Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for an old airbox (filter box) to turn into a swiss cheese, as I'd really rather not alter the one I am currently using any further. Let me know if you have one you'd be willing to part with.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
I have one, Mick. A couple of the holes on the front (carb) half are not great & the cover mount nut inserts are there but would need a bit of repair as they're loose. Rear half is fine. Don't want anything for it, but the postage looks like €22 :(.

Mike

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'd suggest you to go for a similar setup:

it works very well, costs about 10€ (horns + shipping), sounds good...

the horns improve the breathing capacity of the box without compromising low end torque

oops... images are a little too big...

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
giuino, thats along the lines I am pondering. Another member a few years ago did this and tuned the length of the intakes - the result was incredible - much better than any other T3 airbox mods to date on this site.

Trouble is I dont want to do it to my current airbox and I'm too tight to buy a new one :D

Tell me about the rest of your setup?
cams?
pistons?
ignitor?
main jet sizes?
pilot jet sizes?
other mods?
have you dyno'ed it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Tuning the intake length will be the next step :D

I think it's safer to have a 'like new' airbox, i have one, but the screws are messed and the rear part is already swisscheesed

other engine mods are:
daytona cams (not SIII)
original pistons
original ignitor
4 degree advanced ignition curve
3-1 t509 exhaust with leovince gp2 evo silencer
modded original carbs jetted 132 main, 40 idle, kn filter
i'll dyno it in a month.. I hope...

other mods:
daytona forks, revisited
daytona mono with modified linkage
double rotor, with a custom hub
Mv Agusta F4 six-pot brakes
tarozzi rearsets
many modded little bits here and there...
custom coloured
home made battery box and rear mudguard

here is a pic, some mods ago...

the ship isn't mine...

giuino, thats along the lines I am pondering. Another member a few years ago did this and tuned the length of the intakes - the result was incredible - much better than any other T3 airbox mods to date on this site.

Trouble is I dont want to do it to my current airbox and I'm too tight to buy a new one

Tell me about the rest of your setup?
cams?
pistons?
ignitor?
main jet sizes?
pilot jet sizes?
other mods?
have you dyno'ed it?

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Nice bike ! :)

Where did you get the fork brace from ?

Cheers
Mike

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mick, saw one on ebay last night, and it was cheap too.
I'll be darned if I can find it on there... only one I saw was the primary box not the filter housing

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Sorry Mick, that is what it was - I remembered it as the correct one. My wife says I have a memory problem, but I don't believe it. What were we talking about?:)

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I'm confused Mick. Are you looking for a primary or secondary airbox.

If it's a primary, I have no use for mine, so I'd be willing to part with it.

The secondary is another story because it holds on my side covers.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey Al - looking for the one that has the air filter in it - I'd call that secondary cos the air goes through it after the other one, but I have seen others call it primary

so

the filter box - the one that strips its nuts when you take it apart :D

And of course... "side covers" some would say we have 2 sets of them too!
:D:D

i'm assuming the one you dont have a need for is the one I want? PM me with how much you want for it.

·
Premium Member
3,797 Posts
Tuning the intake length will be the next step :D

home made battery box and rear mudguard

here is a pic, some mods ago...

giuino,

Can you snap a pic of the air box and battery box, under the seat?
What diameter did you use for your air horns?
And how long are they?

I saw an airbox mod very similar to that, and I've also thought of doing the same thing. I have the same header, but a different muffler. So your jetting gives me some good ideas for a starting place.

Thanks for that.

Blaine's airbox Mod

·
Registered
7 Posts
sorry for the delay, and the offtopic...

here are some fresh pics of the battery relocation

undertray

side with cdi box

upper view

battery container has been made from 1,8mm aluminium
undertray made with 1,2mm aluminium

under the battery as been located the preload regulator (ammo e linkage is from a daytona 900)

cdi ignitor bracket has been done with a scrap piece of aluminium, it's the ugliest bracket I've ever made... :(

if you look close, you can see a Megasquirt ECU used for carburation setup...

back to the airbox, horns are 48mm internal diameter, so about 2 inch external, 60mm long

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Damn those oversize pics!

The user was Blaine, he doesnt seem to have logged on since the upgrade / buyout. He had dramticly modified his airbox with long stacks - you can just see them in his old member album. Last time we spoke IIRC he was up to 98bhp (the same as a stock T3 speed 3). I believe he also had his cams custom ground.

He once sent me a CD of very detailed info on his mods for the site - I never got to posting it because it was several hundred MB and I was on dialup at that time. Unfortunately, this was a few years ago and I have moved house in between times so have no idea where it might be

1 - 17 of 17 Posts