Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying these risers. there are a number of people selling them on ebay. They are 6" which makes me wonder whether i'll have any problems with cable/brake hose length. Those ones Sal bought in that other thread are 6", but they're pullbacks and i wonder if that helps make the cable lengths work better. Also, these have hollow bases that extend in about 1/4-1/2" which is like that to fit over a "stump" for lack of a better word that some harleys have. I don't think that would be a problem since i could always fill the void with washers or something to keep the edges from digging into the triple clamp. But take a look at them and tell me if you see any reason they might not work. Seems pretty simple to determine, but with my luck i'm missing something that will have me trashing them and wasting my money. Oh, and i realize i'll have to drill the clamp for the 1/2" bolts or get stepped studs that go from 1/2" to 12mm.

[ This message was edited by: dazco on 2006-11-28 19:35 ]

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
EDIT: DO NOT BUY THESE !!! THEY ARE NOT FOR 1" BARS AS THEY SAY!

nevermind. I just found some i think i really like, tho i'd like to see them on the bike. (Ridge? :-D ) They have 12mm bolts too, so no drilling.

[ This message was edited by: dazco on 2006-12-07 15:00 ]

·
Registered
72 Posts
Those are very similar to the Euro style 6" risers I used from Dennis Kirk. The price on your find is much lower. I would go with them. The cables should just fit, barely. Mine did.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are actually 1/2" less at 5.5", so thats an even safer bet. However, all the places i found them at don't answer emails and either have no phone contact or have a phone but never answer it or the message you leave. I don't know HTF they ever sell anything!!! I spent the day trying to get questions answered i need before i can order them. (mostly ordering/shipping/instock sorta questions) I got one email from one of them but it didn't answer the main qiestion i needed to know. I may have to look for a different riser since they seem content to show thier products and not sell them ! :???:

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well i just said F it and ordered them even w/o all the info i needed. So for all i know it'll take a month. I think they'll look great and have just a bit of pullback (and 1.5" more rise than stock) but not so much i'll feel like i'm sitting up too straight. $106 OTD. ($98 + tax but free ship) theres another place considerably cheaper at $73, but they never got back to me about the shipping which i could not change from a $28 UPS service which woulda made em about the same. So i got them where it seemed more likely to take less time because i think they have em in stock. But anyways i'll post some pics when i install them.

N

·
0 Posts
They are very pretty Daz - should look great. What's that center 'bolt head' between the two allen heads ? Looking forward to seeing those on the bike.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know. I suspect it may be to tighten the bars. Possibly the clamps are made unlike most risers to completely close around the bar so there's no gap. Most don't because they have to be a tad smaller than the bar to have any clamping power. So i'm guessing that they made them to close with no gap for cosmetic reasons and the top screw clamps the bars securly. Just a guess, but i was wondering that myself. The pic is too small and when you blow it up it gets too grainy to see anything., But i was also thinking it sorta looks like there are panels of some sort on the fronts and top. But they're suppose to be solid billet so who knows. So it will be a suprise package when it arrives.......a good one i hope. (it's about time i had a bit of luck with the bike by now doncha think? :-D )

N

·
0 Posts
Good thought. I sure do hope they work out for you. They look great. Keep us posted.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will guys. Suprisingly the store (baddogstyles.com) was quick. they shipped it an hour or so ago.

·
Registered
711 Posts
daz is still in love with his bad girl, buying her all that X-Mas bling, hahahahaha! She breaks your heart again and again, but ya just can't give up the ride!

Daz, looks nicely made in the pic, should add a nice touch to your bike. U R DUE in spades!

Good luck.
BobW :hihi:

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You got that right ! Couple weeks ago i coulda cared less about any of this stuff. But now things are back to normal and the shopping bug has bit. :-D Can't wait to see these things, but gotta wait till next wednesday. Gonna be a long 5 days. Now wheres that UPS tracking shortcut.......

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, i got em today and i'll install them tomorrow. A few observations.....that middle thing is a not a bolt but a friggin thick plastic emblem with "mapam" (the maker) on it. Geez, why the F would they think anyone would want that there? It peels right off, but thats not the end of it. Theres a recessed circle that it fits in, so now you have this senseless hole about 1/2 mm deep. luckily i can sand the tops down then polish them. but ***** ! then theres the other issue. may not matter to some, but the aluminum is not mirror smooth. Not bad, but enough to keep them from being really nice. I sanded and polished them and now they look great like chrome but with that richness that polished aluminum has. but the tops i'll have to use a belt sander on (at work tomorrow) to take them down enough to level that circle then fine sand and polish.

It's some work, but they're looking really good right now, and i figure at the price which is about 1/2 of a set thats comparable to what these are like after the work i can live with a little soreness in my hands and a hour or 2's work. the only thing tho about polished aluminum is it's high maintenance. I know that from my lower triple clamp i sanded and polished. It always needs attention to stay looking great. I held them up to the bike next to the stock risers and they look real rich and much more quality looking by comparison with a good amount of heigth and pullback but not too much. Just right to my eye and i think i'm probably gonna like the feel a lot. If you don't mind a little work i think these are going to be some of the best risers for a speedmaster you'll find. No clamp drilling either since the bolts are the same 12mm. Anyways, once i get them installed i'll post pics.

O

·
0 Posts
How did the 5.5 Inch Billet Pullback Risers with M12 Threads go dazco?
I am in great need of a similar fix and the riser you purchased seems just the ticket.

Ozzie

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you mean how do they feel, well, i think i've tierd of them ! I think i'm going back to stock because while they feel nice, after a short time my back starts bothering me and i feel the need to lean forward. My back never bothered me and i never felt a need to lean back or forward with the stock ones. I just thought it would be a nice feel to have them higher and pulled back. But the pullback is i think the problem. If they were just straight with a rise i might not have a problem. In any case it's back to stock, or possibly some risers that have no pullback. (tho there would be a bit due to the backwards angle of the triple clamp)

·
Registered
121 Posts
that's interesting Daz you're saying you are going back to stock, particularly after all the hassle but if it's not as comfortable as you thought it would be then nothing ventured, nothing gained. I ended up putting my deuce risers on. It took a bit of fiddling as you know but they look fantastic and the feel is great. I'm also waiting on my corbin seat and backrest so that when they arrive, I reckon my back will sit nicely on the rest and figure I should be able to ride all day without problems. When I get a chance I'll post some new photos.

O

·
0 Posts
I am 6ft 1 and a big bloke.
I have a frozen shoulder from a car accident many years ago..I was doing 60mph and the car was stopped, intertia a terrible thing when you get it wrong...what I was hoping for in an ideal world would be an America style handlebar with small riser (ala America) to accommodate the knackered shoulder better.
However after reading intently all the posts pertaining to ride height/comfort I still and clueless (mind you I am used to that feeling).
To top it all of I am a right below amputee and my nickname is lucky..no it ain't but it did read funny.
I use the foot boards for ease of use, I don't have an ankle so I just slid on up to the rear brake.
I will keep reading and I thank all for their input.
Oz

1 - 20 of 34 Posts