Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bought a used J&M JMCB-2003 to communicate with others and get the music loud enough I can hear it on the freeway, since my new noisy helmet is louder than my current cheapo bluetooth speakers.

Went to mount the bracket for the J&M kit today (it's a bracket for an FJR, as that's what the guy I bought the J&M off of had), and got that on with a little modification, it mounts to the bolts that hold the clutch lever clamp onto the bars. However, when I set the J&M controller on top of the bracket, I came to realize that I'd lose about half my turning radius, as the J&M controller hits the nose fairing/mirror infill panels when you rotate the handle bars to the right.

So, anybody else got one of these on an ST, and if so, how on earth did you mount it? Pictures would be greatly appreciated :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's what I came up with for the handset:

And the CB antenna:

I'll be doing the wiring and testing it tomorrow with a buddy, will try to take more pics of the wiring and mounting.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Keep us posted.

Yes the silence is discouraging but trust me there are people that are interested in how you go but have no experiences that can be shared with you to help.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I would think an autocom would be cheaper/less bulky but a CB would be able to communicate with cars/trucks and other stuff so for that purpose I like it. Nice mounting too

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
I've been looking at these for a while, as the gang I often ride with uses them and I'm one of the few that doesn't have a CB. One of my pals tried a Midland and wasn't impressed.

Good find picking one up 'broken in'. The best place to get em seems to be Clay's Radios and they're not cheap.

Looks good so far. :RightSidecar

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Isn't an autocom unit cheaper and easy and far less bulky??
I don't recall looking specifically at autocom, but most of the other com units I was looking at only communicated with that same brand....and since I was one of the last guys in the group I ride with to get something, I wasn't going to be able to convince them all to change ;)

I like the CB because it does allow for talking to trucks/cars outside of our group, which occasionally comes in handy.

Got it mounted and wired up over the weekend, but there's a couple wires that I want to relocate, and the light in my buddy's garage sucked, so I'll get better pics of the install and wiring either Thursday night or sometime this weekend when I move the couple wires I don't currently like the placement of.

The only concern I had with putting the unit where I did was that I'd have to remove a hand from the handlebars to talk, as the lever on the lower left corner is the push to talk button....but I mentioned to my buddy that it'd be cool to rewire the flash to pass button to be the push to talk button, so we did that :D Now I only need to actually touch the J&M unit to either change volume or change channels.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I don't recall looking specifically at autocom, but most of the other com units I was looking at only communicated with that same brand....and since I was one of the last guys in the group I ride with to get something, I wasn't going to be able to convince them all to change ;)

I like the CB because it does allow for talking to trucks/cars outside of our group, which occasionally comes in handy.

ah ok fair enough. Autocom is an all in one unit, radio mp3 phone gps bike to bike rider to pillion etc

http://www.autocom.co.uk/

·
Registered
692 Posts
The JMCB-2003-B-DU (two rider model) or JMCB-2003-B-SL (single rider) is meant to mount to the left handlebar with a model specific mounting kit that is sold separately. I telephoned the company below who sells these JMCB models in the U.S., Canada, U.K. and Austrailia, and was told that there is no specific mounting kit for the Sprint (or my Kawasaki Concours 14, a.k.a. GTR 1400 for that matter). He said that what they do when there is no specific mounting kit, is modify a RAM mount and either place on the left handlebar or alternatively in a middle position with a press-to-talk button on the left handlegrip. That is for motorcycles that come into the store, but he recommended having a motorcycle accessory store that carries the RAM mounts do this installation (when you can not bring your motorcycle in) because it requires some modification of the RAM mount. If the RAM mount is done in-house, Clays charges another $50-60 (depends on what modification is needed for the bike model).

http://www.claysradioshop.com/jm_products-JMCB03.html

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The JMCB-2003-B-DU (two rider model) or JMCB-2003-B-SL (single rider) is meant to mount to the left handlebar with a model specific mounting kit that is sold separately. I telephoned the company below who sells these JMCB models in the U.S., Canada, U.K. and Austrailia, and was told that there is no specific mounting kit for the Sprint (or my Kawasaki Concours 14, a.k.a. GTR 1400 for that matter). He said that what they do when there is no specific mounting kit, is modify a RAM mount and either place on the left handlebar or alternatively in a middle position with a press-to-talk button on the left handlegrip. That is for motorcycles that come into the store, but he recommended having a motorcycle accessory store that carries the RAM mounts do this installation (when you can not bring your motorcycle in) because it requires some modification of the RAM mount. If the RAM mount is done in-house, Clays charges another $50-60 (depends on what modification is needed for the bike model).

http://www.claysradioshop.com/jm_products-JMCB03.html
Was he able to provide a picture of how they mounted it? Based on the lack of clearance between the bars and the windscreen and tank, I don't see how you could conceivably mount it to the left handlebar at all. I read somewhere online about someone having one on his ST, but he had no pictures, and I wasn't able to ask what year his bike was. I think it might've fit with a slight bracket modification with the older STs with lower bars, but I don't see how you could possibly fit it on there with the taller bars. It isn't a just little off, contact starts way before you get to steering lock, probably before you even get to half lock.

I think the best solution is definitely to put it in the middle and rewire the flash to pass switch or use one of J&M's remote switches.

pympster, do you know whether the Autocom uses the CB band or is a proprietary radio that can only talk to other Autocom radios? I don't see a lot of details on their site, but that could be a cheaper alternative for a couple other guys I ride with who aren't willing to plunk down the money for a J&M yet, assuming it uses the CB band, but I can't confirm that based just on their website.

·
Registered
449 Posts
. pympster said:
\

An Autocom just provides a means of integrating different audio devices so you can listen in your helmet speakers. They have different boxes, cables, head sets, etc that allow you to use 2 way radios, cell phones, Ipods, GPS, radar detectors or pretty much anything.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Naskie18,
I did not ask for a photo, so don't know if they have one. All he said was that they cut the RAM stalk down so that the JMCB sits lower. Maybe that cures clearance issues for some motorcycle models when the JMCB is placed on the left handlebar.

I have seen RAM mounted right on stem of the Kawasaki Concours 14 (GTR 1400). This results in a low position between the handlebars and clearance from the body panals is then not an issue. Here is a U.K. site showing the stem mount, but should be available from any RAM dealer:

http://www.sportouring.com/main.php?group=RAM_KITS

·
Registered
123 Posts
Autocom has adaptors for lots of different radios, not sure how it works with what you hope to use. Shoot them an email and see what they say :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alrighty, I reran some of the wiring and got some new pictures, so here they are:

Here's the antenna wiring, managed to run it through the mount for the topbox, and that keeps it mostly hidden:

If you look real close in this picture, you may be able to see the wiring from the antenna running along the inside of the fairing on the left side, back up toward the front of the bike where the rest of the wiring is:

There's actually a good amount of space behind the instrument cluster, so I was able to put all the other related wiring and modules up there, which worked out great, since the closer that stuff is to the engine the more noise you tend to get. Here's a couple pics of all the wiring shoved in there:

In addition to the J&M wiring, the cigarette lighter sized thing in there is a Kensington bluetooth adapter plugged...it basically connects to a bluetooth device and then converts that to a standard 3.5mm audio, which is what the J&M accepts for auxiliary audio, so this way my phone can stay in my pocket and I can listen to the music on my phone.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here's the controls for the Kensington bluetooth adapter. I'm still not sold on this location, as it makes me really have to reach for the turn signal button, so I'm seeing whether I get used to it or if I have to relocate it elsewhere.

I originally put the connector the J&M uses down by the powerlet, but as I was riding that eventually got the cord between my leg and the tank, which wasn't something I found comfortable. I relocated it a few days ago and think I like this position much better.

And the setup powered on

·
Registered
145 Posts
For those of you that do have it, how is that J&M holding up? Seems like there are very few choices for handlebar mount CB radios. Any other suggestions? I've done a bunch of searching and can't seem to come up with much.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
For those of you that do have it, how is that J&M holding up?
It's been fine for me, been a little over a year since I installed mine, although I bought my unit used and really don't know how old it is. I actually really like where I located the unit, and the rewiring of the flash-to-pass button as my push-to-talk button, very convenient, and keeps the unit itself out of the way.

I've changed the bluetooth adapter I'm using for music, the remote for the one pictured above fell out one day and ended up on some road somewhere, and they don't sell just the remote, and they stopped selling that bluetooth adapter, so I had to find something else. Now I'm using a Clarion unit that has a wired remote, so I shouldn't ever have that issue again.

Just last week I got a different mount for the antenna, a mount that allows folding at 90 degrees, which will be helpful for trailering, as my bike didn't fit in the trailer with the previous setup. I haven't tested it much with the new mount, I'll hope to do that this week, if I can get my spark plugs changed and get it all put back together tomorrow night. Leaving Friday for a trip to Utah with a few other guys with CBs (guy on an FJR with a J&M and a couple guys on Goldwings with CBs), so I'd like to get a little testing in first to make sure I don't have any issues.

My buddy with the FJR bought his unit new just over two years ago, and his crapped out on him a couple weeks ago. Called up J&M and explained what happened, turns out he was just out of warranty (I guess new they come with a two year warranty,and he was a couple months past that), but they said send it back and they'll take a look at it, and I guess they're usually pretty lenient with their warranty duration. Turns out they couldn't easily fix whatever was wrong with his....so they sent him a brand new unit, no cost (other than the $6 it cost him to ship the old one to them). Pretty good customer service, I certainly wouldn't have any concerns purchasing products from them in the future.

One other thing my buddy was telling me about recently, if you don't like the look of the CB antenna, he was saying they've (I assume it's something J&M offers, though you may be able to find it elsewhere as well) got a "flexible" antenna now that's basically designed so that you can run it behind the fairings on the bikes, so you avoid the "eyesore". I don't know anybody with it, so I'm not sure how well it works, but it could be something worth looking at depending on how much the antenna being visible bothers you.

I don't think I'll ever have a bike without a communication system again, I get a lot of usage out of this when I'm riding with my buddy who also has it, it's made our trips much more convenient, and when I go on trips with people who don't have one, I realize how much more convenient they are.

·
Registered
41 Posts
http://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=39
FWIW- a J&M system is designed to be mounted on the left handlebar as shown in the link. The trigger on the unit is the PTT. It is waterproof and a nice clean design. If no bracket is available, it shouldn't be too difficult to fabricate one out of aluminum.

For those that asked about Autocom-
Starcom & Autocom systems are intercoms that allow different audio sources to be integrated. Various cables are required for each specific audio source. The intercom itself is not a radio.

The J&M system is one of the best for a clean install, but is CB radio only and not cheap. For FRS/GMRS transmitters Autocom or Starcom are the way to go. The mics are superior at speed. Of course, after all the audio sources are mounted and cabled in it can get fair expensive as well.

Wireless options include SENA Bluetooth & other BT headsets. A Bluetooth system can communicate with other headsets via BT, but only with the same brand. The best method for bike-to-bike is still a separate transmitter (CB or FRS) which requires it to be integrated into the system somehow.

There are so many options and so many variables and so many complications it can be frustrating.

I'm currently running a SENA BT headset wirelessly connected to my Zumo GPS. My cell phone is connected to the GPS, but the mic isn't good enough to be heard at speed (only when I am parked). The SENA is a great headset. The audio coming in is fantastic, and it is very easy to use. I intend to install my old Autocom system on the Sprint soon. I will then be able to integrate the GPS, cell phone, radar detector, handheld FRS or CB transmitter, and a music source (sat. radio/mp3 player). It is a wired system, but once installed with all the bugs worked out & audio balanced... it works fairly flawlessly. It's just a lot of work to install !!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
http://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=39
FWIW- a J&M system is designed to be mounted on the left handlebar as shown in the link.
Yes, except that it doesn't physically fit on the ST that way...the J&M unit will hit the upper portion of the nose cowl before you make it to steering lock, which is what forced me into the alternative mount I came up with.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts