Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in a bicycle accident 4 weeks ago. The result was a broken hip and broken elbow (radial head fracture), both on my left side. I had emergency surgery and the surgeon put 3 screws in my hip. I just got the go ahead from my doc to go from 50% weight bearing to 100% on the leg. I am slowly weaning off the walker and using a cane now.

My question for anyone who has broken a hip...I don't want to rush it, but how long did it take you to feel comfortable to get back on your motorcycle? My T120 is looking at me in the garage with sad eyes.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Very sorry to hear your tales of woe.
But remember that although you are a few years younger than me, at our age things take longer to heal.
Let the T120 give you the sad eye for some time yet.

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
I suggest Charlie Boorman's book Long Way Back he broke his hip riding a motorscooter while still recovering from 2 broken legs he got riding a motor cycle! He is of course back riding but I don't remember how long the recovery took.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I suggest Charlie Boorman's book Long Way Back he broke his hip riding a motorscooter while still recovering from 2 broken legs he got riding a motor cycle! He is of course back riding but I don't remember how long the recovery took.
Thanks. I'll have to look into that.
I bought a Vespa right before this happened. I'm sure I will be able to ride it first since I can just put my leg through it and not over the seat to get on. Plus, it's a bit lighter. I'm in no hurry though.

·
Premium Member
7,322 Posts
8 years ago at the age of 64 I had an incident on one of my motorcycles that resulted in my having a broken arm and pelvis which would be somewhat similar to a broken hip. I used a walker for about 2-3 weeks and then graduated to crutches which was a treat having a broken arm. I got the clearance to ride a motorcycle from my orthopedic doctor at around 8 weeks once my arm and pelvis had healed... with the caveat to not go crazy once I get back on a motorcycle.

Needless to say I didn't listen and paid the price of over doing it on my first ride. Your body will most definitely let you know if you have done too much.

Bob

·
Registered
43 Posts
Not a broken hip but I had a total hip replacement on the left side and at 8 weeks I felt like I could ride again, but I waited a couple weeks more before riding, so 10 weeks for me.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the responses. That is kind of what I thought, 8-10 weeks before I start thinking about it. This helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry to hear about your unfortunate injury, its not much of a comparison but my dad who is 72 broke his lower arm last December, he won't let it deter him from doing his DIY, gardening and everything else, he's still a very active guy, only problem is that when he does get the tools out he says he feels it later in the day and the aching pain is dependant of how hard he has worked.
I guess my point in all this is yes, get on your bike and just do what you feel is comfortable, im sure the more you ride the more you'll get used to it and your hip will still be healing too so hopefully it will only get better over time.
Wish you all the best in the future and hope your bike stops giving you the sad eyes!

·
Registered
619 Posts
I had hip replacement in 2012 & 2013. Drove my surgeon crazy wanting to get back on the bikes, 2001 Bonnie & at the time 2006 Sprint ST. Tell your surgeon how the hip and elbow feel. Be honest most doctors will tell you take more time to heal then needed. I was riding after 8 weeks. I was 65 & 66 when I had the surgeries. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
about ten years ago I had a hip replacement and was riding 10 weeks later

·
30,317 Posts
I was in a bicycle accident 4 weeks ago. The result was a broken hip and broken elbow (radial head fracture), both on my left side. I had emergency surgery and the surgeon put 3 screws in my hip. I just got the go ahead from my doc to go from 50% weight bearing to 100% on the leg. I am slowly weaning off the walker and using a cane now.

My question for anyone who has broken a hip...I don't want to rush it, but how long did it take you to feel comfortable to get back on your motorcycle? My T120 is looking at me in the garage with sad eyes.
It took me 3 years to actually get back on a bike, for lots of reasons. I was in a bad accident. Physically I could have returned much sooner, but didn't feel like it. This year I started riding my Bonneville much more. However, it's not as comfortable.

It seems an actual hip replacement is less severe than a hip repair - or at least that was true in my case, I'm sure results vary. I had a lot more than 3 screws - also some rather large titanium plates to hold it all together. I guess they had to move a lot of stuff to do the repair. Also my knees were messed up in the accident, so they play havoc with my riding days. Although I can stumble around without a stick, so end result not too bad.

I ended up putting a sidecar on my Bonneville, and lowering the pegs 2 inches, which has made a massive improvement to my riding and I'm now back it and enjoying it again.

Anyway, do the physical therapy, and you'll likely be back at it very quickly. Don't push it too hard, so that you don't set yourself back. Just as in long distance motorcycle riding - remember the mantra - "stop to go further".

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
I should add, besides having a hip replacement about ten years ago, many years previously, I crashed a motorcycle (on my 27th birthday) and ended up with a broken pelvis, dislocated hip as well as broken arm, all resulting in weeks in hospital and having a leg in traction. the crash probably led to the reason why I eventually needed a hip replacement about 20 years later and during this process they left all the existing screws in place that were stitching the pelvis back together as there was no point in going through the trauma in removing them.

but to cut a long story short. the best therapy for me in rebuilding strength was to go down to the beach everyday and swim.

on crutches I walked to the waters edge and started off floating, then waddling around in the water, a few days later progressed to dog paddle and after a few weeks was able to surf (well, not quite on a board, but was able to body surf and swim Aussie crawl).
there's a lot to be said about salt water, walking in beach sand and sea air to revitalize oneself.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OP here...
It's been 6 weeks now since my accident. Things are moving along. I am walking about 2 miles a day, going to PT, and climbing many flights of steps a day. I'm just using a cane now for stability on the longer walks. I'm able to get in and out of my cars with no problem and am driving again.

I was in the garage yesterday playing with my toys. I'm able to sit on the Vespa GTS with no problem and can see maybe taking that one out later this week for a short ride. I was not able to raise my leg over the T120 to sit on it. Guessing that it will be another couple of weeks. Don't want to take a chance and push it.

Again, thanks for all the shared experiences. This can be as much of a mental situation as a physical one.

·
Registered
46 Posts
High sided on the track back in January, broke my tailbone and pelvis. I was waking after a couple months but had to wait a bit more to be able to swing my leg over a bike. Then I just took short rides, slowly increasing the distance and now I'm pretty much back to my old riding ways.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Back in 2010 I FDGB on my Triumph Trophy 1200 and broke my pelvis in 3 places. It was 8 weeks before I was able to walk w/o aids (crutches in my case, after the wheelchair). Another 4 weeks and I was back on a motorcycle. I used the downtown to fix the broken parts on my Trophy. I know I was back on one of my back up bikes -- probably the Legend 900 -- before getting back on the Trophy. I spent a lot of time on an exercise bike -- set up to match my riding position on my outdoor road bike -- before riding my bicycle again. I was back on my bicycle before my motorcycle(s). It was several years -- probably 2 -- before I felt my weakside leg was near full strength. (I normally ride ~3000 mi/yr on bicycle, and 7-8,000 mi/yr (total) on my motorcycles. Take it easy, don't rush it, and you'll be back on 2 wheels soon enough. BTW, I was 60 yo when I broke my pelvis. Old folks don't heal as fast as young whippersnappers do.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts