Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 60 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
I will say, it's a bigger difference that I had hoped. Hopefully a good tune will make the RS curve flatter like the R. Then again it has plenty of power for the street and I don't even come close to using all of it anyway. I still don't regret the RS purchase, I would have had to wait until now to buy an R, and even the brake upgrade alone is probably worth the extra money.

·
Registered
143 Posts
i agree about the brakes on the RS- the feel and performance are the best i've known. As nice as the bike is i'd have to say the brakes are the highlight feature :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
i agree about the brakes on the RS- the feel and performance are the best i've known. As nice as the bike is i'd have to say the brakes are the highlight feature
The brakes criticism on the R was the most surprising part of the Revzilla article to me. I would have thought they'd be at least comparable to the 675R's Nissin brakes. Maybe there was a bubble in the brake line on their test bike.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
The brakes criticism on the R was the most surprising part of the Revzilla article to me. I would have thought they'd be at least comparable to the 675R's Nissin brakes. Maybe there was a bubble in the brake line on their test bike.
I agree, that seemed off to me. When I was at the dealer he told me the brembos on the R would be better than the nissans on the older models.

·
Registered
143 Posts
regarding the revzilla review, i feel i need to wonder about their opinion on the fueling on the rs. to me it seems super smooth and linear in power delivery (up until 8k+ that is) and not at all like they described. the suspension is firm though but can be adjusted (i just lean forward when going over bumps or stand up a bit - tricks i learned on my d675r)

·
Registered
168 Posts
regarding the revzilla review, i feel i need to wonder about their opinion on the fueling on the rs. to me it seems super smooth and linear in power delivery (up until 8k+ that is) and not at all like they described. the suspension is firm though but can be adjusted (i just lean forward when going over bumps or stand up a bit - tricks i learned on my d675r)
Both of those comes down to personal opinion to some extent. I've heard comments that the 675 is snatchy and others gush over its smoothness.

The one question I should ask on the comments is how much (or if at all) they tried adjusting the suspension for comfort. Unlike other publications, the Revzilla guys typically are really good at answering questions and adding to the discussion in general.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I always read some of these reviews by applying a little discount -- even from the good people that they have @ Revzilla. The brakes on my new R are *amazing* -- super pleased with the brakes. So -- I do not agree that the brakes are vague or whatever terminology they used. I can't imagine how they could be better, but I've yet to pilot an RS for any length of time.

Sent from my LG-V521 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
168 Posts
I always read some of these reviews by applying a little discount -- even from the good people that they have @ Revzilla. The brakes on my new R are *amazing* -- super pleased with the brakes. So -- I do not agree that the brakes are vague or whatever terminology they used. I can't imagine how they could be better, but I've yet to pilot an RS for any length of time.

Sent from my LG-V521 using Tapatalk
That's good to hear. I'm really wondering if it's air in the line. Their long term tester was the RS, they only spent a short amount of time on the R and S. I'd hope if they had that experience on the long term RS test they'd check that everything was ok before the review as it wouldn't surprise me if press bikes get beat up by the guys that had it before you.

·
Registered
51 Posts
From my test ride of the RS, and owning the R, I haven't noticed any huge difference with the breaks in regular street use. Other than the ones on the RS being a lot noisier :) So yeah, their criticism seemed off to me too.
Then again, I'm sure the guys at Revzilla pushed them a lot harder than I did.

·
Registered
780 Posts
From my test ride of the RS, and owning the R, I haven't noticed any huge difference with the breaks in regular street use. Other than the ones on the RS being a lot noisier :) So yeah, their criticism seemed off to me too.
Did you notice a big difference between the two with suspension? Was the RS that much firmer?

Same for the power delivery? Was the difference noticeable?

Just curious, since you're one of the few so far that have ridden both.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Did you notice a big difference between the two with suspension? Was the RS that much firmer?

You must have that RS of yours well past the break in now, any buyers remorse switching from the speed? Does the RS have enough power to keep things interesting?

·
Registered
475 Posts
I'm almost positive those dyno charts were not generated by Revzilla, they look identical to ones posted some time ago elsewhere.

·
Registered
780 Posts
You must have that RS of yours well past the break in now, any buyers remorse switching from the speed? Does the RS have enough power to keep things interesting?

No remorse! I'm very happy with the switch. The amount of weight shed going from the S3 to the RS is a huge difference and that's where I was most disappointed. The Speed handles good for what it is, but it doesn't compare to the nimbleness of the 765. And the power difference, what you lose down low you gain up top. So that comes down to your riding style and preference in power delivery. I was always wanting to rev the Speed out more but it's mostly down low grunt. I can rev the snot out of the RS and get all my giggles on. I do occasionally miss the 3k rpm, give the throttle a squirt, power wheelie. But I also enjoy having the front loft at 9k on the 765. It's a trade off but the weight savings made it worth it. Plus, the brakes, the dash, the suspension...like I said, no buyers remorse here.

·
Registered
108 Posts

How did the power deliver feel. Much different to you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
Same here. I don't agree with the assessment that Sport mode has twitchy throttle response thats too aggressive for the street. I'm not even an aggressive rider and it seems super smooth to me.

·
Registered
51 Posts

Nope and nope.
My feeling is that you'll have to push the bikes a lot harder than I did to notice any significant difference.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Those with 765 R version, can you still turn ABS off like the previous gen? I pull the fuse on my 2014 when going to the track, but I'm guessing that would also kill the traction control. Or maybe the better question is, can you manually adjust the ABS. so that it allows for rear wheel life like in the "track" mode of the RS? Thanks!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Those with 765 R version, can you still turn ABS off like the previous gen? I pull the fuse on my 2014 when going to the track, but I'm guessing that would also kill the traction control. Or maybe the better question is, can you manually adjust the ABS. so that it allows for rear wheel life like in the "track" mode of the RS? Thanks!
Yes, both ABS and TC can be enabled (sport, road, or rain modes) or disabled completely.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have a 2015 and I don't think you have to pull the fuse to disable the ABS - it's available in the menu, unless you're looking not to mess with the menu every time you turn the bike off.

·
Registered
344 Posts
unless you're looking not to mess with the menu every time you turn the bike off.
Yep, that's why. One less thing to remember to do between sessions.

I hope the new 765 remembers what the TC/ABS settings were, so we don't have to reset every time we turn the key.

41 - 60 of 194 Posts