Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last 30 years or so I have kept my high beam on during daytime riding as a way to increase my visibility to car and truck drivers. But after my wife harrangued me about how annoying she found it to have a motorcycle riding behind her car with its high beam on, I am thinking of switching to using the low beam, but with a headlight modulator. But then my wife said that when she sees a modulating headlight coming toward her it causes her to almost fixate on it, so I wondered if using this device might actually end up making me more, rather than less likely to get hit by a car. Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
42 Posts
With more and more cars having daytime running lights, I think just having highbeams on doesn't cut it anymore.

I've been using a headlight modulator for almost a 6 months now and love it. It is annoying, but definitely gets you noticed. The only close calls I've had recently are when the modulator was off because there wasn't enough daylight early in the morning or late afternoon.

Knowing how annoying it is, I do turn the modulator off if I'm at a stop light for a while or can't pass a cager for whatever reason.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Any thoughts on this?
Vito, I do understand the desire to be seen when on a motorcycle. I tend to agree with your wife.
From a car drivers point of view I do not like the high beam use during the day. Not so much on the highway but in traffic and at lights. It can be very annoying having someone in front approaching or behind me shining their high beams in my mirrors. Not as bad when I am on my motorcycle and another cycle pulls up behind me as I can move the bars to deflect direct reflections. The headlight modulators are effective but I find them even more annoying. I associate the flashing light with emergency vehicles. I have met a group of bikes with several running the modulators and it can be very distracting. I have also seen this discussed on ADVrider. Some have been the victim of "target fixation" and almost run off the road by on coming drivers.
I modified my front & rear turn signals. They have dual filament lamps for running lights and turn signals. This helps but I do feel that several drivers simply "Don't See Me". I also wear a high-vis mesh jacket most of the time. When it's cold and have the heavy leather jacket on I will wear a reflective vest in the morning and at night.
Interested to read what others will have to say.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I've been using the Kissan modulator since 2005. In my training class it was suggested. The instructors said, for a single headlight, use a modulator, or if you have a lightbar (3 lights), then you don't need a modulator.

I'm in Canada, where daytime running lights are required, and motorcycles just blend in too much with vehicles. A m/c isn't even visible until they are much closer to you in traffic. I've witnessed this myself.

So, I use a modulator on my wife's bike, and use my lightbar on my bike. They are both very effective, and both setups have saved me more than once.

While many people on forums say that modulators are annoying, I have yet to experience that. I've had driver's give me a thumbs up for having one. There is NO way you can disappear while using a modulator.

I don't use the modulator if riding in a group (there is a light sensor and will turn off when put on low beam). I also used to ride with high beams on until I got the modulator. The high beam thing was probably most annoying for drivers.

So, yeah, I'm one of those safety geeks. I have a white helmet with some 3M high vis tape and wear an Icon his-visibility vest when dark out. I rely on nobody to see me, and I feel I mitigate risks by how I ride and what I can do for others to see me.

I also have a brake light modulator from Adventuretech (see the video in the link below).

http://www.adventuretech.ca/

I have an LED light strip on my license plate frame that only comes on when my brake lights are activated. Traffic is VERY aware that I'm slowing down or braking. Having been rear ended at 70 km/h (45 MPH) once before, nobody can say they didn't see me brake now. I was taught to flash my brake lights as I'm slowing or braking to catch the eye of those behind you. In a quick brake situation, you just can't do that. The flashing pulses make those behind you aware of what you're doing very quickly.

In my experience, this is the way to go, and it works for me.

H.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I also have a brake light modulator from Adventuretech (see the video in the link below).

http://www.adventuretech.ca/

I have an LED light strip on my license plate frame that only comes on when my brake lights are activated. Traffic is VERY aware that I'm slowing down or braking. Having been rear ended at 70 km/h (45 MPH) once before, nobody can say they didn't see me brake now. I was taught to flash my brake lights as I'm slowing or braking to catch the eye of those behind you. In a quick brake situation, you just can't do that. The flashing pulses make those behind you aware of what you're doing very quickly.

In my experience, this is the way to go, and it works for me.

H.
Went to the web page and they don't have a light for the America and Speedmaster. But the contact say that 10 request and they will begin development for that bike. So, can I encourage my fellow riders to send in a request.

http://www.adventuretech.ca/index.php?p=contact

·
Registered
590 Posts
Or you can use a separate LED light(s) like I've done here:

The LED strip pulses, just like in the video. I have my brake light working stock. The Adventuretech modulator will not work with an incandescent bulb.

HTH,

H.

·
Registered
113 Posts
This is what I did to the back of my bike

Everyone I ride with say it is very bright it has both stop and turn LEDs as well as another set of LEDs on the rear pegs best 40 bucks I ever spent

The front has small leds tucked into the fairing I'll add the led strips this winter

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

Attachments

·
Registered
590 Posts
Adventuretech actually make a stand alone unit, and a replacement for the tail light. I have the stand alone unit. This is why I made the comment for LEDs only, and that's one reason why I have the LED lightbar on the license plate frame.

This is the module in the license plate bracket...

H.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Adventuretech actually make a stand alone unit, and a replacement for the tail light. I have the stand alone unit. This is why I made the comment for LEDs only, and that's one reason why I have the LED lightbar on the license plate frame.

This is the module in the license plate bracket...

H.
At present, they do not make a unit that upgrades the taillight for Triumph. No manufacture makes a LED taillight for Triumphs. I am interested in a taillight upgrade not a patch work alternative.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Uck I can't stand those things. they're illegal here in nh. technicaly a white emergency light. I find them horribly distracting to everyone. the blinky taillights are too.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Although I have used the hi-beam in the daytime for most of the last 25 or so years, to increase visibility, I went ahead and got a modulated headlight. And so far, not a single time has a car turned left in front of me! Seriously, I am not sure which is more annoying to the cars or bikes riding in front of a bike, a high beam headlight or the flashing of a modulated light. But for me it became more obvious over time that a modulated headlight clearly caught my attention much more than a bike with its high beams on, so I took the plunge. Only time will tell if this change was worth the cost of doing this.

·
Premium Member
5,053 Posts
At the risk of raising a zombie thread (it is the most recent discussion I could find on the forum about modulators) I'm curious if any one has installed a modulator with something other a passive control. Such as momentary contact switch that activates it when the rider want's to be noticed. I don't think I would want to ride with it on all the time but may want to power it up when there is intersection traffic or when approaching someone waiting to make a left turn.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It wouldn't do much good if you had to decide when to turn it on or off. Mine is on all of the time, but if it gets dark out the sensor shuts the modulator. If I switch from high beam to low beam, the modulator does not operate. I'm sure it is annoying to car drivers when I am behind them with the modulator flashing the light on and off, but I am sure that they know I am there, and vehicles in front of me can hardly miss me coming. I feel it has made my daytime riding much, much safer.

·
Premium Member
5,053 Posts
I'm in the habit of flashing "passing light" with the handlebar switch on the left side of my Bonneville but it isn't as convincing as a modulated light. The modulated lights are hard to miss for sure, I just don't see the need to pester everyone with it all the time.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Uck I can't stand those things. they're illegal here in nh. technicaly a white emergency light. I find them horribly distracting to everyone. the blinky taillights are too.
Just an FYI. Modulators can not be deemed illegal in any state.

FMVSS 108 (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) (49 CFR Part 571.108 S7.9.4) allows motorcycle headlight modulation systems in all 50 states provided they comply with the standards set forth in this section.

Title 49 USC 30103(b1) (US Codes) prohibits any state from forbidding a system that conforms to FMVSS 108.

If you have a headlight modulator installed, it is highly recommended that you carry a copy of the above US Regulations on the bike. Some cops like to make up their own "laws". (yes, been there, done that) It's a major aggravation to have to go to court to prove the cop is lying.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts