Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Triumph Thruxton RS
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally finished with personalizing my Thruxton RS. Mostly ridden on weekends and track days... occasionally used as a commuter for work. While most of my mods are on the common side. And unlike with my other motorcycle... I have yet to make any changes that I regret. Fender eliminator, micro turnsignals, slip-on's, steering damper, breakaway levers are on order, etc...etc. While I have no regrets on my mods...are there any mods that you regret?
Fuel tank Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Bicycle tire Vehicle Automotive tire

Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Nothing on the TR I bought in 2017 other than crappy quality and hard to see British Customs blinkers which I've replaced. But in 2016 I plowed (what with 20/20 hindsight was) a not very smart amount of money into FCR39 carbs and a hot cam on my '02 Bonnie. That resulted in modest power gains and a bike that went from being smooth, predictable and perfect for what it was to a bike that only ran right at sea level and gasped for air any time I went into the mountains. I sold it a year later.

The moral of the story is if you're chasing power gains on a bike you're probably better off just buying a more powerful motorcycle in the first place. *Unless you really want to have the fastest slow bike on the block or enjoy the process of tinkering as much as the eventual outcome or have more money than you know what to do with.

·
Premium Member
'08 Bonneville, '17 Thruxton R, '22 Tiger Sport 660, '99 R1100S, '65 Ducati 350
23,389 Posts
Other than knee pads and a flyscreen, I don't have any mods on my Thrux R. I had the fairing on for a bit but I took it off. It didn't do much to block the wind and my bum shoulder didn't like the lower clip-ons. I had a taller flyscreen on it at first but it worked too well, so I went with the smaller one and it's perfect.

Oh, here's something I regret: installing Pirelli Angel GT tires. The grip is fine but being Pirelli tires the lifespan is just too short.

·
Registered
2020 Triumph Thruxton RS
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Other than knee pads and a flyscreen, I don't have any mods on my Thrux R. I had the fairing on for a bit but I took it off. It didn't do much to block the wind and my bum shoulder didn't like the lower clip-ons. I had a taller flyscreen on it at first but it worked too well, so I went with the smaller one and it's perfect.

Oh, here's something I regret: installing Pirelli Angel GT tires. The grip is fine but being Pirelli tires the lifespan is just too short.
Thanks for the heads up on the tires. I'm already reading up on replacements for my factory tires. I do ride on the street pretty hard...but these things are just wearing away too quickly.

·
Registered
2020 Triumph Thruxton RS
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you thought about that chain guard?

Cheers
Amerigo
I was thinking about taking mine off this winter. And trying to drill some lightening holes down the side. Then maybe reshooting it in gloss black. Just to keep me busy in the off season.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Speaking of tires, I'm both astounded and happy to report I'm at 13,000 km on a set of Road 5's. Not even at the wear bars although the front is getting close. Great tires and at the risk of sounding like a Michelin shill I've already bought the 6's. Might not swap 'em out until Spring because not at wear bars yet and I'm still able to use them to the outside edges comfortably and predictably. Did so earlier today. If you can outride these tires on a TR on the street I would love to ride with you - or at least behind you and try and keep up.

Reactions: leftarmlogan

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Speaking of chain guards, far as I can tell you don't need them at all. Risk taking is fun.

• Haha
Reactions: Cleveland Rider

·
Premium Member
'08 Bonneville, '17 Thruxton R, '22 Tiger Sport 660, '99 R1100S, '65 Ducati 350
23,389 Posts
Michelin Road 5s are indeed awesome tires. 👍

·
Registered
Thruxton R 2019, Rocket Roadster 2012
338 Posts
Thruxton R .....Bought a MotionPro slacksetter chain adjustment tool, and couldn't for the life of me see how to make it work either on my Thruxton or my Africa Twin.
Tried a Booster Plug (to smooth out bottom end) made no difference at all - got refund
Tried running without snorkel - made no difference.
Plenty of things I have added that HAVE been great though (cruise control, Roadlok, pillion pegs and seat, H&B rack, fenda extenda, continental tyres ....)
Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts