Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have real trouble getting comfortable.
My ST1100 even modified is a bit tight.
My Honda ACE I think I want to sell and get a Speedmaster.
Any tall guys here wanting to express comfort ?
The nearest Triumph dealer is a couple hours from me.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm 6'5", 250lbs, and have an America, unfortunately I have only had it for 3 weeks and I hadn't been on a bike for 15 year before I got it so my impression is somewhat skewed. That said, I do find it a some what small fit, but then everything is a small fit at my size because everything is made for the average 5'9" guy, smaller if meant to be co-ed. I am planning on getting floor board. I have heard that is helpful for taller riders. I also tend to slouch although I don't think that would work for longer trips. (longest so far was about 1.5 hours)

Over all, haven't stopped smiling for the last three weeks, although with rain forecast for the next 5 days that may change.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Not 6'4", but 6'2". I have ridden my father's speedmaster, and after riding my Bonny SE, it's fairly comfortable. Given that, it's far from stock; the corbin seat is very nice and the forward pegs help me a lot. I have noticed that after a couple hundred miles my knees scream at me and need some flexing. Forward pegs would be lovely then.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Forward controls - not good - Maybe Adventurer for me.

History, grew up on duel sports. Feel safe on them.
Lots of suspension. Tall.
So I was bored and wanted a bling bling bike so last year bought
a Honda American Classic edition. VT1100. WhiteWalls Chrome Bling. Never had so many compliments. But it had forward Jardine controls. I hated the awkwardness. I switched to stock.I still cannot stand up when going over RR tracks or a big Michigan pot hole comes up .. I want a standard bike and Honda makes none, So I am looking at Triumphs. My last one, a Daytona shifted on the right side, sure Glad Triumph switched that, and I read no more tickling of the carbs to start.
So, now I read the speedmaster has the cruiser forward controls seating position so thats out. Now thinking Adventurer.
None for sale on Ebay.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
In Europe we got these big standards, Yamaha XJR1300, Honda CB1300, Suzuki GSX1400. Are none of these available in the states?

As for fit on a cruiser, a buddy, around 6'3 is riding a Kawa Vulcan 900, says its pretty roomy.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
At 6'3" I found the foot position on my speedy to be perfect . I had to lose the round foot pegs and raise the bars 1" and lower the seat to tailor make the bike for me.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I am just shy of 6'5" and I have to say that I would prefer for the pegs to either be further forward or further back. They really aren't out far enough to stretch or close enough to stand easily. I know that I shouldn't, but sometimes I actually sit on the pillion portion of the stock seat to stretch out. The bars are in reach, but I can't work the lower controls. Someone here from the pacific, hopefully avoiding offending either the Aussies or the Kiwis because I can't remember which he was, actually did a somewhat major mod and flipped the mounting bar for the controls moving them out past the headers. Looked good, but a welder I am not.

·
Registered
895 Posts
A cool dude called WildMike moved his pegs in front of the pipes. He cut the old one up and re-welded the footpeg holders onto the bars.
Here is the link:
www.bonnevilleamerica.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=325515&page=0&fpart=all&vc=1
I went and saw an Engineer friend of mine with the downloaded photos and he made me one up. Then I got it chromed out and it looks great. The pegs moved 150mm forward and they feel really good. I am 6’2”. He had to make a longer gear changer rod and I took it down and had a new brake line made up. I also “canted “ the pegs up a bit by fixing a thin plate under the peg in the peg holder. This makes the peg angle in relation to your foot better and is less likely to slide off.
Sorry no photos - I no longer have a digital camera as it was stolen reciently. I have an 09 America now. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
120 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
6'2"

I'm 6'2" and find the riding position to be great -- with bar risers. I'm coming from a BMW R1200GS, and I think the Speedmaster is more comfortable.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm 6'2" and find the riding position to be great -- with bar risers. I'm coming from a BMW R1200GS, and I think the Speedmaster is more comfortable.
Now Spart, that is saying something. I am leaning toward the adventurer or regular Bonniville because it looks like a rider can stand up.
Your BMW is TALL and spacious. So, when you are on the Speedmaster, coming up on a pot hole or RR tracks, do you just let your spine take the jolt because the foot pegs are out in front of you ? Thats why I am selling my Honda American Classic.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
update. Bought a 2001 Adventurer. Installed motocross handlebars and 1.5" Bar risers. Bought a bigger windshield than the Triumph one on it.
Pretty standard sitting, my legs are bend at too much of an angle but have hi-way pegs if going for a distance. Not sure I dare take it for a distance. My last Triumph back in the 1970's I was warned about the English Electronics. The Zenner Diode I think scared owners.. Now it is the name "Gill". Coils and Brains going bad.
Was getting the Triumph dialed in when it started running on two cyl. After throwing money at coils.. Today ordered
a $250 Ignitor, Black Box, ECU, CDI, Brain from Europe.
Riding my reliable 1983 Suzuki GR650 vertical Twin that cost me less money than Bikebandit's price on a new OEM Igniter for the Adventurer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts