Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All;

I am looking at putting some rear sets on my Legend to get more ground clearance. (I keep scrapping the pegs on a regular)

I have heard Raask rear sets have really gone down in quality

Anyone here have any experience with these?

http://www.fastfromthepast.com/servlet/the-378/Universal-Rearsets-Folding-Rubber/Detail

They look nice and are rubber coated which is a plus.

If anyone has em on their Legend or Thunderbird how good are they & is it easy to install?

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I have a set and below are a couple photos. For brackets I had a local company copy the TBS rearset brackets out of (IIRC) 5/8 inch thick aluminum that I painted black. Do not buy the shift arms from them as you will need to use a Triumph shift arm. I used one from a TBS that I carefully drilled out the linkage and the connector pin fit it perfectly.

For the rear brake I took a straight fork washer, heated and bent it so it would attach to the rear master cylinder. The rear master cylinder needed to be moved down similar to a TBS. I do not have an updated photo of the rear master cylinder so you will see in the photo that there is only one bolt holding it. I now have two with a bracket behind the master cylinder holding it in place with the lower bolt run through the cover and non-OEM bracket snugged up. If you give me a couple days I can take an updated photo. The rear brake you may end up doing your own thing.

I like them and they do make the bike much more comfortable to ride longer distances...:)

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
BRG Bird, that is one clean, well kept bike! Nice.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Nice set up BRG-BIRD :)

I fitted TBS footrests to my Legend - possible as it has a 3-1 exhaust & no exhaust pipe clearance issues for the gearchange linkage on the left.

For the rear brake, it is ESSENTIAL to properly re-align the rear brake master cylinder. I didn't get it quite right with my 1st effort & the master cylinder actuating rod jammed with the brake on....not good at all.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BRG-Bird;

Thanks for the info. I would love to see some updated photos

I will be ordering them soon.

IrlMike;

Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Thanks for the kind words gents!

Saadi please give me the weekend to get you better photos and description especially of the rear brake bracket as like IrlMike stated it is essential it works properly. Mine did not initially and almost caused an accident...:)

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Here are some better photos. The bracket that I tried to get a photo of sits behind the master cylinder and the bottom part of the master cylinder rests on it with one side of it bent up to keep it from moving down. The lower bolt going through the guard keeps the master cylinder from moving up and causing it to jam like it did before.

I made the bracket out of aluminum but this winter I am going to have one made out of stainless steel as it is stronger. The reason why is the master cylinder does rest against it when the lower bolt is snugged up which has tweaked it slightly although not enough to create an issue. Not the cleanest install or fabrication but it does work...:)

Hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BRG-Bird;

Thanks for the write up it's very helpful.

·
Registered
233 Posts
BTW, the 2000 Legend has both mounting holes for the master cylinder. It swung over and mounted perfectly. I'll take some pics when I get a chance.

·
Registered
373 Posts
hmm.. wonder if my 2000 adventurer has both mounting holes.. i'll have to check it out then.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts