Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am from New Jersey, longtime and committed Honda rider, but seriously zeroing in on the 800 Road, or possibly the 1050. Seems like Honda is playing it safe while others, including Triumph, stepping up their game.

Any one here make the move from the ST1300 to a Tiger, and if so, what was the transition like? Comparison between the 2 bikes? Anything you miss?

Have had the ST for 6 years and thoroughly enjoyed it, but heat and weight have really worn me down. Would enjoy something more fun and nimble.

Thanks for the stories and suggestions!
Den

·
Registered
351 Posts
I've seen a few new Tiger owners on Tiger1050.com talk about their change from an ST to a 1050 Tiger.

They usually miss the windshield and headlights on the ST, but welcome Tiger's ability to shed heat better, and a more long range friendly riding position.

Most really seem to like the bikes abilities and fun factor better too.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've seen a few new Tiger owners on Tiger1050.com talk about their change from an ST to a 1050 Tiger.

They usually miss the windshield and headlights on the ST, but welcome Tiger's ability to shed heat better, and a more long range friendly riding position.

Most really seem to like the bikes abilities and fun factor better too.
Think your thinking Triumph ST, whereas OP is talking Honda (Pan European).

Ive only test ridden a Pan, but I know what you mean about heat, it was a hot day and the heat coming off the engine was almost unbearable, that and the cost of the bike were the only things that really put me off. I would think that for covering serious miles in cooler conditions the Pan would be a great bike, but for the rest of the time the Tiger is far more manageable and more fun. I was impressed with the Pan mind, deceptively fast for a big ol thing.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Think your thinking Triumph ST, whereas OP is talking Honda (Pan European).

Ive only test ridden a Pan, but I know what you mean about heat, it was a hot day and the heat coming off the engine was almost unbearable, that and the cost of the bike were the only things that really put me off. I would think that for covering serious miles in cooler conditions the Pan would be a great bike, but for the rest of the time the Tiger is far more manageable and more fun. I was impressed with the Pan mind, deceptively fast for a big ol thing.
Nope, I mean the Honda ST 1100/1300's.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Nope, I mean the Honda ST 1100/1300's.

Oops, fair enough, think I was surprised by the " and a more long range friendly riding position." But thinking about it depends on your height etc, yep, apart from the stock saddle which for me is a real pain in the butt, the Tiger is very comfy, though Ive got round it with an Airhawk. In my fantasy garage think I would have a Pan(Or similar) for high speed dashes to Germany and the like, but in the real world think the Tiger is one of the best do it all packages about.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Have had the ST for 6 years and thoroughly enjoyed it, but heat and weight have really worn me down. Would enjoy something more fun and nimble.

Den
I have an ST1300 ABS, put 40,000 miles on it. Just got a T800XC ABS, only have 3,000 miles on it.

I love them both. They are VERY different, but then, not so much. These are my current opinions. Your Mileage may vary. The T8 is so smooth, for any RPM it is smoother than the ST. The T8 revs kinda high at highway speed. 6k at actual 80 mph. Vibes are not bad though. The T8 is tall, it fits me very well, better than the ST. After putting 2,500 miles on the T8 I got back on the ST. Felt like such a pig. OK, only for the first ten miles of so as my muscle memory adapted, but it was still a big change.

I guess I was actually looking for a bike that was under damped and under sprung so it would be a dream on badly paved roads (kinda like the BMW). Once I got on the bike on the curvy roads, I could not resist....... The suspension is a bit harsh at first, but it mellows over time. Still firm, but OK on rough roads. The seat is great, and it sucks. Hard to describe, but for really short days, I really like it. Once I get over 8 or 10 hours without walking around, it gets pretty painful. I am 6' 1" and sit very upright with the seat in the high position. The wind noise at speed is pretty high. The turbulent zone behind the screen is pretty big. For me, the noise is pretty much the same as the ST with the shield in the low position. To get quiet air, I either have to remove the screen completely, or raise my head about 4 inches. Since I don't like that much wind on my helmet, I am looking for a good shield. BUT, it is not THAT bad at all and if no one comes up with a great shield, I will have no problem sticking with the stock.

There are too many variables and preferences to tell whether you will like what I like. Try it. Spend some time with it. See if you like it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts