Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
That was badass and I hope it's not a threadkill. I dare anybody to post a helmet cam of plonking around the suburbs after that.

What was going on with the rope flapping about on your ZX14 run on the salt?
Sorry I don't want to be a killer, not sure what you meant but it was probably not a good thing.

The rope on one of the videos was because the guy who owned the bike then didn't want to loose the GoPro. Later I told him I would rather loose it than get beat to death. After that run it was removed. The next time I ran another Kawasaki I missed the entry timing device about six inches at 190+ MPH.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Thanks. Threadkill comes in many forms. It's usually unintentional. It's the final thing said that results in the conversation ceasing. Sometimes it's profound, sometimes someone says something so banal the hive recognizes there is nothing more to learn. Sometimes you kill threads and feel bad the thread had to die.

I thought a thread that featured disdain or at least apathy toward the phenomena of Go-Pro ing and posting everyday events like riding motorcycles through random boring roads at pedestrian speeds - the whole 'life as content' thing - would not hold up well to Bonneville.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I use the GoPro to see where I screwed up or did well when I go racing. It is an excellent tool for learning. In the last GoPro on the Kawasaki about a minute half in I kept my head down too long and about killed myself...a bonehead mistake.

A day later going almost 200 mph I caught a side wind just as I was passing the last timing marker and it moved me about three feet to the left where I almost clipped the exit timing marker. This wasn't a bonehead mistake but I should have anticipated the winds
breaking off the mountains.

I watch a lot of GoPro stuff from other guys that don't have any racing on them so I hope people will post them up.

Justdad

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
About killed myself is not just a lyrical statement when mistakes happen near 200 mph.

When watching your vids, I was struck by the raw, visceral feeling of the Thruxton 900 on full boil compared to the how smoothly and effortlessly the 1200 accelerates. It really shows how different those two engines feel from the cockpit.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Heres a ride I enjoyed in 2007. We were required to ride the course twice at regular road speeds and then they set us loose, go at your own speed.
I saw 120 mph a couple of times, once on the very rough Sulby straight where the front suspension bottomed.
Im just in the frame for a glimpse doing a pass at 1.34 ( Gaudy leathers) and same shot again in the closing credits at the 4 minute mark.
Very much the opposite of Bonneville, there are 234 corners in a lap and lots of
Stone walls plus buildings to run into.
The bike I'm on is the 38 th Vincent made by the factory after WW2.

After the event we loaded it up for 2500 miles of two up touring of England and Scotland.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b96qUn1EKsI

Glen

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
About killed myself is not just a lyrical statement when mistakes happen near 200 mph.

When watching your vids, I was struck by the raw, visceral feeling of the Thruxton 900 on full boil compared to the how smoothly and effortlessly the 1200 accelerates. It really shows how different those two engines feel from the cockpit.
You know that's a great observation. When I took both Thruxtons to Bonneville in 2016 I just knew the 1200R would kill the 900. The 900 went 140 and the 1200 went 130. I took the 1200 back in 2017 and got it up to 136+ but still not as fast as the 900. The 900 is the scariest to ride and that includes the two Zx1400Rs.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Glen....loved the video and you did one of the things on my bucket list. I would not trust myself on anything larger than my Thruxton R but would probably be safer on my Royal Enfield Classic Chrome. We're you leathers the red and white ones?

·
Registered
980 Posts
Yes, thats me in the old Suzuki leathers.

At one point I was with a fast group and then we came upon a crash. The bike was in two pieces and the riders body was about 75 feet away, not moving.
Everyone slowed right down but we had been instructed not to stop to help, they had crews and a chopper for that. In all they airlifted 3 riders to hospital just for the parade lap!
All survived, but there have been a lot of deaths on the course.

Glen

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Yes, thats me in the old Suzuki leathers.

At one point I was with a fast group and then we came upon a crash. The bike was in two pieces and the riders body was about 75 feet away, not moving.
Everyone slowed right down but we had been instructed not to stop to help, they had crews and a chopper for that. In all they airlifted 3 riders to hospital just for the parade lap!
All survived, but there have been a lot of deaths on the course.

Glen
They have an extraordinary number of deaths at the Isle of Man. Bonneville has a high number of deaths but only in the relationship to distance traveled since we only go three to seven miles on runs and don't hit trees, stone walls, or tumble down mountains when we do crash. The salt looks like a walk in the park compared to what you did.

Although Guy Martin looked more comfortable at the Isle of Man than he looked in the seat of Triumph streamliner a couple years ago.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Coming off at 140 or 190 on the Salt wouldn't be fun.
I'd like to try Bonneville one day, but the potential for long term salt damage to the bike seems quite great.
One of the Norton site members has done a lot of land speed racing over the years.
He tries to clean the salt away completely afterward but often finds salt damage from missed crud years on.

Are you able to eliminate that problem thru thorough cleaning?

Glen

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Glen. I treat the bike with ACF before leaving and clean the bikes after each run. I have the electricals taped up and use screens over radiator and or oil coolers. When I get home I immediately clean the bike and then examine the bike as I go back to make it street legal and clean and wax again. My Thruxton R looks show room clean despite being on the salt twice and my 900 looks really good too and it has been out on the salt three times.

I can usually find salt on the bike somewhere up to six months after running. I carefully go over the bikes each week to find any thing that remains.

If you don't do follow this process then there will be problems otherwise the bikes don't suffer. I do crawl over and under my bikes looking for anything about once a week.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I'm not a fan either of wearing a "German Uboat periscope" (LMAO, @SirCuffsalot you killed me on that post). However I guess I can understand those who actually enjoy making movies, as a hobby or whatever.

Nevertheless, I do find people who wear GoPros quite useful. I have a friend who does it systematically and he later shares the segments when I was riding in front of him - its great feedback for my mistakes and bad riding habits!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
In case you all haven't seen this...

Thanks

We were out there for a day with them when they shot some of the footage for the Triumph streamliner. Guy Martin seemed like a good guy as well as being very talented. However, the support team failed to solve root causes of issues before putting guy back in the seat. I did hear Triumph won't be back to Bonneville but plan on going to Boliva? Salt Flats next year.

Good lesson for Triumph is to quit bragging until they actually beat the record.... Racers aren't taking them seriously anymore.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Good lesson for Triumph is to quit bragging until they actually beat the record.... Racers aren't taking them seriously anymore.
Agreed. I followed their story on instagram. I was pretty excited at the attempt but didn't know the true outcome. It sure did seem like they beat it. And honestly, I think he could've. Speed with Guy Martin is a great show. Most episodes are on youtube. I think my favorite episode is him racing the Pike's Peak hill climb on a home built motorcycle.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Agreed. I followed their story on instagram. I was pretty excited at the attempt but didn't know the true outcome. It sure did seem like they beat it. And honestly, I think he could've. Speed with Guy Martin is a great show. Most episodes are on youtube. I think my favorite episode is him racing the Pike's Peak hill climb on a home built motorcycle.
Triumph put Guy in a difficult position, he didn't get enough seat time before he had to push the envelope. Triumph was trying to put 1000 horsepower down on salt that wasn't capable of handling it in 2016. The record holder didn't even get their streamliner off the trailer because they knew no records would be set that week.

I believe Triumph got about 274 MPH which is over 102 MPH short of the record. Putting that in prospective I was closer at 197 mph (about 78 mph short) to Triumphs speed than Triumph speed was to the record (376 MPH) that same year (2016).

21 - 37 of 37 Posts