Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Well, the previous owner of my S4 laid it down and ruined the air intake tube or "snorkel" on the left side. The colored piece was destroyed but the inner tube is okay.
I don't want to buy a new piece because it is expensive AND I'm not crazy about the way they look either. They stick out too far and are the one piece I don't like about the S4.

I wonder if any of you have made a custom replacement for the snorkels?

Any ideas or pictures???
Anyone need a good neon blue right snorkel?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seemed like a little bit of a grille would keep the bugs out though. And sometimes a little clever fabricating can make things look unique and more appealing.
But yeah, I might just go with them off too if it doesn't hurt anything.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've had mine off and have been trying to think of something to do as well. I would like something that doesnt look completely cheap or home made. So far nothing comes to mind though, haha.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I guess I'll just go with them off, but it would have been neat if someone had an aftermarket part or some easy fix to show. I have limited fabrication skills (and creativity) so it is a difficult task to make something to fit the bill.
If I ever come up with something maybe I will post it...

·
Super Moderator
8,844 Posts
Tentacles. It takes the whole squid concept to a new level. You can latch onto your buddy's R1 and he'll never be able to figure out how you keep up with him so easily. I'm sure it would work. :p

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
I'd go with pvc and a sock. :p

Although there is no harmful effect of having the snorkels off, it does defeat the purpose of the ram air intake system. Without a tube to help guide and force the fresh air into the airbox, the air will beat against the frame and eventually, after bouncing off the frame and itself, find its way into the airbox. So performance wise, the ram air setup is better. I'm not too sure a rider would be able to tell much of a difference, but I'm sure a flow chart would. For what it is worth, I don't see how having the huge holes in the chassis visible is any better looking than the snorkels.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just as a side note, on my speed four I have always has problems with aftermarket exhausts and the dreaded 3k stutter! however ive just taken of the snorkels and well blow me down, when the engine is warmed up not a trace of the stutter! maybe worth a try if your having problems!

Pierre

:D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have been running with them off for a while now and like you guys said I have not noticed anything different about how it runs. The pictures of the green bike were interesting, neat bike.
I took the airbox out and noticed that the filter is situated up top and there is a lower part that would hold any debris that may get in there and not necessarily clog the filter. That too puts me at ease that I will not choke the thing up.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have taken only one picture with the snorks off. I like the way it looks. I would have left them on though if they werent trashed on one side.
(Yes I know my bars look high, but it is sooo comfortable to ride.)

Attachments

·
Registered
575 Posts
You are going to need a big ass Q-tip for that sucker :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have taken only one picture with the snorks off. I like the way it looks. I would have left them on though if they werent trashed on one side.
(Yes I know my bars look high, but it is sooo comfortable to ride.)
sorry but that looks like a crashed TT to me, I don't mind the "Horns" at all.

Cheers Mark.

·
Registered
61 Posts
You could try metal rendering mesh, saw it on a building thought that it could be shaped for a radiator guard on my D675, be easier on snorkel intake.

Local builders merchants should stock it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts