Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't know about the radiator, but oil cooler looks like std Triumph 10 bar cooler off 02+ Daytona or 05-06 Speed Triple
Gee so much for oversized!
My 09:

Are we going with bigger is better on this one? Would there be any practical advantage to having the larger 05-07 oil cooler on a newer 09?

·
Super Moderator
22,199 Posts
It's absolutely possible - only (also) the lines are different I think (check the fiche)
You would have to believe that the bigger cooler (more surface area to exchange heat) must be more efficient. Does that translate to anything worth anything re performance or wear? Honestly couldn't say.
For the radiator, You could say the same thing - size-wise I mean and the net effect on the coolant temperature - however there you have alternative options just in changing the actual coolant that will give improved results over glycol mix.
There's an excellently documented thread in the Sprint forum that is well worth a look.
http://www.triumphrat.net/sprint-forum/177150-cool-ing-experiment.html

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Alright well, I guess then, you just sucked me in. "Possible". I do believe the theory: more cooling space is more cooling, and the idea that cooler oil for longer periods is better, how much of a difference will this make? Even if very little, it'll be fun to do. Sadly we aren't even going to have non-scientific numbers because once I do dive in we won't have any kind of pre-numbers ie. running idle @ X amt of time=Y degrees engine oil temp etc. Im just way too brash a guy for that. But what we will have is a list of components ready in case anyone else wants to waste their precious time and money.
This site needs someone to try it and post it, Yeah? You guys have all taken the leap, made the sacrifice for the cause, so WTH? Right?

So to get this (slowly) started:
1) New cooler
2) New lines, I'm assuming its simply length and angles spec differences, not mount/attachment differences, yeah?
What about those attachment brackets? Its seems they'd need to be different, but can't be sure. Any one? I'm still studying BikeBandit's film for better info...
Everyone feel free to chime in.

1st: anyone getting rid of used, good shape 05-early07 coolers/lines brackets etc?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oil coolers: $406 or so at BB.
Oil lines: $64/feed
$117/return

Whose got a cooler? Hmmm?

Looking at the images tho DEcosse you think those lines look different?

·
Super Moderator
22,199 Posts
The lines are definitely different, but believe it's just the length - so I think going from small cooler to large you could probably re-use (but not the other way) although may not look quite as neat.

I checked the fiche - the lines and cooler on the 02-06 Daytona 955 are identical to the 05-06 Speed Triple (need to be careful with 06 - that's when it changes mid-year)
You also need the Right hand bracket which changes for the large cooler T2100280

Here's set of lines cheap
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Triu...9549791QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

The only cooler I could find on EBay is this one - price bit steep though

Check with PinWall or Baxter to see if they have a Daytona (02-06) or Speed Triple (05-06) - may have but not listed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.