Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
I am considering one... I have an '18 Tuono V4 1100rr and hate that I have to drive 200 miles each way to get it serviced.

I am looking at the Street RS, the newest one, or a Speed RS. Both are a major step down in power from the Tuono, but that doesn't really concern me that much. I have a Street Twin with a paltry 64hp and it's a hoot. My wife has the 208 Street RS and it's a blast to wring it's neck. I imagine that the extra midrange, autoblip and some of the other upgrades make it even better.

The Speed has so much more tq and would be fun, but it's a good bit heavier and costs $4k more... Open to both, but I am really liking the 2020 Street RS... Seems like a screamer...

·
Registered
75 Posts
There was someone on FB asking the same question and I gave them this info:

I bought a 2019 Speed Triple RS as my first Triumph. At 1050cc/148hp, I found it to be a bit of a handful around town. And on the track, it was a lot of work to keep pace with folks on more nimble bikes in the corners. The smaller the track, the worse it was. On big roads and the highway, it was fun though.

I rode a 2018 Street Triple RS and it just didn't feel like it had enough midrange to make it fun on the street to me, so I stuck with the Speed Triple. Then this new 2020 Street Triple RS comes out. I'm not sure what all they did to the bike, but it feels noticeably more powerful than the previous Street Triples, especially in the midrange where I found the older ones to be lacking.

It's not quite Speed Triple torque, but it feels pretty close and similarly fast on top, but it is WAY more nimble than the Speed Triple was. I'd find myself fighting the Speed Triple to get into a corner sometimes, but it is nothing like that on this new Street Triple. It's almost a "think it and it goes there" kinda deal compared to the Speed Triple.

Anyway, I got rid of the 2019 Speed Triple RS and got the 2020 Street Triple RS. On the highway, bigger roads and for longer miles, the Speed Triple is probably better. But for around town, curvy roads and trackdays, this new Street Triple RS is going to be better, imo. I'm fairly certain my lap times are going to go down on this bike once I get the suspension dialed in like I had on the Speed Triple. I'm happy with the swap.

·
Registered
727 Posts
There was someone on FB asking the same question and I gave them this info:

I bought a 2019 Speed Triple RS as my first Triumph. At 1050cc/148hp, I found it to be a bit of a handful around town. And on the track, it was a lot of work to keep pace with folks on more nimble bikes in the corners. The smaller the track, the worse it was. On big roads and the highway, it was fun though.

I rode a 2018 Street Triple RS and it just didn't feel like it had enough midrange to make it fun on the street to me, so I stuck with the Speed Triple. Then this new 2020 Street Triple RS comes out. I'm not sure what all they did to the bike, but it feels noticeably more powerful than the previous Street Triples, especially in the midrange where I found the older ones to be lacking.

It's not quite Speed Triple torque, but it feels pretty close and similarly fast on top, but it is WAY more nimble than the Speed Triple was. I'd find myself fighting the Speed Triple to get into a corner sometimes, but it is nothing like that on this new Street Triple. It's almost a "think it and it goes there" kinda deal compared to the Speed Triple.

Anyway, I got rid of the 2019 Speed Triple RS and got the 2020 Street Triple RS. On the highway, bigger roads and for longer miles, the Speed Triple is probably better. But for around town, curvy roads and trackdays, this new Street Triple RS is going to be better, imo. I'm fairly certain my lap times are going to go down on this bike once I get the suspension dialed in like I had on the Speed Triple. I'm happy with the swap.
cool, that's the kind of real world feedback I am looking for. My buddy has a Speed RS and it;s a blast, but you feel the weight, and it's about 30hp down on the Tuono, at the wheel. Same dyno his Speedy put down 136hp at the tire and the Tuono laid down 166hp and a bit more torque.

So in that regard, I am "downgrading" with regards to sheer power... I know that on paper the Speed is faster than the Street and that torque difference is substantial, but sometimes the lighter, revvier and screaming bike is a bit more engaging. I think on open toads or the back straight of Road Atlanta, the Speed would do a bit better, but up on a twisty mountain road, the differences would be minimal...

I go up to the Mtns on my little Street Cup, that has exhaust, a cam, a tune, suspension upgrades, etc... and its fun to ride the crap out of it... Of course my sportbike friends rip me on the straights, but I can hang with them, and outrun some of them in the twisties on it...

I really like that 765 motor...

·
Registered
727 Posts
Got mine today! Silver, love it. SOunds great for stock exhaust... Came home and started working on suspension setup... Got the damping pretty close, but had to put in all the front preload just to get it close to 40mm of sag... It's in the ballpark, will need to get it to my guy next weekend to really dial it in. Hopefully we can get it where it needs to be without swapping springs. The rear, had plenty of adjustment to get it to about 30mm.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Congrats @SquireSCA ! You'll have to let us know what you think of it. Especially coming from a Tuono.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Congrats @SquireSCA ! You'll have to let us know what you think of it. Especially coming from a Tuono.
Well, right away, I notice the 45hp less at the wheel. That's obvious... lol Lot less torque as well.

That said, my ride home was short. My wife has the 2018 RS so I am roughly familiar with it... This one is peppier than hers... flicking the throttle in first at only 6k rpm, lifted the front. Hers you have to rev it up more to do that...

The dash has new graphics, but to be honest I am not sure they are better than the 2018 model. Need to play with it some more.

Quickshifter is better, it looks better.

I will hopefully get to ride it more tomorrow... I do a harder and shorter breakin... Ride is easy to moderate for 100 miles, change oil and filter, and then let her rip...

Exhaust sounds great for OEM, but obviously it can't hold a candle to the Tuono V4 that had aftermarket and a race ECU.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Got mine today! Silver, love it. SOunds great for stock exhaust... Came home and started working on suspension setup... Got the damping pretty close, but had to put in all the front preload just to get it close to 40mm of sag... It's in the ballpark, will need to get it to my guy next weekend to really dial it in. Hopefully we can get it where it needs to be without swapping springs. The rear, had plenty of adjustment to get it to about 30mm.
The big question for some (well me at least), what made you pick silver over black?
Glad you’re liking it so far.

·
Registered
727 Posts
The silver looks amazing in person. Matte black is ok, but it can be harder to polish, shows scratches easier, etc...

And, silver is the only one they had in stock... haha

41 - 50 of 50 Posts