Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you guys ever rechrome your mufflers to hide the bluing/golding of the pipes? Ive heard of using blu-job to clean them but not sure how long lasting that is.

Bike always looks like new but the mufflers stick out like a sore thumb despite the "classic" triumph look of discolored pipes

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Seems not be be a single "best fix" for this, or else everyone would have it or do it. Big bucks Raask pipes, black paint, mummy wrap, blue seem to be the only options. I choose blue because it is the cheapest. LOL

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the leads, I came across something called jet hot coating which does the inner and outer pipe and is guaranteed for 3 yrs. I'll see where this leads

Dave-

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
Hi Dave,
I don't own a Thrux but I do love them and have always had a soft spot for cafe' racers in general.

Many years ago when I was in the habit of crashing rather more frequently than one aught to.

I had a four into two system for my cafe' racer Honda 500 four, mufflers filled and re-chromed, one side was badly grazed after a crash.

The job was done in Auckland New Zealand where I grew up and the job was brilliant, they were as good as or better than new and cheaper than buying the very expensive replacment aftermarket mufflers.

cheers,
DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Ive heard of using blu-job to clean them but not sure how long lasting that is.

Hey Dave,

If you look up reviews for blu-job you'll see a 50/50 split of opinions on whether it works or not. I thought the main reason it didn't work for some was that they didn't give it enough time or effort but it can't be that all those people are just not rubbing hard enough...there has to be another reason it only works for some of us.
Read my experience at this post: http://www.triumphrat.net/1160704-post43.html

I have to do it again but it's my own damn fault for leaving the bike warming up too long with the choke engaged AGAIN! But it's not as bad as the first time and the re-polish time was 15 min. as opposed to 2 hours.

Just my 2 cents....good luck!:cool:

Carlos

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Funny you posted that. I bought the blu job and did one pipe and it came out good, id say over 80% of the blue/gold is gone.

Bought a second container and im doing the other pipe now. I use a mild abrasive kitchen sponge and it works good.

I think Ill do the ai removal kit before i start the bike, ive heard some pipes rarely blue once the ai is out and it runs cooler. I just hope putting the pipes back on are easier that taking then off alone. Had to drop the oil filter and still there was barely enough room to get at the exhaust bolts w/out cussing up a storm.

stay tuned for pics.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Best bet is to ceramic . Good ceramic looks looks like polished aluminum . Performance Coatings claims to have a " Chromex " that supposed to resemble chrome .

·
Registered
161 Posts
I think Ill do the ai removal kit before i start the bike, ive heard some pipes rarely blue once the ai is out and it runs cooler.
I did have the ai removal kit installed at day one and it blued maybe 3 inches...then I made the mistake of leaving the bike turned on and unattended (that's also a big mistake with your girlfriend:D)

Good Luck with it.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Nice job!

Hi Dave
Looks real nice - it's difficult to see from the photos but did the scrubbing dull down the chrome any? - I was surprised at the amount of blue-ing originally as it went all the way round! On mine it goes round the first pipe bend and 1/3 of the way down. Have you taken it out and put many miles on it yet? You'll have to post another later to let us know if / when / how much / how quickly (or not) any blue comes back!
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the kind words. I think I may have dulled some chrome off as I used an abrasive pad and blue job as I had a lot of blue/purple and gold pipes down past the second bend.

Its 20* and snowy here so no rides for a while. I plan to do the ai removal and then after that, see how much bluing occurs. Pipes are single wall chrome so some rubbing may have dulled it a bit. Cant really tell as the layer of chrome seems thin to begin with.

Looks better than the tri colored pipes I think. I little bluing gives it character, too much, maybe not.

Lets hope for a quick winter

Dave-

1 - 14 of 14 Posts