Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran across this cool part over at CB750cafe.com - Carpy, the bike builder there likes to use these cool oil pressure gauges on all his CB cafe conversions:

http://www.cb750cafe.com/parts.php?id=42

I've got some questions for all you learned sirs/madams:

1. This goes in place of the "oil galley plug" as per the mounting instructions (copied at the bottom of this post) - on our triple motors, is that the fill plug on the side of the engine or something else? DO we even HAVE a galley plug that will work in this application do you think? Google searches aren't being much help, I'm afraid...

2. Assuming it were to be fitted, would this (in your opinion) affect the engine in any way? Pressure changes? Oil capacity?

3. Again, assuming it were to be fitted, what would the pressure typically read? I know there's an oil pressure sensor somewhere on the engine, but all I've got of course is the low pressure warning idiot light.

Thanks as always!! :D

PS - here are the abbreviated mounting directions from Carpy's site:

---------

You do need some mechanical abilty to fit these, basically you remove the oil galley plug from the right hand side of your motor, up above and to the left of your points cover.

Center punch it and then drill with a 21/63 drill bit, any shop like ace hardware etc will sell this.

Then use a 1/8th Tap (NPT) and tap the plug, simply apply teflon tape on the threads of the adaptor and then screw it in,.

I would screw the galley plug into the motor first, then the brass adaptor with teflon on the threads, then a little piece of teflon on the guage and screw that on, there, you are done, this is a 20 minute job or less and looks so cool but os so functional and an important part for the CB750.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I don't doubt there will be folk who will be able to give the lowdown on this in detail.

For myself though, I just think it is something more to work loose / fall off or when it is functioning normally, just generally worry about. :D

Nige. :cool:

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
My personal opinion is that all engines should have an oil pressure gauge, they can save huge expenses when engine parts wear poorly or fail, as long as you monitor them regularly. Nige is right though, if not properly installed and maintained, they become one more link in the chain that can break down and cause problems... but I still think the benefits outweigh the risks.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Oil Pressure Gauge

I ran across this cool part over at CB750cafe.com - Carpy, the bike builder there likes to use these cool oil pressure gauges on all his CB cafe conversions:

http://www.cb750cafe.com/parts.php?id=42

I've got some questions for all you learned sirs/madams:

1. This goes in place of the "oil galley plug" as per the mounting instructions (copied at the bottom of this post) - on our triple motors, is that the fill plug on the side of the engine or something else? DO we even HAVE a galley plug that will work in this application do you think? Google searches aren't being much help, I'm afraid...

2. Assuming it were to be fitted, would this (in your opinion) affect the engine in any way? Pressure changes? Oil capacity?

3. Again, assuming it were to be fitted, what would the pressure typically read? I know there's an oil pressure sensor somewhere on the engine, but all I've got of course is the low pressure warning idiot light.

Thanks as always!! :D

PS - here are the abbreviated mounting directions from Carpy's site:

---------

You do need some mechanical abilty to fit these, basically you remove the oil galley plug from the right hand side of your motor, up above and to the left of your points cover.

Center punch it and then drill with a 21/63 drill bit, any shop like ace hardware etc will sell this.

Then use a 1/8th Tap (NPT) and tap the plug, simply apply teflon tape on the threads of the adaptor and then screw it in,.

I would screw the galley plug into the motor first, then the brass adaptor with teflon on the threads, then a little piece of teflon on the guage and screw that on, there, you are done, this is a 20 minute job or less and looks so cool but os so functional and an important part for the CB750.
Remove the existing sender unit, measure the thread size, have a (hollow) adapter built up that will thread into the existing hole. Tap the adapter at the top end to take the sender unit (this still allows the light to work) tee off the adapter a male thread to suit the nut on the end of the tube going too the oil pressure gauge

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ran across this oil pressure gauge over on the British Customs site:

http://www.british-customs.com/british-customs-oil-pressure-gauge.html

This unit effectively "splices" into the "oil bolt" on the Thruxton, Bonneville and America using a double banjo bolt. I don't know, however, if such a port exists on the Thunderbird Sport triple engine - does anyone know if it does?

There's an installation video at the linked URL that clearly shows the mounting bolt for the Bonneville/Thruxton/America, but I'm not sure if the TBS's sending unit can be used as the mounting point for this double banjo unit, or if it can, if it will fit. I emailed the British Customs guys, and was surprised when they simply replied:

"Never tried it... not sure."

Hmmm....

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
I saw one fitted to a Thunderbird. As mentioned it attached where the external line feeds the head. IRC the owner said that it stopped working due to vibes. I don't have any more info than that.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I saw one fitted to a Thunderbird. As mentioned it attached where the external line feeds the head. IRC the owner said that it stopped working due to vibes. I don't have any more info than that.
Is that the banjo that clamps the "Oil Pipe Assembly, Cam Feed" on what looks like the RH side of the engine? I'm looking at the cylinder and head fiche here:

http://www.bikebandit.com/1998-triumph-thunderbird-sport/o/m17585#sch564653

Looks possible, but I agree that the oil line may be too long - their placement is at the base of the cylinders almost exactly mid-line, and IIRC, on the TBS, that fitting is more on the starboard side...

Still, it seems possible. I wonder if the banjo is the same size though? Gives me a place to start, anyway - thanks!

EDIT: Yeah... it looks like the best possible mounting location is on the oil line banjo bolt itself, which would place the gauge directly against the engine. This is where the Honda cafe guys mount gauges (right against the gearbox) and their gauges work there, so I wrote British Customs to see if installation WITHOUT the oil line is possible. If so, it looks like I might be able to modify the mounting bracket to accommodate the diameter of the supplied double-banjo, assuming such a connection is possible, of course. AND assuming the vibrations won't pulverize the gauge, as Stunta said.

Lotsa assumptions there, my friends, and you know what they say about the word "assume"... :)

I'll let you know what he says... :)

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Occasionally I see the mech who made one of the first heavily modded Thunderbirds in the US, Super3 engine, Daytona front end, curved race radiator, bobbed fenders, plate mount off the swing arm, gunfighter seat before corbin made one, 3-1 akro pipe, etc. and I'll ask if he recalls.

I remember that bike was on display at the dealer when I bought my Legend. I looked at it, looked and the price of 14g and thought, "That bike isn't very practical"... lol.

IRC it was up at the head between #9 and #13 if we are looking at the same fiche but I don't remember which kind of banjo was used.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Occasionally I see the mech who made one of the first heavily modded Thunderbirds in the US, Super3 engine, Daytona front end, curved race radiator, bobbed fenders, plate mount off the swing arm, gunfighter seat before corbin made one, 3-1 akro pipe, etc. and I'll ask if he recalls.

I remember that bike was on display at the dealer when I bought my Legend. I looked at it, looked and the price of 14g and thought, "That bike isn't very practical"... lol.

IRC it was up at the head between #9 and #13 if we are looking at the same fiche but I don't remember which kind of banjo was used.
That bike sounds INCREDIBLE... :)

Re: Fiche - Yeah, OK, the banjo you describe is the UPPER banjo bolt, which is the smaller of the two. I asked British Customs about mounting here, but I'm not sure if it's possible - the kit they sell uses a longer "double-banjo" which replaces the OEM banjo, and a curved adapter piece crimped to the supplied oil line branches off that bolt. To work, I'd need to somehow screw the gauge DIRECTLY to that curved adapter which would mean somehow removing the oil line piece. OR, finding a banjo-type adapter on my own that would allow the gauge to be direct-mounted to that location.

That's assuming that the gauge:

1. Will not be pulverized by vibration and/or heat (possible, since it IS a fluid-filled anti-vibratin style gauge) and

2. Is physically strong enough to be screwed to the bolt like this AND

3. Won't be in a place where I'll kick it, bend it, or otherwise damage it while riding or mounting/dismounting.

The more I look, the more I'm liking a remote location like the mounting hole for the stock horn cover (which I hate and want to replace with a relocated smaller horn), but this would also mean issues, specifically that I'd need a LONGER oil hose and most likely a different-shaped angle adapter to direct that hose inboard and across the engine.

It's still possible though... :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts