Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1966 TR6 650cc w/ bonneville head and dual carbs..........finished restoring it last fall and rode it some....(started first or second kick every time and ran like a charm)

kept it on trickle charger over the winter, and started it up every few weeks when weather permitted..got it out this spring and rode it a few times (again fired right up first or second kick)

NOW....it's been sitting for 4-5 months without firing it up, i get it out, and can't even get the dang thing to fire! gas has been in there about a year, but can't imagine it is bad already.....i know i'm getting fuel because when i tickle carb fuel flows out like usual...i pulled plugs and checked for fire.....both plugs fire (alternating strokes) but not sure if fire is very strong (not exactly sure how that spark should look, but i'm getting slight/medium blue spark. i wouldn't see how timing could have changed.......ANY IDEAS?? thanks guys.....Rick........ click on link to see vid shot last fall......

·
Registered
60 Posts
Clean the carbs with ethanol that fuel is most certainly bad. And as all ready said fresh fuel. You got spark you have air all your missing is fuel. You could always pull the air filter open the throttle and spray in a little gas and I bet it least fires a little. Then you will know for sure.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Cheap trick: Give the carbs a quick squirt of Gum-Out carb cleaner........if it's going to fire up, it'll do it on that stuff. Much safer than with ether.

Has always worked for the "village idiot": Jim

·
Registered
386 Posts
unsrew the mixture screw all the way out and insert carb cleaner straw in there and give it a couple of blast. Then poke a small guitar string in the pilot jet a few times, then give it another blast of carb cleaner. Then screw the mixture screw in and back it off a turn and a half and it will probably start right up

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all the responses so far.......i did go ahead and dump all gas out of gas tank, and put in fresh....i also pulled banjo (inlet) fittings and cleaned the little screens (they didn't really need it) and i dropped the bowls on both carbs and got rid of the gas in the carbs......

tried to fire it up.....this time it IS firing, although half the time it kicks back at me about half way through the kick....only once did it run, but only for a second or two.(then i got tired of kicking, too old for this chit) LOL

i will pull the mixture screws out and give a blast of carb cleaner in there....where is the pilot jet located? ( new amal 930 carbs)

thanks for the help...Rick

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
Pull out the mixture screws.If you push a wire,no bigger than 0.016" diameter into the hole it should go at least 1-1/2" into the carb body if the pilot jet is not blocked.

If it still doesn't start,clean the points with emery paper (if you're lucky enough to still have points).

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yep, still have dual points.....look to have quite a bit of life left to them too! i'll clean them up tonight, and pull the mixture screw and make sure pilots jets are clean and open. thanks for the help Pete....i take it you are not too fond of the newer electronic ignition set ups? why is that? Rick

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
I guess by the comments so far, it's pretty apparent that fuel in the float bowl does not necessarily mean fuel into the engine.

I never noticed any mention of the condition of the plugs. Are they wet? If you are tickling or choking the carbs and it is not firing, I would expect the plugs to be wet. If they are dry, it's pretty clear that you are not getting fuel.

If they are wet, then you might not be getting adequate spark.

If you have a set of new plugs, it would not hurt to put those in and see if it does not make a difference.

regards,
Rob

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
thanks for the help Pete....i take it you are not too fond of the newer electronic ignition set ups? why is that? Rick
Nothing to gain performance-wise with E.I.More reliability and less chance of walking home with points.They'll start with a flat battery.If one coil or condensor fails,you still get home (at less than 60 mph).

6CA or later points plate and condensors mounted near coils is hard to beat.You need the 160 degree dwell AAU ('67 and later).That's about as good as it gets.

The time you save not setting points and timing with E.I. will be spent replacing batteries,fitting rectifier/regulators (550 hours expected life),and fixing other minor electrical details that may not affect points.The standard rectifier and zener will work OK with points.

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
Don’t over look those plugs. I’ve read articles that say spark plugs manufactured today are not meant to get wet and if they do, they become ruined and can’t be just cleaned and reinstalled like in the days of old. Don’t go by what they look like, just replace them.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
UPDATE....over the last couple of evenings i have emptied old gas out of tank (via petcocks with hoses, solid stream of fuel out of each one, not gushing out, but 1/4" hose ran full solid stream. pulled bowls and cleaned out old fuel on carbs, and cleaned inlet screens on carbs...pulled out fuel mixture screws and blasted inside to pilot jet on both carbs, then used a .018" wire to clear the pilot jets, initially wire would only go in about 1", but kept hitting it with carb cleaner and working the wire, eventually both sides allowed wire to go in a little over 1 1/2" (never forced the wire, in fact it wasn't real stiff)

then i went ahead and took the time to pull points cover off and uses small emery board to clean points since i had never done that....

ok, NOW it fires up on first or second kick, but ONLY when i tickle it once or twice, and runs for a second or two, then dead....it continues to do this exact same thing over and over which tells me it quickly burns off fuel provided by the ticklers, but i am not getting additional fuel.....(at least that is my analysis, LOL) ANY MORE IDEAS??? thanks again all, Rick

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
Let's hope that wire was only 0.016" diameter;not 0.018"
0.018" wire would enlarge the jet from a 20 to a 25 (slightly richer off idle to about 1/8 throttle).

The 2 idle discharge holes near the front lower edge of the slide could be blocked.If you squirt WD-40 into the idle air bleed (the one at the side of the carb mouth),you should see it squirt out of the idle discharge holes.

If the mixture screws are screwed right in,the WD-40 won't get through.

I assume the main jet and needle jet are clear.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
well Pete, this little piece of copper wire measured .018" with my calipers. but it was very soft and would just bend when it met any resistance, so i just kept blasting the pilot jet with carb cleaner until it finally slid in just over 1 1/2"....i can't imagine that it bored the jet out, since it was not a rigid wire or bit.

can i assume that i will have to take the carb apart to perform the rest of what you suggested? pull the slide out? i'm not real familiar with the carbs.....where is main jet, and how do you get to it? idle discharge holes?? idle air bleed? needle jet? sorry for my ignorance, i have done most of the work on this bike, but have never messed with the carbs much....as always, thanks so much for your help, you have always been generous with your knowledge and i appreciate it, Rick

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
If you take out the slide,you should see the 2 holes either side of the front edge of the slide.If you took the carb off,you could clean them if necessary.

Take off the air filter and you see 2 holes at the carb mouth.The one on the side is idle air.

You can get to the main jet if you take out the drain plug.It will have a hole through it approx 1.3 mm diameter.That should be clear.

The 0.035" cross-drilled holes in the needle-jet could possibly be blocked,but not likely.That would richen the needle-jet mixture,and you're not running rich.The needle-jet is on the other side of the jet holder above the main jet.You'd need to remove the float bowl if you check the needle-jet thoroughly.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok Mr. Pete.....that helps a bunch, i think when i get time this week i will just pull both carbs and check everything you just mentioned...thanks again! i'll let ya know when i get it back together, Rick

·
Registered
378 Posts
A side note...I have had great luck in fuel storage with Seafoam...I used to use STABIL, but have had great results with the Seafoam...used in a stand by generator that only runs a few minutes a year and it kicked off like a champ with last year's gas when I did the maintenance. Used this last winter/spring in my T120 and no issues on start up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts