Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a black 08 model and I was thinking about painting it Porshe RED , removing the fly screen and scoop , and putting clip-ons on it for the Summer.
What do you guys think of this color?
The black is great but I guess this is a way to make believe I have a new bike without the expense.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think a Speedy would look good in red. It would certainly be different from the norm. If you do it, it should go without saying that you have to post pics.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went to a race car custom painter today. He is going to do in the Porshe Red "guard" color. He will be using Imron paint and clear coat and he has 40 years experience.

It should turn out really sweet! I am going to have him use the old Triumph stencils that has has in his shop for the lettering on the tank. I'll also have him pin stripe the wheels RED.
Man, I can't wait. I will be putting LSL clip-ons and a low mount pipe with a single headlight conversion. That should give a "Thuxton" type of look on the front end. I'll call it the "Thruxton Triple".
I am riding out to Death Valley,CA for a few days next week on the Speedy and then I am haivng it done. Should be mid- March when it's completed. At that time, I'll post a ton of before and after pics.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Dont forget to paint the rear shock spring red!!! How much is it going to cost you? Im assuming your taking all the pieces to him rather than having him paint them on the bike.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya...I'll do all the pics. Promise this time.

Yes...I am taking him all the parts and he will do all the rest including sand/soda blasting and stripping of the plastics and tank and custom font lettering of my choice. He has done this for 40 years. Then, I install everything in the end.

I got a "buddy" cash price of $600. He had the Porshe Imron paint and clear coat left over from a race car he painted. That saved a few hundred.
It should be really sweet! If you guys want to travel to central California area, I'll hook you up.
I'll post detailed pics sometime in March.

The cool thing is that I need to do a service on Speedy anyway. So while the parts are at the painter, I'll do the service since I'll have it all apart.

·
Registered
164 Posts
It should turn out really sweet! I am going to have him use the old Triumph stencils that has has in his shop for the lettering on the tank. .

What do you mean by "old"? If it's the "old" Meridan style graphic then don't do it. Keep it Hinckley as it should be.

I've seen a Speed Triple with the Meridan graphic and it doesn't look right.

Customization is all well and good, but don't do something which is just plain wrong.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We are going to paint it completely. Then, we'll hold the stencils on the tank before assembly and decide which graphic to use before the clear coat gets applied. I am also thinking about gold lettering to match the gold vortex rear spocket and the goldish stock exhaust headers maybe? Or, I can have the headers BLACK ceramic coated?

I can post stencil pics over the red tank on this discussion board and you guys can help decide if you want?

·
Registered
309 Posts
My dad bought an '08 Porsche 911 S Cabrio in guardsman red a couple months ago and he got the adaptive sport seats with body color backs and it looks amazing. Guardsman red is a great color and would look awesome on Speedy with the black wheels. I say go for it!

·
Super Moderator
21,183 Posts
... Or, I can have the headers BLACK ceramic coated?...
I have my TL headers out for Satin Black Coating as we speak - should have them back in a week. Very quick turn-around.

Having them done at Performance Coatings in WA. Decent pricing - all prep, front header, collector/rear header and two mid pipes inside AND out - $150!

I have the Chromex finish on my Speed-Tona - which of course is red!

Not a fan of the pin-stripe wheel look myself - think these would be better contrast just to be left black.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I would go with silver or black lettering on the tank, and leave the wheels black. That red does look nice.

·
Registered
83 Posts
It would be Black lettering on the Tank for me. Think it would sit nicely with the wheels, forks etc. Should be cool. Looking forward to pics.

·
Registered
309 Posts
What if you painted/powdercoated the spokes on the wheels guardsman red and left the black lip/outer ring of the rim? I have seen this done with blazin orange and it looks excellent.

·
Registered
62 Posts
We are going to paint it completely. Then, we'll hold the stencils on the tank before assembly and decide which graphic to use before the clear coat gets applied. I am also thinking about gold lettering to match the gold vortex rear spocket and the goldish stock exhaust headers maybe? Or, I can have the headers BLACK ceramic coated?

I can post stencil pics over the red tank on this discussion board and you guys can help decide if you want?
i just got back from my local garage after looking at the mods i am making to SPEEDIE. one word: SICK!!! i have blacked out all the shiny bits and added a TRIDENT half system, along with some other racing parts.

my header pipe and mid-pipe were coated by JET-HOT, and i have to tell you that it looks incredible. i know that several members have talked about rock chips making the finish degrade over time, but when you see the pictures i am pretty sure you will agree that it is bad-ass. (will post later next week.)

i say go for it; i couldn't be happier, and can't wait to get ole bug eyes back on the asphalt!

btw: JET-HOT has been in the game for decades, total pro's. check them out if you are looking for a ceramic coating resource. their product is A+.

www.jet-hot.com (they have expedited shipping, and fantastic customer service, as well.)

·
Registered
35 Posts
ironically skygod...i just finished paintin mine red on thursday....threads just been posted. went with white though for the accents though and prob gonna pc the wheels white as well. Can get'em done for 60 a piece still not sure though....and i love it by the way. Call it an obsession with ferrari, but everything fast should be black or red :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts