Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a lot of people talk about the Bonnies (which I like and almost bought) but I am the happy owner of a 09 America. I don't see anything on here about them. Does anybody else own one? If so what mods have you made? What is a good place to get parts/accessories/upgrades from? Anything I should keep an eye out for maintenance wise?

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
BA

I went to buy a BA! Was too big & non agile for me. Loved the way it looked etc.. I THINK there is a / many sites that deal just w/ the BA. I rode w a good friend w/a BA till he passed away a year ago.He had many sites & clubs he belonged to. Nice bike!! I wanted a "Sports car" bike like my 65Bonne. I got one w/ my 04 when I went to buy. Had a deal offered on a Thrux $7100 OTD that I really wanted, but w/ a bad back it just didnt work. Got the Bonne & have loved it more every day!! It does everything I wanted another bike to do. MUCH better than my old 65 Bonne!!!!!! Keep lokin- there are MANY BA sites/ clubs out there!!

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Just for the record Captdon, they only feel "non agile" when you first ride one. Trust me on this....once you are used to them they are quite capable in that regard. They just take some getting used to. I couldn't even pass the DMV test on mine at first. Now i can do 1 MPH full lock circles all day with no problem. Yet when i first got it i thought there was something wrong at the steering head because it felt so non agile at low speed especially. This turns off a lot of potential buyers from what i've seen said. I may not have bought mine if i had test ridden it. But i bought it w/o a test ride !! (and awful glad i did !) Not only that, but in high speed sweepers i actually feel it's more agile than a standard due to the longer wheelbase. Tracks like it's on rails.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
BA

Hey Daz!! Yeah it was a weight factor as well. the Bonne is what I had in the 60's & its my sports car. The BA is more of a cruiser w/ a Bonne is NOT! My buds BA was nice!! I rode it & liked the ride MUCH more comfort wise than my Bonne. My Bonne is my sports car for twisties, & just hotroddin around.Both are GREAT bikes!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
I felt I was too short, leg wise, sitting on a Bonnie in the showroom.
Opted for the BA, and have been more than pleased. Being a new rider, the forward controls just felt natural to me.
Here's mine:

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Love my BA as much as I did the T-100. More info on BA listed on that other forum noted above. Last time I said the other name my post was banished.....big brother is watching

·
Registered
52 Posts
Tba

There are a few of us in here, i've got an 02 cardinal red America, and love it! Plenty of sites for after market parts, but most will be found along side the standard bonne parts. As far as mods, start going thru some of these old forums for ideas, and make your bike your own, AI removal, and new pipes are almost mandatory on these bikes! Keep us updated on your progress!

·
Registered
5 Posts
We exist, the BA is the best kept secret, and it probably sells best in the states. Bought my 07 Phantom Black America this last summer and rode tough for over 4k miles. It has been a joy and is perfect for the newer rider just looking to enjoy riding. It's not lightning fast but a few mods later and you really have something. The thing that sold me was the price. At $8k, that's roughly half the cost of a HD. It was a no brainer for me when I swung my leg over it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is it still recommended to remove the AI with the 09 EFI? I know I want to replace the exhaust to something a little louder. I don't want to get something HD window rattling loud but something that is louder than the current pipes. I am looking for a complete exhaust replacement over just getting caps. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
24 Posts
BA's are the best. Had a BA EFI since March 08, done 4,000 kms. Added only a few extras, sissy bar, panniers and "not for road" pipes. It looks great and great for those weekend cruises. A lot has been done two up. The "not for road" pipes are adequately louder than the sewing machine loudness pipes the standard bike comes with, but not so loud they dominate your head after a few hours of riding. In this corner of the world there are few long straight roads and plenty of corners and hills. The BA is a handling pleasure for those cruises. If I wanted to race, I would have got a different type of bike, for me cruising on a BA is the best.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have had my 08 america since March and I just love it . this summer I will have a BB kit installed not sure what size maybe the 1100 kit . I went looking for a EFI but all I could find in Florida was the carb models.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Is it still recommended to remove the AI with the 09 EFI? I know I want to replace the exhaust to something a little louder. I don't want to get something HD window rattling loud but something that is louder than the current pipes. I am looking for a complete exhaust replacement over just getting caps. Any recommendations?
I have an 07 America with AI removed, short TORs, uni filter and rejet, but don't get back to this site that often. I would be inclined to remove the AI on your 09. It won't hurt anything and might reduce pipe blueing. As far as pipes are concerned you only need to replace the mufflers. I have the short tapered Tor's which sound better than stock, but are not overly loud. A friend of mine has Bubs which are louder and would be a better choice for performance reasons (assuming you can remap the FI on the new bikes - not sure if anyone has figured out how to re-map the triumphs yet). Anyway good luck with your America.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a 08 EFI BA and love it.I had short TORS fitted prior to picking up the bike.Plenty loud enough.The EFI is remapped when the pipes are fitted as part of the fitting process. The BA did feel a little ponderous the first day I rode it home but now it fits like a glove and feels like it is on rails thru the twisties!
There is something about these bikes that screams I'm an individual when compared to all the HD's and metric cruisers you see on the roads.I wouldn't mind betting you dont see many that stay stock!:)
I still dont know what the verdict is regards AI removal.The dealer told me Triumph dont recommend it with EFI bikes.The pipes dont go blue anyway.(double skinned headers.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I see a lot of people talk about the Bonnies (which I like and almost bought) but I am the happy owner of a 09 America. I don't see anything on here about them. Does anybody else own one? If so what mods have you made? What is a good place to get parts/accessories/upgrades from? Anything I should keep an eye out for maintenance wise?
I own a '07 Triumph America and am very happy with it - I added a tach and the Triumph TOR pipes, which I also love. Am not planning on adding anything else (bought it with the small luggage rack and the summer shield). Maintenance is surprisingly low. Keep chain lubed, and check your oil on occasion (not an easy trick). When I pull into a scenic overlook, like in New Hampshire, close to where I live, the Harley guys all gather around to admire the look. Nice looking bike, they say . . .

-boston triumph america owner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts