Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..came across some info in an Oz mag called Old Bike( Issue No. 2) about the use of Acetone as a fuel additive....

..see web sites www.lubedev.com/smartgas/additive.htm.
( author very verbal about the petrol cartels etc, but has the info imbedded in there..
..and http://addacetone.com/.

...according to these dudes the acetone burns slower than petrol so you get a longer burn which means a cleaner burn of the petrol and a slight increase in HP....

...anyone tried this gear and with what results...?

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Haven't tried it, but it seems to be an ingredient in some octane boosters. I HAVE tried Napthalene moth balls. Got a good result in the 68, but didn't notice anything in the Thruxton. Interesting exhaust smell.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
From a post by Jimi-x on this forum... I have posted this cocktail twice over the last 2 years and have had no response. It is my own. It has been tested extensively by myself and other drag racers. Nobody on this forum has said yes, no, good, bad, maybe, or no chance in hell would they use it. The best way to describe it is "gasoline". My buddies, especially those who ride HD's call it Tony's Rocket Fuel.....
Here it is.

120 oz. U.S. Gal.

60 oz. Toluene
40 oz. Xylene
16 oz. Mineral Spirits
4 oz. Automatic Tranny Fluid

I mix in 1L or 1 Qt. per tank full of 92 octane premium. It can be mixed from 10% to 30% of total tank content.

To break it down, it goes something like this:

Both Toluene and Xylene are heavier per volume than gasoline. (Xylene being the heavier of the two). They contain more energy and evaporate faster that conventional fuel. The Mineral Spirits insure a clean combustion chamber and the auto tranny fluid is for top end lubrication.

You will notice a positive change in performance. How strong you mix it is up to yourself. A stock engine or relatively stock engine can only appreciate so much of an octane / power boost and the rest is wasted. In my experience 10% to 15% seems to give you the best bang for the buck.

This is the last time I will post it. If you think I'm crazy, say so. If you think it will do no good or possibly damage your engine, state your claim. I'm riding the proof to the contrary.
Tony

Intresting stuff...

·
Registered
303 Posts
There was a Mythbusters episode a little While ago and they put all fuel additives to the test.
Conclusion, acetone does NOT improve fuel economy in any way. Hope this helps,Rod :hammer:

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Acetone is a paint thinner, but it isn't very effecient at stripping paint. That would be Methylene Chloride.
And yer right about the Para Moth Balls, which is why I specified that I used Napthalene MBs.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...Hmmm....all interesting stuff....I'm more interested in the Acetone to reduce carbon build up..

...I'll fess up that I have run three tanks now with the recommended .781ml/cc of Acetone per 1 litre..plugs and top of piston clean as a whistle.....

.....yeah I wont be spilling any on the tank if I can help it...

·
Registered
258 Posts
My brother ran some kind of a toluene/alcohol/ gasoline mix in a modified 14:1 compression Yamaha bonneville bike back in the early 80's with good result, so I believe there may be some merit to these claims. :-D

·
Registered
505 Posts
I don't know about Xylene, but toluene has an octane number of 400, so a relatively small amount will increase the octane rating of your gasoline, so in a very high compression engine it could stop pinging. I used to put about a pint to 3 gallons of gas in my 1938 Rudge Ulster which had a 12:1 dope piston in it.
If your engine is built to run on regular gas you WILL NOT get any additional benefit from octane boosting.Had a friend with a 1946 side valve 500BSA that had access to aviation fuel, swore the bike went like a rocket on it, but it was pure BS. Did 65 flat out with that or Pool (80 octane) petrol back in the 50s.
Acetone has a low BP (52C) but being oxygenated will probably reduce emissions. I ran my Enfield once on pure acetone just by filling the float chamber with it, and it started and ran fine, but this was just for a couple of minutes.(I used to work at a refinery in the UK in my youthful years).It will likely dissolve out any varnish build up in the carbs, but in pure form will attack your paint.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Stu - Isn't acetone the primary ingredient in nail polish remover? Ii bet it would remove some paint!

Bob

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
It isn't as effective in attacking fully cured modern paints. Old nitrocellulose paint, or partially cured paint, yes, indeed.
Right, higher octane rated fuel allows you to run higher compression engines, and it's the increased compression that provides the boost. But, high octane fuel in a low compression engine is a waste of money. Like putting road race tires on a Ural.....does not a racer make.
You don't want the piston crowns to be absolutely carbon free.......a thin layer of carbon insulates the piston from direct contact with the combustion products and the erosion from chemical and heat attack, and keeps the piston a bit cooler. Better yet would be a ceramic coating. I have, for years now, cleaned and painted the piston crowns with a couple of coats of silver spary paint before assembling. Also, I spray Barbeque Black paint in cleaned new pipes to reduce bluing. So far, so good.

[ This message was edited by: Mecchanica on 2006-12-04 14:53 ]

·
Registered
505 Posts
Yes, acetone is a main ingredient in nail polish remover. Also in lacquer thinner. It won't lift paint like paint stripper, but most types of paint will be affected by it except epoxies and some other two packs. One advantage is its miscible with weater so if you get water in your fuel system, adding acetone will solvate it, like methanol does.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Only thing I am going to use acetone for is to remove Super Glue. I guess if I ever drop any Super Glue into my tank I will add some acetone to remove it.

·
Registered
636 Posts
SCCTrim,
Are you going to, or have you already tried my cocktail?
Along with the octane boost, which provides HD riders with modified engines ping relief, the Toluene and Xylene both provide more energy per measured volume compared to gasoline. Since your jetting doesn't change, this means more power per fire stroke.
It can be mixed up to 30% of tank content, but for a Bonnie, unless it is heavily modified, I would suggest 1L or 1Qt (Approx. 1 to 16 ratio)per tankfull.
I have used it in almost every tankfull with no adverse effects for 6 years, except for the stupid grin on my face.
Jimi X

·
Registered
505 Posts
How much are you paying for toluene and xylene??

·
Registered
258 Posts
Found the formula my bro used to raise octane using toluene: (Gal. of gas x 91) + (Gal. of Toluene x 114) divided by total gallons. Using this formula, a 50/50 mix will yield 102.5 octane. I pay $6.85 a gallon for 101 race gas. Toluene is ~ $6 a gal.; 91 octane gas is about $2.40 a gal., so the mix would be about $4.20 a gallon. Good deal! And I'll know that it's mixed exactly right! :-D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
...some data..

..been getting 250km out of a tank before I hit reserve up until now..

..just came back from a 850 km trip and got around 270km on the three tanks which included the doseage of Acetone ...

....the article I referred to states that the Acetone in itself does not give better mileage but increases power...so if you work the motor in a similar manner after adding the Acetone to how you rode previously you will use less throttle, because of the increased power and so less fuel...

..a matter of a delicate touch...

.....now all that seems crystal clear to me...I think

( ...oh yeah...it's " Allen" key)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts