Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's starting to look like my wife is getting a gig in Naples and the rumors we are getting are stupid. I retired Army and have spent years in Germany and understand that very well. We are getting unsolicited advice like;
Don't bring your motorcycle, don't bring a nice car, prepare to have 1/3 of your household goods stolen in transit. If you live off base the locals will burglarize you every time you leave you apartment.

It sounds a little drastic, I mean I grew up in New Orleans, a crime riddled third world style, utterly corrupt city. Should I be worried?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I am stationed here right now.
If you have kids, you will likely be directed to live on base due to a current "direct assignment" protocol. If not, you will live out on the economy, and yes, according to statistics, your stuff will be damaged or stolen at some point during the tour.
The air quality is horrendous and all my kids (normally very healthy) now have serious recurring respiratory problems. My wife is on an inhaler for the first time in her life.
There are prostitutes on most side streets in Campania all day and night. My kids have seen a lot of breast and vaginas on the side of the road as we drove somewhere.
I had some things stolen AND some things damaged in shipping. Nothing very valuable. I shipped my wife's car because I needed wheels here, and didn't want to buy a car here and leave it here. I tend to fall in love with vehicles and would hate to part with one that was cool, so we shipped out Jetta wagon. The shipping company told me to leave nothing at all in the car not even spare tire and tools. I told them to NOT employ people who steal stuff, and see how that went for a while. They treated me like crap. The car got here no problem. The 2011 Bonneville was on its side in the shipping crate. Next time I will fill the box with pool noodles or bubble wrap all around the bike. Luckily, the only damage to the Bonnie was a bar-end mirror.
I live on the base, and have not had a moment's trouble on base at all. ALL of my peers (19 of them) and I have been the victims of a crime out in town. ALL of them live in what is supposedly the "nice" part of Naples (Monterachello and Pozzouli).
My 2011 Bonneville and it was totalled and I was hospitalized by a local driver doing the usual entitled self-importand a-hole move of not looking AT ALL where he was going. When you get here you will be shown a video of my crash at Area Orientation. It's super fun to watch.
I sued him and won, and then he sued me with some made up witnesses and lost. Impossible, and punished normally under fraud laws in the US. Perfectly normal here.
I now have a 2014 Bonneville (thanks to his insurance company and mine) and I ride it every single day all year in Naples. Not one moment's trouble at all because I park on base in a garage. I have close calls every day, but I ride very defensively and when I am going downtown I mount a camera on my helmet.
I NEVER park in Naples proper with the bike or car. I parked my wife's car in a guarded parking lot for two hours and came back to a smashed window. Nothing in the car to be stolen, so nothing stolen, and the cops called it vandelism.
So, short version: Naples sucks total ass, and I deeply regret bringing my children here.
Traveling FROM Naples is great, and easy, and cheap, and fun. I get out of town (so frequently I am running out of money) as often as possible.
If you come here, I will hook up with you and help you out all I can.
Let me know if you need any more info. Sorry to be a downer, but NOBODY that I work with isn't looking forward to getting the hell out of here.
If I could do it all over again I would have taken unaccompanied orders to Bahrain or a 15 month tour to Afghanistan and left my wife and kids in Virginia. Seriously.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Squid Six

Thanks for answering so fast. Just the info type I was looking for. I'm retired Army and have worked as contractor but always in Germany. My wife is a Navy GS employee and has been interviewed for a gig at Capodichino. It is starting to look like she is going to get it, she currently works here in Virginia. I doubt civilians get on base housing, but it would be cool.

I speak Italian and have traveled all over Northern Italy but never south of Rome. Well, went to Pompei for a day trip. My son is 18 and will stay in Virginia, I suppose our family diesel BMW can stay here also. Good call on packing my Bonneville for a lay down. My wife thinks we can only have one vehicle in the American system and I'll have to pay Italian road tax for the others, can we have two cars and a bike? If we wind up off base in a place with no parking, can I stash my Bonnie on base under a cover for a while till I figure something out? We will probably buy a pos fiat barchetta for her city beater and I'll find a junker from some GI/Squid rotating back. I'll let you know, PCS season is coming.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
You can register 3 vehicles total. Road tax for a bike is cheap. I think I pay 70 euros a year for the Bonneville. You can definitely park the bike on base. Capo (where I work) has two multi-story parking garages with plenty of bike space. A lot of the guys park their bikes here to prevent theft.
There are ALWAYS cars for sale on the support site in the "lemon lot" and many of them are really good cars. Just shop carefully.
There are reliable bus runs that will take you to and from capo to the support site for the time you are shopping for a car and an apartment.
My recommendation is to try to get on base, but if that doesn't work to get a parko with enclosed parking and a gate. (Although this did not prevent one of my coworkers getting his car stolen from his home last week)
As for the bike, I use a folding shelter in the parking lot on base. Very easy and very secure.
I would NOT be happy to drive around here in a car. Commuting is soooooo much easier on the bike. I ride year round, and the weather is never really too bad. Also, parking and getting around traffic jams is a snap on the bike.
If you are able to take all your weekend travel out of town, you will like it. There's a 50-100 mile circle around Naples or basically total junk, but outside of that it's a beautiful country. It is VERY hard to come back to Naples after a week of traveling. It's depressing as well.
On a side note, you don't have to go far to see some cool stuff, and the riding is pretty good:
http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-talk/521905-brought-british-lady-to-gladiator-camp.html

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool ride report and very nice Bonnie. I'm bringing an 03 T-100 100th Anniversary Edition. She's only a 790 but heavily modded and will easily run with a hot FI model.

Good info, I hope to see you at Capo this summer. Thanks for the gouge.

funny, my screen name Vecchio Lupo was given to me back when I was doing a NATO thing with L'escercito Italiana as a Senior NonCom back in the day. Like I said, grew up in New Orleans and lived in Newark, so maybe Napoli will seem normal.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I dunno about "normal" but I lived in Brooklyn for a few years and I have three ground combat tours under my belt, and this place actually surprised me.
When you get here I will give you all kinds of good gouge. We could use a level-headed retired Soldier here to counter the young Sailor with his good-idea fairy.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am so sorry for getting wound up...my wife did not get the gig in Naples, I guess the Navy needs her here in NSWC Dahlgren more. It's best if she stays within striking distance of DC anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts