Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So with $500 for the paint, $250 for the exhaust, and $55 for the wheel being money well spent but money spent none the less I've emptied my bank account and not getting paid again for 2 weeks. I need to move my original tire off my old rim and install it on the new one.

The fear is that its $35-$45 to pull a tire at the local shop and I'm not sure if that is to remove than install and balance the tire on the new rim. Thats fairly pricey and means no golf next week.

So I searched you tube and found a video of a guy doing it in literally 2 mins worth of work. It was somewhat legit as he was teaching some sort of race school. He used 2 tire irons from harbor freight that are $6 a peice and some plastic to protect the wheel.

I am curious if anyone on here has done this and if you'd recommend giving it a try. I don't want to mess up the tire because it has less than 2000 miles on it but I don't want to spend $70 if I don't have to. What do you guys think, good idea? bad idea?

Plan to polish the parts tomorrow or sunday and be riding monday by the way, with pics a plenty.
Thanks
Tom

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Sounds like you are talking about scudman? He does make it look easy, doesn't he? :D

There are several of us doing it ourselves with a variety of equipment. BTW, the plastic bottle protectors scudman recommends work much better than the store bought ones. :D

It is not what I would describe as easy, but if you follow his tips it is doable. The hardest part for me was breaking the bead on the rear. Now that I made a beadbreaker kludge, it is easy.

The HF irons are the better ones on the market. They also sell a tire changer and I know of at least one forum member that uses it.

Scudman also has suspension videos. I linked to them in another thread a few days ago.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
What O&D said. I would only add that it's more likely to be 2 hours than 2 minutes. Also that it's a very useful skill to have & you'll get faster with practice.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
I don't bother. My dealer gives me a heck of a deal on tires mounted and balanced. In, chew the fat and have a cup of coffee and out I go.
Leave tire changing to you young pups. I've changed enough of them in my life.:D

·
Registered
196 Posts
Ditto what dolson said. I started to do it myself but gave up (after starting to scratch the rim) and went to my local independent guys. They charged me $10 per wheel to dismount/mount my tires.
I would have to change a lot of tires PER YEAR to justify changing them myself with the proper equipment.
I had just purchased a nice Marc Parnes balancer so I balanced them myself.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have done several and not found it too difficult, I would like to congratulate 3banger on his workshop ability "top work", definately easier with a purpose built rig, the balancing is easy as well. The trouble is, as I get older bending down to remove a tyre is getting harder (2 damaged discs in lower back) and I always get a quote for my tyres fitted now!

In a roundabout way of answering your original post, yes I have changed my own tyres, but I now work on the theory of "work smarter not harder", get someone else to do em! (haggle on the price for fitment)

Just my 2c
Regards
Ozzyfzr

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
I've admired 3bangers's set up for a while now and every time I do, it makes me feel as though my method was devised by a cave man. :D

I've also enjoyed his smugmug gallery. His sliders have been an inspiration for me.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I ride with a group of 5 other motorcycle instructors (I am one as well). We went together and bought a no mar tire changer. Works slick and easy. You can find it by a google search, they have video's on the website. I think it cost us 125 each or something like that. I have changed my front and rear, and others have done the same. Our area it costs 80.00 to change front and rear, as a minimum.. some places are even up to 100+ for doing a set. So it works out pretty quick that we are saving money. The second set is half price, then after that, changing is free. We have even though about charging other 20.00 to do their tires for them. Fair deal, half price of the shop price.

Dr. T with another idea for the box.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
We have even though about charging other 20.00 to do their tires for them. Fair deal, half price of the shop price.
Due diligence would include exploring your potential liability if you accept pay for work. Don't know if a signed waiver would be sufficient?

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
<...>They charged me $10 per wheel to dismount/mount my tires.<...>
It's $50 per here in NYC; if it was $10 a pop I would surely pay a shop to do it!

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
12 Posts
Changed mine all my riding life.
I found the idea of the tubeless beads initially imtimidating and purchased one of the Harbor Freight tire changers which does a fine job. Once the bead is broken I can almost peel them off by hand.

·
Registered
703 Posts
No-Mar tire changers are awesome! If you can get a couple guys to go in on one, the price is not too bad. They have a new model out, called Cycle Hill (from No-Mar) that is even more reasonable priced to compete with Harbor Freight. They are located here locally, near me, and I've seen the factory. They machine the products right there. Great product. Too bad I haven't convinced any friends to go in on one! BTW---you can get a mount that allows this system to be setup using a trailer hitch, that way you can share it around and/or take to a trackday or whatever.

·
Registered
12 Posts
:eek: You must have Super Hero hands because most mere mortals could never do that. :rolleyes:
I do this on my V-Rod. The valley between the beads is so deep that once you break both beads, the tire falls between and nearly falls off the rim. I don't know how the Triumph wheels compare.
Beyond that I have 54 yr. old arthritic hands

1 - 20 of 38 Posts