Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious aobut whether anybody has undertaken more than a day or two on a Scrambler. I've read Danger Dave's report on advrider.com, but just wondering if anybodyelse has given it a shot.

I know many, or at least several, have taken long rides on a Bonnie, but I dream of taking a Scrambler to Alaska. Am I crazy?

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have wondered about the same thing. I am turning my Scrambler into a dedicated street bike - getting a better seat, better suspension and more aggressive street tires.

I have visions of riding out West, but would wonder about a trip to Alaska. If I did I would probably go for as much engine protection as possible and some more aggressive dirt tires.

·
Registered
350 Posts
the bike is fine for touring, its a very comfortable mount. The only downside I have found is on 85+ mph highways, it is abit of a push, I am going with a 19 tooth sprocket. The wind w/out a windscreen did not bother me.
with Tankbag & Tailbag you should be fine. I averaged 400 miles per day for 4 days, no problems

·
Registered
254 Posts
As I discovered recently, the ride to Alaska isn't as difficult as it used to be. For the most part, roads are decent, facilities/lodging are plentiful and it's hard to get lost with a decent map or GPS.

If people can ride to the Arctic circle on Bonnevilles, Goldwings, Harley Sportsters and GSXR's, then the Scramber should be able to do it with no problems. My wife and I are planning a trip from Texas to Montana to Alaska to Utah to Texas next year and I'm taking a Scrambler. Plenty of comfort and reliability shouldn't be an issue.

Your biggest obstacles will be weather, road construction and slow RV's.

[ This message was edited by: DFWBiker on 2006-11-20 12:41 ]

·
Registered
547 Posts
well, I'll do about 700 ks this weekend to the Burt Munro beach racing rally in Invercargill (of 'World's fastest Indian' fame). This isn't a very long trip, but we'll see how she goes 2-up and loaded etc. I'd think the Scrambler would be perfect for Alaska, reasonably good on a variety of road types, sort of like an all-rounder... cheers, Pat

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And things were looking so good until bonnievillebilly's reply!

Sounds like the rest of you don't think this is so crazy. I just thought with the right tires and the added clearance the Scrambler would be a good mount for the gravel roads. Biggetst concern would be luggage capacity. I figure if people can survive/thrive on a Kawasaki KLR 650 or Suzuki wee-Strom 650, the Scrambler might not be such a bad choice.

[ This message was edited by: dreamer on 2006-11-20 17:50 ]

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On 2006-11-20 18:02, bonnevillebilly wrote:
Just kidding, I'm just partial to the Bonny.
Bill
I figured :razz: I really like the Bonnie as well, in fact I am a bit surprised to be considering the Scrambler...not crazy about the stock pipes. Seem about 8" long to me, but something keeps pulling me back. But that Bonnie Black is "a bit of alright" too. Mostly dreaming anyway.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I traded in my Bonnie black and KLR650 on a Scrambler and have no regrets. Next year I will be touring around the West on the Scrambler.

The Scrambler handles gravel well and also the USFS road that I live off of with no problem. I would have no problem taking it to Alaska.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On 2006-11-21 09:26, Iceseven wrote:
I traded in my Bonnie black and KLR650 on a Scrambler and have no regrets. Next year I will be touring around the West on the Scrambler.

The Scrambler handles gravel well and also the USFS road that I live off of with no problem. I would have no problem taking it to Alaska.
Great. That's the info I was hoping to hear. What luggage system are you planning to use?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts