Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was a really interesting year. We watched several very important elections, the economy gave a collective '***', I met several Trat members for the first time, I got a third dog :)rolleyes:), and had an excellent year in the gym. And of course, there were some important changes here at TriumphRAT.net.

Any last remarks about 2008? The remark I'd most like to make is that you all did me proud in the reasonable, polite, and well-thought-out discussions we had during the silly season of US politics. You all deserve a pat on the back for that.

Be careful tomorrow night, everyone, and keep the rubber down in 2009.

HiDesert

·
Premium Member
14,085 Posts
Be careful tomorrow night, everyone, and keep the rubber down in 2009.

HiDesert

Of course for some tomorrow night is already here, we're less than 8 hours to 2009. I'll let you know if it's any good, then you can decide whether to ignore it or stay in 2008 !

--------------
Ride on ! ;)

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
2008 was an epic year. I met new friends via this forum, some face-to-face. Traveled more on a bike than I had ever before, but the experiences only make me want more. Grandfatherhood looms in the very near future. Have a new dog (Beau, a miniature schnauzer with terrorist tendencies) after losing one of my best friend's (Olga, my still missed miniature schnauzer).

On the world scene, weather seemed to share the limelight with most other high profile news stories. I think it will continue to be a player in ways we will collectively never see.

As far as timely advice, I noticed the roads were slippery yesterday from the generous application of salt sand by road crews. Made the few corners and all the intersections all the more interesting. When we can ride again, check the road surfaces.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Getting back on two wheels for the first time in three years was the highlight of my year. Other than that things pretty much sucked !

·
29,948 Posts
Riding lots more than ever before, and getting a new cat.

There was some other stuff but I've forgotten it.

In all seriousness, the clicking over to a new calendar year has absolutely no meaning to me. It is an arbitrary time stamp as far as I'm concerned. I don't need the changing of the calendar year to help me decide that I need to change things or do new things or invoke resolutions - if I feel I need to change something, then I shall do it, whatever the time of year.

But if you're into the whole new years thing - enjoy, have fun and be safe!

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts
To sum up 2008 for me: son-in-law got back from Iraq in one piece, I found a great website (this one), didn't lose job, house, wife, or mind(maybe), rode bikes, drank beer- sometimes whiskey, did not wreck bike, had a great vacation-southern Utah National parks and Grand Canyon, went to grand prix- Indy, read every damn motorcycle magazine with anything Triumph in it, did not get sick, got a brand new Triumph- Tiger 1050, and any year with all this going on does not suck, in spite of the recession. Next year? The adventure continues. Good luck to everyone!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Interesting year

Daughter number 2 gave birth to my first grandchild.

Daughter Number 1 met an Australian , married the Australian and moved to Perth Australia. And will be having my Australian/American/Southern Redneck grandchild in June. Hope to visit this summer. Anyplace to rent bikes in Perth ?????

My son in law got me to try Vegemite, My revenge was making him try Livermush. I'd call it a draw

ONly put about 3000 miles on the bike, I'll try to do better this year

·
Registered
238 Posts
Final Thoughts on 2008

Had somewhat of a good year in 2008. Thanks to the members of the Charlotte RAT's we had some adventures over the past year that were alot of fun (1300 miles at Mid-Ohio, British in the Blue Ridge in Hiawassie, GA.) Lots of local rides, and mountain trips up 181 to Jonas Ridge.

And then there are you guys and gals out there. I am really grateful uncle Nort's son-in-law made it back from Iraq. Sometimes when you read all the posts one just sticks out, Uncle Nort, tell your son-in-law that I am grateful for his service, and that I am deeply happy that he made it home. So many don't.

Thanks to all of you characters out there, you make checking the web site daily fun.

As for 2009, I guess I'll find out about 14 hours from now when I get up, ride to the shop in Charlotte for the annual "Frozen Bum Run". The hard part will be getting out of the driveway without my glasses fogging up , since it will be around 24 degrees F. After that, it's all good.

Take care, here's to another great year.

oldsprint03
03 955 Caspian Blue ( the best color)

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
Well DD we're now 9 hours into the 1st January 2009, and it's 24c, blue skies, sunny with a light sea breeze, you just got your wish !

.....thanks ! :D

---------------
Ride on ! :)
Since you are in the future, can you please get me the winning lotto numbers for tonight and I will share it with you 50/50?
It is still 2008 here in BC Canada AND I still have time to get the tickets for tonight.

The highs of 2008:
Getting a new kitty (OK he's 5)
Getting the Norton on the road after 3 years of sweat, blood and dwindling bank accounts.
Lots of good rides and time with friends near and far.
Going back to school to become a nurse.
No more making aliving with wrenches.
No more dirty, hellishly hot dirty work environment.
More severance that I thought I was going to get.

The Lows of 2008:
Losing my job!
New kitty attacking my leather couch.
Dictator PM Stephen Harper acting like a.....dictator.
Wife losing her appendix (she's AOK)
A death in the family and possible estate fight.

Good riddance 2008, I hope 2009 doesn't suck as bad and I hope I get my funding for school.

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Good and Bad for me over the past year. I had tried to relocate to NJ but the house in Maine did not sell. That was the bad. I had hope to remain in NJ to be near my family and friends.

The good ...... I was offered and accepted a great job back in Maine and although I have only been at it for a few weeks it is going great.

Goals for the upcoming year is to have half as good a year in the Gym as Hide. To go on many rides with in the state of Maine and Quebec, with my Mrs.

I wish you all a great 2009....be safe and healthy. Lee:D

·
29,948 Posts
I'm hoping to go visit my folks in the UK in 2009 anyway, that's something to look forward to. Maybe take ina harlequins game as well if I can work it in, and also the Chelmsford beer festival. We shall see.

·
Premium Member
14,085 Posts
Since you are in the future, can you please get me the winning lotto numbers for tonight and I will share it with you 50/50?
It is still 2008 here in BC Canada AND I still have time to get the tickets for tonight.............
Unfortunately I've just seen your post, and only 20 minutes left of New Year's Day here, but I can say it got upto 28c and was a perfect day. Hopefully many more will follow !

--------------

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
Unfortunately I've just seen your post, and only 20 minutes left of New Year's Day here, but I can say it got upto 28c and was a perfect day. Hopefully many more will follow !

--------------

It is -5C, snowing (it is up to my knees already) and dark. Have a ride for all of us snowed in on the first day of 2009, ok?

We will better coordinate our Lotto-busting plan for 2010......

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
The Good

Everyday you wake up is good. And even better if it's a day you get to ride.

The bad

Business is really bad. Am worried if we will make it through 2009.

2009, hope it's better than the last 6 months of 2008

1 - 20 of 21 Posts