Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of the OEM bags? Both the 99-04 and >05? I finally did my first real long distance trip in the '08 and I have confirmed my disappointment in the lack of space, and the exessive width(compared to an ST1300 my bikes WIDER! The bags should hold more with this being the case) Since I don't have a GIVI stocking dealer nearby I have to make a good guess at what will be bigger, and by how much. The previous gen bags were perfect, as far as I'm concerned. Great sized, easy to manage, and looked like a designed in part of the bike. Not just boxes hung on the side as an afterthought. Yes this still annoys me.

The big plus for the >05 bags is they were truly watertight in last weekends storm from Fayetteville, AR to home here in St Louis. That was a long damn day.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Exterior volume is huge, about 45 liters. Interior, not so much. As I recall it is somewhere between 20 and 24 liters due to the locking mechanism for the mount. A really horrible design flaw if you ask me.

Next SSA check is going for a pair of Givi E41's for the side and an E46 as a top box. They are not as sleek looking as the factory bags but not all that bad either. A much better design. The E41s hold 41 liters each and can take a large to xtra large full face helmet. The E46 will take 2, or a helmet, jacket and a pair of gloves. E41's are about $500 the pair, the E46 about 280. Mounting brackets about another 300 total.

I had a similar setup on my Blackbird and could stay on the road for weeks at a time. Moderate tool kit, 4 days of business casual attire, including a pair of shoes. 4 days worth of riding stuff, socks, tee shirts and underwear, a heated jacket liner and spare gloves. That was just the side cases, more stuff in the top case including my Nikon D80 and a couple of lenses plus a laptop and a rain suit. Add a small tank bag with a can of plexus, a couple of microfiber towels, tire gauge, and a water bladder. I really didn't ever have to come home.

The Givi stuff is always in stock at Twisted Throttle out of Rhode Island. They ship promptly and you will have your choice of SW Mototech or Givi mounting hardware. The SW Mototech is a little slicker and the Givi is a little sturdier. Either can come off between trips with about 8 or 10 bolts.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's about my guess on internal dimensions too.

And the 41s are in the frame as an option. I've already gone on at length here about how I wish Givi/Kappa/SW-Motech would build a V35 mount for the Sprint ST. But it's not to be. All of them say they have no plans for it. Ah well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts