Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11,171 Posts
High seats rock: more lean angle with straighter legs. You just have to, maybe, swing your bum to the side to stop.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I have seen young kids riding bikes that were way too tall for them by typical adult standards. It all comes down to being swift enough to be able to fall to a known side and catch to make a tripod with one leg. Taking off presents a challenge too. This method is not conducive to safe operation on public roads, but it's OK in dirt.

You can lower my supermoto about an inch or so without much trouble by slipping the forks and remounting the rear shock. When I weighed 340, I considered it because at that weight the bike was really too tall for me too. I was surprised that after I'd lost a hundred pounds, the bike seemed so much less tall. I think it was because the diameter of my thighs had shrunk so much that it was easier to swing the thigh up over the seat. The bike does not seem tall at all now after the 120+ pound loss. I'm expecting that, as I head toward the so-called normal weight range, that the bike will be even more fun.

For the inseam challenged, one thing you might consider is to buy some boots that will take inserts, or that are already somewhat elevated. I think that another 2 or 3 inches on the inseam would make a supermoto feasible for someone who was at 5' 6" already.

Is it worth the trouble? I dunno .... to each his own. I view the supermoto as safety equipment. There are roads here with off camber switchbacks, eroded shoulders, no guardrails, cliff drop offs on one side and cliff walls on the other, farm equipment, deer, etc. Taking those roads on with the Rocket III Touring could be suicidal. On the supermoto, its just a lot of fun.

·
Registered
11,171 Posts
I got a question.

If an ordinary single cylinder dirt-bike is converted to a dirt-asphalt bike, it is a Supermotard.

If it is bigger and has a twin cylinder donk, like the stuff Ducati, Aprilia and KTM make, it is a Hypermotard.

What is a Motard?

·
Registered
606 Posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermoto

the hypermotard is a ducati model name...I don't think you will see any ducati hypermotards on a supermoto dirt/paved track with jumps...too heavy...those big bikes aren't true supermotos

·
Registered
968 Posts
I got a question.

If an ordinary single cylinder dirt-bike is converted to a dirt-asphalt bike, it is a Supermotard.

If it is bigger and has a twin cylinder donk, like the stuff Ducati, Aprilia and KTM make, it is a Hypermotard.

What is a Motard?
KTM doesn't call their big SM a hypermotard. Hypermotard is a concoction of the Ducati marketing department, hyper being even more extreme than super.

Motard implies a motorcycle, moto and motard being interchangeable.

A supermoto is specifically created for racing in supermoto competition. Supermoto competition includes both asphalt and dirt segments. The bike has to be competitive in both environments in order to be successful.

KTM's 690 supermoto is widely regarded as one of the best. BMW's effort (which I have) is widely regarded as underpowered and overweight, even with 53 hp and 321 wet pounds.

At the simplest level, you could take a 450 cc UJM dirt bike, slap a set of sport bike tires on it, and call it a supermoto.

In the case of the Ducati hypermotard, there was never any intention that it would be competitive in real supermoto racing. Same with the KTM 990 SM/T. These bikes are light and nimble, with a propensity to raise the front wheel, but neither one would be a good choice for a supermoto race.

·
Registered
11,171 Posts
I am not a stranger to these Motard places, I have spent plenty of time on punchy, tall-seated KTM's. It is the nomenclature I find confusing.

I am not convinced that Motard implies Motorcycle, and just as equally unconvinced that Moto and Motard are interchangeable. I have seen no evidence of your explanation anywhere, Rocket.

I am perplexed as to where Moto popped up from. The words Motorcycle, Motorbike and Bike had sufficed for ages then suddenly the GP became the MotoGP and everyone began moto-prefixing anything to do with bikes.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I am not a stranger to these Motard places, I have spent plenty of time on punchy, tall-seated KTM's. It is the nomenclature I find confusing.

I am not convinced that Motard implies Motorcycle, and just as equally unconvinced that Moto and Motard are interchangeable. I have seen no evidence of your explanation anywhere, Rocket.

I am perplexed as to where Moto popped up from. The words Motorcycle, Motorbike and Bike had sufficed for ages then suddenly the GP became the MotoGP and everyone began moto-prefixing anything to do with bikes.
So what do you think it means?

They've been around a long time.

Personally I like supermoto better than supermotard. My wife uses the motard term, probably trying to be "more correct." Motard sounds sort of like the bike's developmentally slow.

Maybe its different in Australia. Maybe the word doesn't make sense since non English speakers probably came up with it.

·
Registered
11,171 Posts
So what do you think it means?
Dunno. That is why I asked. I call a single cylinder bitumen-going road bike less than 130 kg a Motard; so I am with your Missus. Incidentally, in the Urban Dictionary you will find reference to your fear of the word.

Otherwise I call motorcycles "bikes", as does the law in their signage.

Maybe the word doesn't make sense since non English speakers probably came up with it.
That makes the most sense.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Incidentally, in the Urban Dictionary you will find reference to your fear of the word.
It's not fear. It's distaste. In a politically incorrect way, the word sounds retarded. Motard? Sounds like F*cktard, or R*tard, or B*stard... Do we have any words that aren't a bit fishy that end in "TARD?" I can't think of one.

Otherwise I call motorcycles "bikes", as does the law in their signage.
Not around here. In this neck of the woods they're typically referred to motor driven cycle in law, and on signage, they're referred to as motorcycles.

So ... we used to have a saying that "The native speaker is always right." And this is probably true. When in Rome, speak as the Romans speak.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Thanks for all the info! You guys got me pretty amped up! Looks like I'll be spending a lot of time on craigslist.

·
Registered
11,171 Posts
Good luck Sem.

There is a guy on the KTM website who was selling 2008 Duke-R blinged to the t!ts very cheaply recently.

His handle is Morpheus - I think.

Lemme know if you want any further info or details.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts