Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed coolant leak on my cylinder head so took it to the dealer. He said it is leaking through the cylinder head due to a bad cast (note: that may not be quite right but that is the gist of it, manufacturing defect, need to replace the cylinder head). Bike is a 2017 T120 with 4200 miles on it and out of warranty. He is sending in the documentation to see if they will cover it. Does anyone have any dealings with the company on anything like this? Really hoping they step up and do the right thing.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Noticed coolant leak on my cylinder head so took it to the dealer. He said it is leaking through the cylinder head due to a bad cast (note: that may not be quite right but that is the gist of it, manufacturing defect, need to replace the cylinder head). Bike is a 2017 T120 with 4200 miles on it and out of warranty. He is sending in the documentation to see if they will cover it. Does anyone have any dealings with the company on anything like this? Really hoping they step up and do the right thing.
It's hit or miss, BUT your dealer is your advocate. If he/she tells Triumph the bike has been serviced properly and is well taken care of they can have a lot of influence in the outcome.

Could be a defective casting which would definitely be a manufacturing defect or a failed head gasket, o-ring, or seal.

Let us know the outcome and good luck.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I do. My T120 stopped downshifting and the dealership blamed me. I sent an email directly to Triumph and they immediately got involved and fixed it under warranty. I highly recommend sending them an email

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
I had a front end wobble with hands off the bars. The dealer said not to take hands off bars and that the mechanic would not do so to verify the problem. Also, the dealer is required to give you a diagnostic readout when the bike is serviced. Mine didn’t and didn’t know about it. It’s in the service manual. I think the issue was whether the throttle bodies were balanced. I called Triumph in Atlanta and they intervened. Got the headstock bearing tightened, which stabilized the front end, and they gave me a readout, which was incomplete because of computer illiteracy.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I'm thinking.......
out of warranty out of luck.

Paul

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I had 13 broken spokes on my rear wheel on my out of warranty 2018 T120. My dealer, San Diego Triumph, acted on my behalf and got me a new wheel. I paid mounting and balancing. Very fair and quick.
You shouldn't have had to pay anything. T-USA should have reimbursed the dealer in full... but still better than no help at all.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I had a 2018 Street Triple whose head was leaking oil through the head due to a bad casting.

My dealer had to go back and forth with Triumph multiple times trying various things. They explained that a bad casting is rare so Triumph was having them check many things.

In the end, Triumph replaced the head under warranty. It took about a month from the time I dropped it off with the dealer to when I got it back.

During that time I talked with the dealer multiple times, they talked with Triumph multiple times, and I talked to Triumph multiple times. Don't be afraid to call Triumph and ask what's going on. Unfortunately, it seemed they weren't great at communicating. There were times I was telling the dealer things they hadn't heard yet from Triumph.

Good luck and I hope it gets worked out for you quickly!

Reactions: roadscum

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had a 2018 Street Triple whose head was leaking oil through the head due to a bad casting.

My dealer had to go back and forth with Triumph multiple times trying various things. They explained that a bad casting is rare so Triumph was having them check many things.

In the end, Triumph replaced the head under warranty. It took about a month from the time I dropped it off with the dealer to when I got it back.

During that time I talked with the dealer multiple times, they talked with Triumph multiple times, and I talked to Triumph multiple times. Don't be afraid to call Triumph and ask what's going on. Unfortunately, it seemed they weren't great at communicating. There were times I was telling the dealer things they hadn't heard yet from Triumph.

Appreciate the response, yours is the story I was hoping to hear, your experience with the back and forth was how the dealer said it would probably play out. I'm already two weeks in, they can't order the parts in advance because Triumph won't reimburse and since it's rare they might not have the parts in the US which means further delays because apparently customs is holding everything up these days. I'm honestly hoping to have it sometime in July.

·
Registered
61 Posts
You shouldn't have had to pay anything. T-USA should have reimbursed the dealer in full... but still better than no help at all.
Not necessarily. If its considered a "Goodwill" warranty for whatever reason, its not uncommon for a manufacturer to pay for parts and either the dealer or the customer to pay for labour. I negotiated a few of those when I worked the service department in dealerships, and looked after warranter for a manufacturer.

Reactions: Jessica.SoCal

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Another T120 that wouldn't downshift here. To get to the guts of the shifter the left side cover had to come off, and the entire clutch had to be removed. My local dealer did a great job though their parts department initially refused the necessary parts shipment and the parts went back to Triumph, causing a ten day delay. Triumph North America got involved, everything came out well, and there has been no trouble since. There was always the lemon law option, since the bike was under warranty at the time. Had the job gone completely haywire I could return the bike if the job took longer than 30 days, but it didn't. The bike's been great, and I feel fortunate that I didn't have to seriously consider that option.

I remember the story of another owner on these pages. The welding on the center stand brackets on his new T120 failed and he ended up with an entire new frame, provided by Triumph under warranty. So basically, every part on the bike had to be transferred to the new frame. That warranty job came out well, too, IIRC. This was the only incidence of this particular problem reported. The brackets and their welds look plenty beefy and well designed on my bike, which is an early 2016 model.

My bike has otherwise proven to be perfectly reliable. I didn't purchase an extended warranty and I'm comfortable with that.

·
Registered
951 Posts

It pays to support local dealers and build a relationship based on mutual trust and respect. If you only show up at the dealership when you need their help it's likely they won't be interest in going the extra mile for you.

Paul

·
Registered
349 Posts
Appreciate the response, yours is the story I was hoping to hear, your experience with the back and forth was how the dealer said it would probably play out. I'm already two weeks in, they can't order the parts in advance because Triumph won't reimburse and since it's rare they might not have the parts in the US which means further delays because apparently customs is holding everything up these days. I'm honestly hoping to have it sometime in July.
I was hoping my story would be "helpful" if for nothing else than to maybe give you an idea what to expect. It was frustrating, but the dealer was great and, honestly, Triumph wasn't bad. They were doing what they had to do. The only disappointing part was the lack of communication and miscommunication between Triumph and the dealer.

It pays to support local dealers and build a relationship based on mutual trust and respect. If you only show up at the dealership when you need their help it's likely they won't be interest in going the extra mile for you.

Paul
I agree completely!

The dealership was great! (At least the service side was). I felt bad each time I called them and apologized and tried to let them know I wasn't trying be one of those guys. I think the service guys understood it. And, the mechanic was cool even showing me things he had done to troubleshoot, how he put things back together, etc. without me even asking.

When it was all fixed, I bought each of the service managers and the mechanic a 6 pack. I felt it was the least I could do for them!

Reactions: roadscum

·
Registered
308 Posts

Paul
I wish it worked that way with all dealerships, but it doesn't. I'm just looking for honest service, at a reasonable cost. My local Triumph dealership is owned by some large dealership group, they change personnel like running water, I've tried to buy bikes from them but they want MSRP plus tons of BS fees, their hrly service price is outrageous. I had bought two bikes under the previous owners. To top it off, when my still under warranty T120 transmission stopped shifting they blamed me, stating I dropped the bike, but never had any evidence of that, because it never happened. They hadn't opened it up to find the issue, either, they just wanted me to pay for it. When I got Triumph involved to cover it, and they did, the dealership still wrote all over my paperwork in huge writing "customer dropped bike, bent shift lever". A complete lie. Maybe dealerships used to care about relationships, but most don't anymore. I sold that bike, and when I'm done with my BMW K1600 (same dealership), I'll buy a different brand. They sell bikes I want, but I can't, in good conscience, do business with them.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
951 Posts
A six pack has always gone a long way to cement relations in a bike shop
I take donuts, enough for everyone at the dealership, form from a local bakery and get to the dealership just before the morning coffee break. Offen they invite me to join them in the coffee room and the bonding continues, that's when we get to know first names. I think donuts are a good bet because some at the dealership may not drink and because I offen get invited to join in.... and I luv donuts. 😯

When my out of warranty '09 scrambler with cams. high compression pistons, headwork, etc....need a new starter. The Service manager said we'll try to help your out.. It's all stock right, and winked. He himself had ridden the bike a month earlier just to see how well it performed with all the motor work. A year after that the Paint on my track prepared Dayton 657 had issues... caused by tape I applied for a track day. The service manger knew the circumstances but pushed Triumph for a new fairing... and was successful. The donuts that went to those folks payed huge dividends. 😁

Paul

·
Registered
14 Posts
The shifting mechanism on my 2017 T100 broke after 2,000 miles. Triumph footed the whole bill. But I was still in warranty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It’s a very mixed bag. It all depends on who you deal with on both dealership and T. North America. I can’t divulge more of my personal knowledge due to privileged info. That being said; the dealer is always the best place to start, However some dealers don’t have the best internal processing. A case number is where it all starts, that number is the key to sanity. At times, it becomes burdensome for dealers to get reimbursed, or due to the size of TNA in their showroom.
It gets all corporate gummed up, but how the tech enters the notes, the service writer enters it on the RO, the service managers mood and lastly how the case is opened within TNA. They all have to line up in harmony, human error enters into play hugely! If someone in the chain drops the ball, didn't cc the right person and so on, it causes delays and the issue to be stretched out or put in the back of the pile because pay work is more. From there TNA does care very much, but they too have personnel changes and new management, etc. I’ve seen transformations that have made me smile and cringe.
In a nutshell, there are a great folks that have worked there, but not everyone has years of experience and the learning curve for both people dealing with it on a corporate level can have the consumer left hanging. This unfortunate when dropping your hard earned money on a product that for whatever reason is not in your garage waiting to ride. Dealers want to get paid, the company wants to assure they aren’t getting misinformation, meanwhile you’re out a bike. Wisely I always do like to express that I don’t like paying a note on a product that is not in a state of use, you shouldn’t either? “so, I just wanted to ask, should I make my monthly payment? Start saving up for a costly repair?“ That’s my gentle way..
Sorry to anyone that has had issues, have seen it from every angle, have owned several as well, new old, and ancient. I can sympathize with everyone in the entire process, I still believe In them as the best European manufacture. If you want to buy a brick shithouse Alternative, buy a bike from the Tuning fork company, I’ve have surfed that Wave For a while too. Alas that’s my two sense. Feel free to pm me if more details needed.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts