Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My 2001 Sprint is set up with th TOR pipe and at times a K&N filter. I had the dealership check the tuning before I got the pipe and they mapped it with the TOR tuning. But I feel like its running too rich. My exaust tip has lots of carbon and until I hit about 2500rpm there is a bit of lag/rough running then a "hit" of power. (almost like an old 2 stroke) plus when comming to a stop the bike will sometimes die when jsut before I come to a stop with the clutch in.

So, I am wondering if anyone has a tuneboy or similar device and the ability to use it...AND...will be willing to lend a hand? I would take it back to the dealer, but feel like I will get the same results.

Thanks,
M

·
Super Moderator
22,109 Posts
You can't just use someone else's Tuneboy unless you purchase a license key for your bike - each key is only registered to one ECM only and is blocked for another ECM unless a new key is registered into the system.
In order to purchase a key, first the Tuneboy has to be connected to get the ECM number, then it needs to be sent to Tuneboy - along with the payment of $199 AUD & and key will be sent back within a couple of days.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
If you have a lag in the low area I'd say the map profile is lean at idle and off idle then enrichens past the 2000 point. Sounds like you have a hole there in the low area. You say you sometimes and sometimes not run a K&N so which tune did they load and how are you running it? You have 4 chances to be off on the tune this way.
I'd suggest normalize it to something have the tune loaded for that application and stay there.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
There is only ONE available TOR tune for the 2001 Sprint.

One size fits all, right? :rolleyes:

Sorry, I've seen the tune for the TOR, FILTER, TOR/w Filter.
In fact while mine was in for the Stubbie dyno testing session about 3 weeks ago, this came up. Since I'm pumping greater than stock fuel pressure and running richer than normal, the tuner tried the free filter with TOR mapping but we got better results with the straight TOR mapping. I always run a stock filter and no way was I going to try a K&N. We spent over 3 hours on the dyno trying every conceivable combination and ended up with a reading of 112 hp corrected, not gross, and an absolutely flat line from idle to WOT cut off. Can't get much better than that.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Hey Mark,
Unless you cleaned the tip after I sent it the tip was pretty black to begin with. Just an FYI
Tom

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
I've never seen ANY Triumph tune across the entire model range that has an option for filter - on later models (like yours) options are std, SAI, TOR, TOR w SAI

on 2001, std, TOR or rare, std with closed loop catalyst.
Then I guess you haven't seen everything then. Sorry Ken I trust my tuners, the professional racers and real race bike builders I'm acquainted with.

And yes, the 2001 has the other options too. I checked with my tuner today after reading this. Like I said Ken, they are professionals I don't seek advice from amateurs.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Since I was going to be spending time at my dealers today, I thought I would ask about this.

They said the only official Triumph tunes they have access to are differentiated by exhaust, Catalytic converter, or SAI; no accommodation for air filter. They said, to the best of their knowledge, anything else would have to be a custom map via TuneEdit.

That is what I was told. Conceivably, a tuner could have other means of remapping the ECU but I am not certain what that would be.

While we were discussing this, they did mention that the new T'bird was going to have more than the normal tune availability because tuning and big bore kits will be available for it.

675 tuning is a whole other world depending on the bike level.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Mmagus,
If you are interested in a Tuneboy it is a good investment and there are tunes that are user made readily available.

I haven't seen any official Triumph Tunes that accommodate for filtration but that being said I don't doubt that Don's tuners had access to tunes like that since they are easily made. I know some people who know some people who sometimes do lunch so I'll see what I can find out when my people get in touch with their people.

Triumph Performance USA makes many of their own tunes to work with their performance parts specifically.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi all,

Thanks for the information, suggestions, and information. I will add a small bit myself.

A while back as some of you may recall, my MPG dropped dramatically. In an effort to recover it I tried numerous things. One of them was replacing my air filter, I opted for a K&N at that time, but kept the "old" one as it was still very clean.

When that didnt help, I took it to the dealership. They found nothing at all "wrong" with it and told me that they had "no tune mappings to accomadate a K&N filter". They did, however drop in the TOR mapping at my request because as I said I was searching for solutions. Once again, that didnt helpmy MPG, though the throttle responce was better, if a little laggy on the bottom end.

I did find a very very very small leak due to a bad oring and that brought the mpg back a bit...though not all the way.

I then had a shot at the TOR pipe which arrived nice a clean as stated above. I figured Heck, since my MPG is stinking I might as well have fun while doing it. And I have...but when I installedthe pipe I found that mylow end lag wasmore pronounced and the "hit" was bigger...thus the question regarding tuning. I wish i had the $$ to dropon a tunboy...though many more trips to the dealership and I could have bought one I suppose. lol

Thanks again for all your help everyone.

M

1 - 13 of 13 Posts