Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm going to give it a go . while not true cad , it looks like a great option and once setup you can do small batches as you go .

$150 includes everything except a power supply , but comes with instructions on using a battery charger if you don't want to invest in a dedicated one .

http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/zinc.htm

·
Registered
77 Posts
i'm going to give it a go . while not true cad , it looks like a great option and once setup you can do small batches as you go .

$150 includes everything except a power supply , but comes with instructions on using a battery charger if you don't want to invest in a dedicated one .

http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/zinc.htm
i havent done the cad plating,but i have used caswells chrome plating kit,it came with a excellent manual to show you how to plate and what options or things you could put together for you power sources,mine looked like a crack lab when it was all set up,good luck

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
Woody,

I'm anxious to see how the Caswell system works. I see you are in Mahblelhead so within driving distance to Caswell. I'm in the Albany area and have been threatening to stop by their place to learn more. I've spoken to them on the phone and they are very open and helpful. Some of the AMCA members have talked about doing some plating as well on the AMCA forum. Since the HD guys are very particular regarding authenticity (not that Triumph guys are not) the zinc plate is not considered kosher. Cadmium is nasty stuff so it's nice to see Caswell has figured out a way to make zinc look like cad. I'm curious if it stays looking like cad. Most of us are probably remember those shiny galvanized trash cans getting a dull gray after a few months in the air.
I see you are a fellow shooter. I'm no Triumph expert, but know that a 1911A1 is not a vintage bike.

For those thinking about doing their own chrome plating, I believe the plating they offer is trivalent chrome, which has a yellow tint and looks a lot like nickle plate. I'm pretty sure that the chrome on our old bikes is hexavalent chrome, which is the dangerous (Love Canal) stuff. Hex is much better and more durable than tri. Hex is what is known as "hard chrome" and has that blue tint.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts