Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have ridden for 35+ years and unfortunately Harley's until I test rode a 2005 Goldwing. I bought the Wing and sold the Screaming Eagle Electra Glide and have never been happier. now going on 4 years. The Wing is impressive in the twisties on the highway and in town. If you were or still are a GL1800 owner and have a Rocket III, give me your comparison between the two. Thanks

·
Registered
648 Posts
I purchased my GL1800 new in 2003 and now have 35,000+ miles on it.
Over-all, it's the finest motorcycle I've ever owned.
I bought a new 2007 Rocket III in 4/07 and now have ridden it a little over 6,000 miles.
For me, the Rocket is more fun to ride, just because of it's tremendous torque and horsepower.
Since replacing the Rocket's stock (stiff) rear shocks with Progressive Suspension 440 rear shocks (-1" length), my wife and I find the Rocket actually rides nicer than the 'Wing. Not that the 'Wing rides harshly, the Rocket just rides better.
Over-all, from a maximum comfort standpoint the Goldwing beats out the Rocket and extras like it's full fairing (to keep legs warm), excellent intercom, radio, large windscreen, etc. add to this. I also really appreciate all the lights on the back at night.
When it comes to handling, both bikes do a great job. The 'Wing handles quick transitions a bit better but the Rocket offers more ground clearance. Both bikes are surprisingly nimble, especially for their size.
If I had to choose between them, I'd keep the 'Wing just because it does everything so well although the power of the Rocket is very addicting :cool:.
I'm glad I don't have to make that decision ;)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I almost bought a Rocket III as a second bike but I ended up with a new T100 Bonneville. At the time I didn't want two big bikes. I may try and find a good used Rocket and keep the Wing. Thanks for your information.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Goldwing to Harley to Valkyrie to Rocket 3 Touring

The last Goldwing I owned was a 95 model. I then bought a Harley and was very disappointed in handling, power, and trips to the mecahnic. I then traded for a Valkyrie which I felt was the best all around bike ever. I bought my Rocket 3 touring last March and except for wearing out the rear tire so quickly I have been really pleased. This bike is made for taller bigger riders and it fits me better than any bike previous. I was going to buy the the Goldwing 1800 but after a test ride that put a cramp in my leg(they moved the rider position forward) I fell in love with the Rocket. It has 5100 miles on it and I haven't had any issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts