Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been biking for a few years but traded in bikes before I needed to replace tires. Now on my Tiger 1050, I finally need to. I wont be doing it myself as don't have the tools or workshop, will be getting it done at my local garage.

So what is the general opinion on replacement tyres? Do people just go with whatever generic no-name tyres the garage gets in? Go for a particular brand? Is it worth paying a bit extra and if so, how much? I mainly ride on roads with the very occasional bit of rough track / gravel.

Any advice welcome! :D

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I've been biking for a few years but traded in bikes before I needed to replace tires. Now on my Tiger 1050, I finally need to. I wont be doing it myself as don't have the tools or workshop, will be getting it done at my local garage.

So what is the general opinion on replacement tyres? Do people just go with whatever generic no-name tyres the garage gets in? Go for a particular brand? Is it worth paying a bit extra and if so, how much? I mainly ride on roads with the very occasional bit of rough track / gravel.

Any advice welcome! :D
Are you looking at a street tyre or dual purpose tyre? I never buy cheap tires, only name brands and for the road, I get Michelin Pilot Road 4. I tend to pick sport touring tyres to get better mileage out of them. I also do a bit of two up riding and sticky sport tyres do not last long when two arses are on them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you looking at a street tyre or dual purpose tyre? I never buy cheap tires, only name brands and for the road, I get Michelin Pilot Road 4. I tend to pick sport touring tyres to get better mileage out of them. I also do a bit of two up riding and sticky sport tyres do not last long when two arses are on them.
Just for riding on the road. I have a few friends I visit regularly who live at the end of a somewhat pebbly track, but it's about half a mile so not worth factoring in I would think.

I want whatever is good on the road and lasts fairly well. I'll look at the Pilot Road 4's. Do you notice much difference with them?

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Just for riding on the road. I have a few friends I visit regularly who live at the end of a somewhat pebbly track, but it's about half a mile so not worth factoring in I would think.

I want whatever is good on the road and lasts fairly well. I'll look at the Pilot Road 4's. Do you notice much difference with them?
No. They behave like the earlier PR3s I have had. work well in wet as well as dry.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Where the original fitment is 110/80, is it worth going to 120/70 to get more modern rubber ? I'm talking Sport/Touring types.
(My bike is a Tiger955i)

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Where the original fitment is 110/80, is it worth going to 120/70 to get more modern rubber ? I'm talking Sport/Touring types.
(My bike is a Tiger955i)
I don't believe there is a 120/70 in 19", but even if there is I don't think it's worth changing. The improvement in traction and handling comes far more from tire profile, tread and compound than slight size change.

I put Michelin Pilot Road 4 Trail on my T800 recently and the difference over the stock Skorpion Trail is exactly what I expected. Completely better everything. I can't believe this one though:

Since Day One the front brake has always made a noticeable squeal sound for that last 1/2 a revolution of the tire as I come to a stop. No problem with the brakes, no chatter marks on the rotor, never a lockup, nothing. I put 10,900 miles on those OE tires and it always did that.

Now it's gone.

I did not change the brake pads, they are still the OE ones and have more than 1/2 the life left on them. I have no clue why the brake squeal is no longer present because the ONLY thing that changed was the tire. But I'm happy it's gone.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm looking at the Metzeler Roadtec01. I've been a Michelin Pilot Road fan for years until the PR4. I guess it depends on everybody's riding style or experience, but the PR4 is the worst tire I've ridden on. On the positive side, it's a very long lasting tire and does excellent in the rain. The negative...tire feels sluggish, heavy, and tips over into corners. If you enjoy aggressive riding on pavement, this tire has zero feeling.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I'm looking at the Metzeler Roadtec01. I've been a Michelin Pilot Road fan for years until the PR4. I guess it depends on everybody's riding style or experience, but the PR4 is the worst tire I've ridden on. On the positive side, it's a very long lasting tire and does excellent in the rain. The negative...tire feels sluggish, heavy, and tips over into corners. If you enjoy aggressive riding on pavement, this tire has zero feeling.
Like you say, everyone has differing opinions about tires, though in the case of PR4's I believe you'll find yourself in a fairly small minority.

I get NONE of that out of my PR4's, other than I hope to have them last long.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I have a Speed Triple, and the PR4 is my choice. I get pretty frisky around corners here and I've never been at a loss for grip on my PR4s.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey, thanks for the advice everybody. I've gone for the Pilot Road 4s. Seemed like a good balance with a lot of recommends. I don't know if they're the best I could get but they should be a step up from the stock ones I'm replacing.

Cheers!

·
Registered
784 Posts
From their website, Metzeler do the Roadtec01 in 110/80 and 120/70 X 19 as well as 150/70 and 160/60 X 17. The 01 is a reasonably modern tyre for sport/touring I believe. They claim an increase in mileage from them as well as all the other benefits of wet road performance etc.

·
Registered
84 Posts
From their website, Metzeler do the Roadtec01 in 110/80 and 120/70 X 19 as well as 150/70 and 160/60 X 17. The 01 is a reasonably modern tyre for sport/touring I believe. They claim an increase in mileage from them as well as all the other benefits of wet road performance etc.

I think this might be my next tire. It's getting rave reviews from professional testers. I'm waiting on more real world opinions.

Maybe I just got a bad set of PR4's, again I loved the 2's and 3's. I put them on my GSXR1000 last year and on the way home from the shop I thought something was wrong. I was thinking they must be under inflated or possibly mounted backwords. Everything checked out install wise. I'm not going to risk getting another pair for my Tiger to find out if it was just a bad set.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I should change my profile. I live in San Antonio now and ride in the Hill Country every weekend. Look up "Three Twisted Sisters".....and come on down for a ride.

It's fun!
Flyfisher, I've been to San Antonio, Alamo and more. Thanks for the invite but not in the Summer. Ride well and be safe.:motorbike2

Chico

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Flyfisher, I've been to San Antonio, Alamo and more. Thanks for the invite but not in the Summer. Ride well and be safe.:motorbike2

Chico
I understand! I don't even like to ride in summer here. I'm already at the point where I have to begin my ride at 7 and finish by noon if I don't want to cook myself....and it's only May.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My tiger came with Tourance Next tyres. I'd had several PR4's on my previous F700GS but found they didn't wear evenly between the centre and side compound, resulting in having to change them sooner than I felt I should have. Will see how the next's perform over time, done 3,500 miles so far and have been pleased with their performance.

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
I was reading reviews on the PR4's and there were a lot of complaints about mileage on them. Like less than 5000 miles on the back.

What are your results?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I have 4500 miles on my Pilot Road 4 Trail (front and rear) and it's just starting to get a flat spot in the middle of the rear. PLENTY of tread left and I've never feared leaning over on somewhat squared-off tires. The part that isn't squared off is still original profile and works fine.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm still running the OEM Tourance Next on mine. At 6K I have about 4.5mm of tread left. Unless I start running on hot roads out west they look like they might last over 8 - 10 K

I've worn out sever sets of PR3s and PR4s on my Honda NT 700. Most rears get 6K - 8.5K. The Honda is a bit heavier than the Tiger, but has less hp.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts