Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m having a hell of a time reading the coolant gauge on my Speed Twin. Far as I can tell, it looks empty.

I decided to check after the engine was putting off a lot of heat on my past few rides. They were 90+ degree days, but I was still curious.

For anyone who takes a look, should you be able to clearly see liquid inside that tiny little plastic gauge? All I see is white plastic. I’ve shined a flashlight on it and still just see white plastic.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I haven’t changed it but have topped it up twice in 6-7k km. You should be able to see the coolant once cover is removed. Sometimes shaking bike a little will help depending on your coolant color , between the 2 lines I think and your done.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Yes, I do see fluid in my coolant reservoir. However, the sprocket cover needs to be removed to view the lower portion of it reservoir.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool, yea, just need to take that cover off because I certainly can’t tell from that little spot sticking out, unless it’s actually empty. Then what I’m seeing would make sense.

Time to bust out the tools.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Same here, struggle to see my level on the Thruxton even though I cleaned the expansion tank when I changed the coolant, it's no trouble to whip the cover off to check it when required althoughI haven't needed to top mine up in 12 months so it's not that often.

Reactions: Hybrid81

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I saw there was a coolant leak recall so I ran my vin and found out that I don’t have that one, but I do have the gearshift linkage one.

Pretty sure I already know the answer here, but if I flash my ECU back to stock they’ll still be able to tell it’s been flashed, right? I know they’ll do the recall work regardless but I’m wonderinf if they’ll run diagnostics after this kind of repair. I would assume they would.

I have to run diags every time I fix a computer and they move at a whopping 0 miles per hour, let alone 130.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've recently picked up a Speed Twin, I find it runs a little hot. I've read some other people find the same thing so maybe it's normal. I had a look for the coolant tank to check the level and can't find it anywhere. Where can I find it?

·
Registered
663 Posts
I've recently picked up a Speed Twin, I find it runs a little hot. I've read some other people find the same thing so maybe it's normal. I had a look for the coolant tank to check the level and can't find it anywhere. Where can I find it?
Remove the black cover above right foot peg the coolant bottle is behind this. Takes one minute.

·
Registered
361 Posts
They do feel a bit hot around the heads, especially on the right right side (which is actually a bit closer to your leg as the engine isn't quite symmetrical in the frame) - this is normal.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Stock mine was at the bottom of the tank. I just added a little water.

Mine runs hot too especially around the head. Had a brain fart and may try to lower the pegs a little.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mine is definitely running hot on hot days, but that’s to be expected. Topping off the coolant took about 10 minutes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Having had my Speed Twin for only a couple days I've haven't even bothered checking the coolant. However I've always avoided Prestone and the like coolants and the like, always used the Honda long life coolant for cars, countless bikes with that coolant; it's cheap, readily available wherever there is a Honda dealership, designed for aluminum engines and silicate free to avoid damaging the seal on the waterpump. I always do a flush before adding that Honda coolant, and as it seems that coolant color is meaningless and mixing incompatible ones can result in gelling, I rather be safe than sorry.

For a quick top off, only distilled water, you don't want any minerals to get in there.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you flashlight from the front of the overflow tank ie shine towards the rear wheel, it’s quite clear. BTW did a coolant change over the weekend in prep for the Aussie summer post lockdown. Took a number of flushes before the old coolant residue to clear. Wasn’t hard, but pulling the pipe on and off was fiddly.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you flashlight from the front of the overflow tank ie shine towards the rear wheel, it’s quite clear. BTW did a coolant change over the weekend in prep for the Aussie summer post lockdown. Took a number of flushes before the old coolant residue to clear. Wasn’t hard, but pulling the pipe on and off was fiddly.
Its clear if you’ve looked at it before and know what it would look like if coolant was filled up to that point. I hadn’t, and the plastic is not perfectly clear.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
On my T120, I pop the cap on the coolant reservoir and put the lens of a Mini Maglight LED flashlight right up against the opening. This lights up both the coolant and the dead space from the inside and makes the level very easy to read.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts