Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased an '09 T100. Would love to connect with other folks from Vancouver Island.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hey Dave
I'm the Island RAT Pack Leader. Send me an email to [email protected] with your name, bike and home town and I'll put you on the members list. Some good trips coming up this summer, check out www.islandrat.org. The Kootenay RAID in Nelson is July 16-19, if you want a longer ride now. More information at www.i90rat.com. Too late to send in a registration, but you can sign up in Nelson!

vern . . .

I just purchased an '09 T100. Would love to connect with other folks from Vancouver Island.

·
Premium Member
8,400 Posts
I will be traveling there this August. I will have to stop in to Wheelies :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Went with my wife and two friends this afternoon, what a great place! Minimal seating but lots of bar/counter space. Huge parking lot out front, be great for a bike night if they stayed open in the evenings. Food was excellent (pork sandwich, awesome) and prices really reasonable.

I really hope the place makes it... I'll be doing my part to make sure it does. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wish that had been there back when I lived in Victoria! These days I have to endure the weather conditions over here in Brisbane Australia... how much sun can one take??!! ?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I know of a few guys that meet every Wed eve downtown Vic, Douglas to Blanchard, Yates to Fort, but they're on Nortons and kind of weird (musicians), and they have parking, though vintage Triumph might get you in if you can sing. (Not kidding). You might get beat up otherwise (kidding, but keep your helmet on or ride a Norton). Blues. Sing your lungs out anything (They're musicians)!

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Hello Islanders - I'm lined up to do the VISC motorcycle training school in the next few months - it's going to be a long wait. I have my eye on a Bonneville T100 (09 or later) Moving out to the island it seems like an ideal place to ride a bike.

I'll be checking out Wheelies - seems like a cool retro vibe & is still going.

DavidR8 I'd be interested in hearing your experiences with your 09 Bonnie?

Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi Steve,
Where are you moving to? I'm in Comox. There are few places I've seen around here that are not ideally suited to riding unless you have to be somewhere and/or sometime... The East coast "scenic" "old island highway" 99A is a great cruise North/South starting North of Nanaimo, (South of Nanaimo, 99 and 99A are the same road). Follow it North to Gold River, you've got some great speed carving with no traffic. The 4A West from Parksville/Qualicum opens up the West coast and it's a great lakeside curvy stomp through Cathedral Grove and Port Alberni. There are great pubs and restaurants plotted out everywhere you want to go. There are some risky paved mountain roads too and lots of farm country exploring everywhere. Bonnie will be happy here. We do a campout mid August every year near Qualicum. It's the "Gathering of the Cams", or a "Smattering of the Yams", or "The Isle of Spam" or something.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTnt13DcgxE

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Hey waspfarmer - I'm based down in North Saanich near YYJ. We've skied up at Mt Washington - so have a bit of exposure to the Comox area- definitely some nice riding opportunities as you mention. If I can fit my fly wishing gear on the back of a Bonnie - then I am set.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Well - finally getting there. Did the Novice course at VISC and passed the skills test. Now I can ride a bike with minimal restrictions.

Signed up for the Traffic Course and my Road Test - should be good by the end of the month. Now I just have to find a T100 or Scrambler and I will be good to go.

Any opinions on the ideal Triumph for a first time rider? If I can't find a Bonnie - would a Tiger be too much bike for a first timer?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sounds great Fly. It's all about what you expect from any machine. Any certified course of merit supplies a bike. Where are you?

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
I am taking the 2 day traffic course next week (2 days of riding around Victoria) and then sitting the Road test the following week.

There seemed like an ample supply of used Bonnies over the Winter - now they seem to have dried up. Guess I'll have to be patient. Not sure when you actually access to the classifieds on this website either :)

Live up near Victoria airport.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Well - finally I got my MC License... and a Triumph Bonneville T100. Any of the Islanders want to get together for a lunch at Wheelies in Victoria?

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
HI All,
Looks like Flying Celt & I will be meeting up Sunday, June 28th once I get off the ferry and make my way towards Victoria. Hope to do a Wheelies visit (maybe I can get them to fix my rear brake squeal!?!).
I am interested in doing the East Sooke Loop ride on Sunday...maybe the Port Renfrew/Cowichan ride Monday on my way over the Tofino for two nights.

Please let me know if you'd like to meet up! Like FC, I'm a new rider (since April) and have a T100 (Steve McQueen SE).

Mike.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Any one going to Bike Night at Island BMW on Wednesday? Sounds like a neat event honouring Steve Drane's retirement.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
I just went to a Bike Night put on by my riding school 1st Gear, in Richmond lastnight. Was pretty cool to hang out with 80 or so fellow alumni...none of which were in my actual class.
The SMQ generated much interest...amongst all the sport bikes!

Met the only other Triumph classic owner there...a petite girl with a brand new SE. Also a new rider...so now I know both oversize and undersize new Bonneville riders ;-)

1 - 20 of 74 Posts