Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this bike a month ago and it has 24k on it. It developed a knocking deep in the motor, so I took it in to have it looked at. Surprise! Its a bad rod!!! Yahoo! I was wondering if anyone would be interested in buying it (2001 Speed Triple, neon blue, vance and hines s4 titanium pipe, new diablo corsa tires) for $2000???

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, let me elaborate. I was wondering if anyone wanted to buy it, or I would ALSO like opinions as to what I should do. If i can get a cheap motor, I found a guy who would do the swap for 500 bucks. I dont know if it would be a better idea to find a motor to swap into it, or rebuild it, or sell it.

·
Registered
591 Posts
You may be able to find a motor on ebay or cycletrader.com. You also might wanna comb the classified section of this site, there's all kinds of killer stuff in there.

·
Registered
583 Posts
i wouldn't pay anyone to do a motor swap, that's easy,, now putting in a new rod is dif,,,, if you buy a new engine, you can put it in yourself, not hard, just need a friend or two. and make sure you write down how many spacers went in each engine mount.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've done two motor swaps in cars before, but this is only my second bike so im new to the scene. Thanks for your help guys, if anyone sees a motor for cheap let me know (i check this site pretty much daily) cause until then, I'm on foot. :brk:

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can anyone help in the area? or is there a good reference site on how to do the swap? I'm not too advanced in the mechanical area, the liquid cooling system and the like. I have no buddies to help since I just moved to Bakersfield from Chicago a month ago. Any help would be much appreciated... Thanks!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Can't help with advice on how to do the swap, but there's two salvage ST's on Cycletrader.com now, both bikes in El Monte. Motor might be good on one.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can you maybe post links, cause i went to cycletrader and couldn't find either of them for the life of me :???: :???: :???:

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
A knocking deep in the motor? How do they know it's a bad rod without pulling it down?

Beware dealer mechanics who try to tell you stuff is serious, when in fact it's not all that bad.

If it starts, runs and doesn't burn very much oil, and has plenty of power, then I would ride it until the problem (if it is a problem) shows it's colours.

Remember there are a lot of noises in the gearbox and valve train of these bikes, and some uninitiated Triumph owners and mechanics think its a serious problem.

Also, rebuilding the engine can be done reasonably simply, if you have the right tools.

I wouldn't write it off yet in MHO.

Mick :cool:

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll take that advice into consideration. I'm not sure what to think of it myself, I at first thought it might be a rod bearing, and then my dad thought the same thing. I then took it to the dealership and they told me it sounded like a rod. I have pretty much zero money atm because of my recent cross country move, so as of now the bike is just sitting at the dealership. The mechanic said i could ride the thing cautiously (no high revving) but what fun is that??? The sound really is concerning. Any T-rat members live around the area that might be able to give me their opinion??? I'd be willing to trailer the bike to them if they aren't too far.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ooo i forgot to mention that since the onset of this knocking sound, the exhaust has been smelling extremely rich. The knocking is the same with clutch in/or out, and it is very very loud. My old gs750 made some peculiar noises which were normal, but this is a very abnormal sound indeed. Every car i pass I can hear the knocking amplified off their doors..

[ This message was edited by: S32k1 on 2006-11-27 02:03 ]

·
Registered
86 Posts
On 2006-11-27 14:04, Speedys06Triple wrote:
knock knock knocking on heaven's doooooorrr?
Who is it? "It's the plumber, I've come to fix the sink!" :hammer:

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks a lot Palo I'm gonna give them a call tomorrow. Is the 01 the motor the same as the 99???

1 - 20 of 27 Posts