Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've taken lots of Moto Camping trips and I've never needed to carry an ice cooler. But I need to now. I'm thinking maybe something that is small and can tie down easily on the bike. Just enough to keep a day or two of provisions for one person from spoiling. Stuff to cook for meals at a campsite. It would only need to stay cool for 24-36 hours, I won't be going anywhere remote, so I can refill with ice daily if necessary.

There are lots of various options out there from soft sided coolers, some soft sided with hard inserts, and of course the hard sided ones we are all familiar with.

Anyone here carry a cooler on you motorbike with any success? How big? How much of a pain in the a$$ is it do do do?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance....

·
Registered
222 Posts
A small soft one would be perfect for a single person. You'd be able to carry plenty of food for a few meals, and soft coolers pack much easier into saddlebags, tail bags, tank bags, anywhere you need. My brother keeps one of the small ones (6-pack size) in his backpack and uses it often.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Those "soft" type coolers are pretty nice. You can pack them down when not in use or throw ice in them as needed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I use the soft coolers as well. You can pack them full of stuff and secure to the bike externally, then fill with ice and your favorite beverage or food when you get to camp.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I have a pretty good size soft cooler I got from a previous employer. It's been a great cooler. I can ice down 6-8 bottles of water and carry it in my saddle bag on my Sprint.
Another one I have done is to take one of those dry bags from w**-mart and put ice in it and strap it down. It does work, but not as great as the soft cooler.

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for your replies....Tripps, dang, man! That rig would definitely solve all of my refrigeration problems! And more!

I purchased a soft sided cooler from Polar Bear Coolers. It will almost fit in one of my sidecases, but not well. I'll stash it in my top case. It is a bit taller than I expected, but it does fit. It is supposed to keep stuff cold for 24 -36 hours. We'll see. I am taking a three day moto camping trip up to West Virginia this weekend. Sort of a shake-down run for a longer two-week trip later this summer.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
^^^
That is exactly the cooler that Raskas Dairy gave us so many years ago. Now I know where to get another one.

Thanks for posting this up!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've used my top box before, works great! Get to camp, set up, empty top box, go to gas station, get a bag of ice and some beer and head back. Works like a charm!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've taken lots of Moto Camping trips and I've never needed to carry an ice cooler. But I need to now. I'm thinking maybe something that is small and can tie down easily on the bike. Just enough to keep a day or two of provisions for one person from spoiling. Stuff to cook for meals at a campsite. It would only need to stay cool for 24-36 hours, I won't be going anywhere remote, so I can refill with ice daily if necessary.

There are lots of various options out there from soft sided coolers, some soft sided with hard inserts, and of course the hard sided ones we are all familiar with.

Anyone here carry a cooler on you motorbike with any success? How big? How much of a pain in the a$$ is it do do do?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance....
When I rode a cruiser, did it heaps!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I carry a small 6 can igloo hard side cooler. I freeze water bottles and meat and use them to keep the eggs and milk cold during the first day. Then I top off with ice at my gas stops.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just freeze any food the night before, it's usually defrosted by the time I get to the camp site and need to start cooking. I don't have room in my set up for a cooler.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have done a fair amount of horse and motorcycle camping. I have used collapsible soft side to full hard side coolers. For motorcycle camping, I now use the Igloo marine soft side (non-collapsible) cooler. It is about 18x9 with one bigger pocket and two side pockets. I put it on top of my trunk, and away we go. It really is the best I have ever used for this type of camping.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts