Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i left my 955i on the park position one day and had to charge the battery to crank it. on the way home all the electronics quit and the bike shut off. it wouldn't hold a charge so i bought a new battery, installed it and now it still won't start. when i hit the start button all the lights dim and nothing happens. all the fuses are good and the battery is fully charged. any suggestions?

·
Registered
328 Posts
did you clean your connections?????
sounds like maybe a switch problem...
Id go through and check all the connections again.

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
Hollis, I'm thinking switch problem also, primarily the ignition switch. Cycle it a dozen times or so from P to ON. Most of the time in America P is just a 'whatzdatdo-ain'tdatcute' position and going to it may've loosened some debris. A quick check to insure voltage to the starter is the low oil pressure indicator. It should come on pre start-up (give it a couple of seconds tho').

Brad

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've been having issues with my '02 battery and charging system after the same mistake. I had the battery regulator replaced and that seemed to fix the problem.
Then after sitting in the garage for the winter, more charging problems developed. Sometimes the bike would charge the battery and other times it wouldn't. I'll be picking it up from the shop today after they have checked the system (about two weeks) and found a bad cell in the battery. Its been very frustrating for me and the shop. :hammer:
Good luck

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I in MHO think you still have a batt problem, I know its new but to dim off the lights when you press the starter, seems like its the Battery, what about the horn does it sound off good and loud or is it muffled, try charging your new batt overnight of jump start it and see if it works with that, if you jump it from a running vehicle and you still get the lights dimming its a short. If it starts then its the battery.

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
"why would the battery drop down to 6-8 volts everytime i turn the key on?" --Hollis

The headlamps are a drain, as the fuel pump and ECU are. My DVOM is on the fritz so I can't tell you exactly what a good system's loss is. I don't think it should be quite so low however, perhaps a negative spike to 6-7 VDC, but I'd expect it to return close to non loaded value if the battery's fully charged. Normally the headlights will dim only when the starter button is thumbed.

What is the non loaded battery's reading? Even if near 12 VDC, it may need a charge to clean the plates. It is connected with the + terminal on the right side and connected to the red cable, right?

Brad

PS Oh yeah, the kill switch is on, I hope...have a zero speed display?

[ This message was edited by: bradtx on 2007-03-09 17:55 ]

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the battery reads 12.5 volts unloaded and the speedometer read 133 mph the last time i turned it on. it's getting a little frustrating, but i'll keep trying. the only way i'm going to the dealer is kicking and screaming.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Have you had anyone look at the onboard computer? I left my bike standing for 3 months over winter and managed to get it to start once but when I came to refuel I couldn't start it. I managed to jump start with an external battery but then the electronics all went bananas. I took it to the dealer and they explained that after the bike looses it's charge for a significant period of time the computer can lock up (that's what happened in my case). So the dealer connected to the onboard and reset it. After that, it was fine.

The symptons you describe sound different to those I had but it's possible this is related to a computer lock.

Just a thought.

·
Super Moderator
22,194 Posts
Battery being new sounds lik you should eliminate that - but it certainly sounds like the cause of the problem
Or else there is a short somewhere as previously suggested - although that should blow a fuse somewhere.
Pull the headlight fuses then try - it really sounds like the battery
If the volts don't drop quite so low with no headlights, the battery s where I'd put my betting money.
If it does start, put your fuses back in & take it for a ride to see if it charges up.
If it doesn't take it back to the store & have them load-test it.

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
Hollis, Under the front seat are some relays. Four are on the right side, numbered 1-4 (f-r) on the outside of the subframe. One is behind the fuse box, slightly offset to the right. Unplug the #2 (Dip sw.) and swap it with the one behind the fuse block (Ign.). No diff? re-install the ignition relay and replace #4 (main power) with the #2 relay.

Tho' it rarely happens, one thing a battery can do when almost compleatly discharged is to reverse polarity which can cause untold havoc.

Let us know.

Brad

PS I forgot to ask if you've tried to jump start the bike.

[ This message was edited by: bradtx on 2007-03-12 12:28 ]

·
Registered
96 Posts
Mine did the same thing 2 yrs ago. Dealer replaced whole wiring harness under warranty.

·
Registered
233 Posts
On 2007-03-15 09:11, squidrat wrote:
Mine did the same thing 2 yrs ago. Dealer replaced whole wiring harness under warranty.
My bike is doing the same thing right now. I'm wondering if this is the fix for me. I still have the bike under warranty for another month!

·
Registered
17 Posts
i have just had exactly the same problem same symptoms and everything, left my bike on park jumped it and went for a blast then lost power wouldnt rev above 4000 then took it home charged the battery tried it again was good for about half a hour, thought it was the battery so changed that same thing took it to my local garage they tested the altenator and that was gone wasnt kicking out any charge at all, so i had to have that replaced, now i have had it done everything runs perfect
very frustrating tho
when you charge your battery will your nike run at all for any time or wont it crank at all ?

[ This message was edited by: godmitch on 2007-04-22 16:39 ]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts