Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my bike for its first mot yesterday it passed with an advisory and no further work needed. The advisory was a slight pulsing of the front brakes picked up on their testing machine.The guy said it will be with the bike for life and was probably caused by the pads being in contact with discs during long periods of the bike being 'laid up'.I do lay the bike up over the winter for up to 5 months.I can't see how the pads can cause minor indentations to the discs from this ?
They were'nt after anymore work or money from me and said it was nothing to worry about,just their brake testing machine is very sensitive.their exact words on the mot 'front roller brake test indicates slight fluctuation of brake effort (3.3.Ald)Anyone ever heard of this ?

·
Super Moderator
8,868 Posts
There was a thread about a year ago where someone was getting rotors replaced for this reason.
They may / may not have been putting the bike away wet and the close proximity of the pads to the rotors was allowing the corrosive elements to focus on the rotors , pitting them .

If you don't notice the pulsations , just take the advisory and throw it in the trash. OR become paranoid about it and use it as a reason to get some nice "wavy" rotors:GoodLookin

·
Registered
185 Posts
Where did you get it done in the end hac?

If you cant feel any pulsing its not going to be significant to worry about I would think.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi

Yeah here is a link to the old thread:
http://www.triumphrat.net/speed-triple-forum/103266-pitted-front-discs-on-08-any-comments.html

My guess would be that if you look at your disks you will be able to see some pitting in the surface. Maybe not to the extent of the tread above but my guess is it is there.

In triumphs own words the pitting is caused when water bridges the gap between the pad and the disk and causes a chemical reaction that causes the pitting, and that pitting is what causes the judder which is being picked up on your MOT. They say it is not a material fault - however my opinion differs ;-)

My pitting appeared after only a few days of putting it away wet and the only way to get rid of it that I have found it to brake like hell and do an endo every time you use the front brake. That polishes it up nicely....until it goes out in the rain again!

·
Registered
209 Posts
I swear my bike does this (pulsing at lower speeds on the brakes).

Not sure if it's related or not but also when my bike is on the front paddock stand, when i spin the wheel it feels like there is some resistance and then it spins REALLY freely for half a turn or so.

At first i though this was something simple like the weights on the wheel pulling it down but it isn't happening in the same place as the weights.

Is this related and if so what's the cure? New discs under warranty? Would it just do it again as said before?
As long as it's safe it's not causing me a problem (other than being quite annoying sometimes!).

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
169 Posts
I swear my bike does this (pulsing at lower speeds on the brakes).

Not sure if it's related or not but also when my bike is on the front paddock stand, when i spin the wheel it feels like there is some resistance and then it spins REALLY freely for half a turn or so.

At first i though this was something simple like the weights on the wheel pulling it down but it isn't happening in the same place as the weights.

Is this related and if so what's the cure? New discs under warranty? Would it just do it again as said before?
As long as it's safe it's not causing me a problem (other than being quite annoying sometimes!).

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
Same here, was mentioned when i was having tyres fitted, have forced the pistons back in the caliper to make sure they wernt sticking, feel the pulsing a bit, havnt mot'd it yet to see if they pick anything up
Mark

·
Registered
155 Posts
I had a little(mostly at low speed) on my 09 Speed.

The calipers were cleaned at the 12000 mile service it was OK after that.

I was riding with some Sprint owners last weekend and they have some major problems with their brakes.

One guy with an 07 was on his his third set of discs(rotors).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts