Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm kinda in limbo with my '06 Scrambler. I'm either going to put a gigantic windscreen on it for comfy ride, or I'm going to make a run at Thruxton-style looks, or I'm just going to sell it.
But I was wondering if anyone out there has ever given their Scrambler a cafe-racer treatment with clip-ons, rearsets and the solo seat and cap. Here's a pic of the bike just to keep the post interesting. :)

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
It would probably be quite a hassle to cafe a Scrambler. Rear sets would be difficult to fit as the Scrambler peg brackets are quite different. You'd want to change the tyres, seat etc. The plus side is that you already have Thruxton style fenders and Thruxton bars are 7/8 same as the Scrambler so bars would be fairly straightforward. As for the exhaust...?

·
Premium Member
1,934 Posts
You might have to do something different with the rear brake reservoir. Because of the exhaust location, you can't put it under the side cover like a Bonnie or a Thrux.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, the good news would be that the Scrambler's exhaust would definately remain. I love the old-school looks of it.

I got a line on rearsets from another forum member here:

hi bremsstrahlung.
i have a bonnie black. i got a set of raask rearsets from busters, for £120.00. they fit straight on although they only list them up to a 2006
I went to the website briefly, but wasn't able to find any info of pics of the rearsets.

As far as bars go, these seem to be the best answer, ACR Adjustable Clubman bars... unfortunatelly, they're 1"... so, the only choice is to just fit actual Thrux 7/8 bars, and ultimately complain about the riding position like everyone else, or find a way to make these cool adjustable bars work.

And finally, as far as I know, a Thrux seat/cap unit is a direct bolt-on.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Not what you're looking for but it'd probably be easier to scrambler a cafe. High pipes on a Thruxton or something. Maybe the scrambler tank - but as they said above the rearsets would be tricky.

But the different seat and tires, and handlebars are all totally possible.

I always looked at building cafe bikes out of stock and standard bikes. It actually never occurred to me to cafe a bike that was specifically set up not to be a cafe, but I kind of want to now.

*shakes fist*

*grins*

·
Registered
1,816 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Why? With a 270 degree motor & steel wheels when you get all done you'd just have a slow revving,heavy thruxton. I'd just bolt on some zard high pipes on a thruxton, check the the pictures on the bellacorse site.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
...rearsets would be tricky.QUOTE]

Maybe I'm missing something, but won't these work for the rearsets? http://newbonneville.com/html/scrambler_rearsets.html

Well.... ta-DAAA !! There they are in the flesh. I missed them. Kinda spendy, but there they are. One component satisified.

And a pic of them in action in the very next post.:)

Why? With a 270 degree motor & steel wheels when you get all done you'd just have a slow revving,heavy thruxton. I'd just bolt on some zard high pipes on a thruxton, check the the pictures on the bellacorse site.
Yes, that's true. But what I'm after is the look and feel of an old school cafe'd bike.... maybe not one delivered as such. Like buying a custom built Harley or something -- it's cool and all, but someone else put it together for you.
Also, well.... let's be honest here, while a Thrux would rev quicker and weigh less, true --- but were really not dealing with sportbikes here. A Thruxton is a function in design and nothing more... as is a Scrambler for that matter. :)

·
Premium Member
12,708 Posts
You could of course go the opposite way and mod for more off-road riding. I don't lknow if you've done any, or what's available where you live.

I've scramblerized my bonnie (mainly tires and suspension mods) and go on the many available gravel and forestry roads round here. It's a hoot, and gives a different riding experience.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
As far as bars go, these seem to be the best answer, ACR Adjustable Clubman bars... unfortunatelly, they're 1"... so, the only choice is to just fit actual Thrux 7/8 bars, and ultimately complain about the riding position like everyone else, or find a way to make these cool adjustable bars work.

Those appear to be laverda jota bars, only in 1" diameter. Get the real jota bars (7/8") & you're golden...

--Rich

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You could of course go the opposite way and mod for more off-road riding. I don't lknow if you've done any, or what's available where you live.

I've scramblerized my bonnie (mainly tires and suspension mods) and go on the many available gravel and forestry roads round here. It's a hoot, and gives a different riding experience.
naahh... learned that lesson trying to off-road a 650 V-Strom.:D Got a Kawi 250 for that.

Those appear to be laverda jota bars, only in 1" diameter. Get the real jota bars (7/8") & you're golden...

--Rich

ya know... you guys are all right.:thumbsup: I float an idea out there and within days all the answers are provided.
Rearsets, now bars, the seat/cap should be straight forward enough, and all done within reasonable cost.

So far... and the coolest part of this whole project.... seems to be the complete swap-ability involved here. A few hours and a few wrenches and I've got two different bikes to fit the mood.

A larger and chromed headlight housing should complete the look, I think. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,934 Posts
A larger and chromed headlight housing should complete the look, I think. Any ideas?
Like this?

I painted it black, but you can get a new 7" EMGO chrome bucket for about $70. The rest of the headlight was about $80 from Daniel Stern. Way, way better than the OEM Scrambler light.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Speed triple bars will work for ya to. It's an easy swap, and you keep the stock cables and junk. While your at it ditch the stock grips and fit'er with a pair of grey Renthals, medium compound i think. The Rentahls are much thinner than the stockers so you can finger the bars instead of pawing at them. As for the pegs, i fit a pair of the Outlaw Racing pegs from www.pitposse.com, part number Y4R (00-06 Yamaha YZF-R1). The trick thing about these is the flat toped peg can be adjusted to whatever position suits you; but, there not a direct fit. To make'em work youll need to bore out the hole for the retainer pin and shim the bottom to get them to sit level, or slightly over level as i did. Granted it's a little work, but makes a huge difference in the way the bike handles.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
May the little headlight on the scrambler will work with these 7/8" clubman bars (4.8" center):

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/68/4917/ITEM/Bikemaster-Clubman-Handlebar.aspx

They definately have the right look and price, but if I'm going to go with new cafe bars, the full adjustability of the jota bars seems worth the extra cost.
BTW, what do you mean by the "maybe the little headlight will work with these..."? what's the relationship between headlight size and handlebar?

Like this?

I painted it black, but you can get a new 7" EMGO chrome bucket for about $70. The rest of the headlight was about $80 from Daniel Stern. Way, way better than the OEM Scrambler light.
How it that size compared to the stocker on the Thrux? Actually, I've been wondering about swapping to a larger light on the Scrambler. There's two stamped steel brackets on each side of the headlight that seem to be welded or pressed onto the fork tubes. How did you get around these to fit the larger diameter headlight.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts