Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am in need of changing out the sprockets and chain. Sprocket looks pretty simple so this post has everything to do with changing out the chain. I am hoping/would like to do it myself. Has anyone ever changed a chain before on their bike? If so do I need a chain breaker/riveter to do so? Any tips or suggestions on what breaker/riveters are good out there to use? Any good suggestions on doing the task at hand. Thanks ahead of time.

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
JMHbb26, We've used a dremel tool to cut the rivits on the old chain and a Denso chain tool to rivit the new.

Brad

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
+1, on what Brad said...

Remember, the term "chain breaker" really gets people into trouble. You'll need to grind down the riveted pin on one of the links with a dremel tool or die grinder prior to using the "chain breaker". If not, you'll break the tool...

·
Premium Member
3,018 Posts
X2 on what everyone else has said. Another thing i'd like to add, which you may know. My T595 required a 36mm socket to remove the front sprocket nut. Thats a little larger than the standard issue. I had to order one to do the job.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all of your input. I have on last question involving the chain. I spoke to someone the other day and had mentioned that I make sure I put the chain on in the right direction. Does it matter which way the chain goes on or was all in his head?

·
Premium Member
3,018 Posts
All in his head. He might be referring to a clip type master link which you wouldn't be installing anyway, you'll use the rivet type. The clip always gets pointed with the rounded part heading in the direction of chain travel. Or picture it as a fish, the fish always swims upstream.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Gearhd. When he was explaining it to me something didn't make sense and now I know what he was trying to explain to me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts