Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have a 2005 Triumph Sprint ST, which I purchased in Canada before I moved out to LA.

As some of you who live in Cali know, its a B!TCH to get the bike registered here! I brought it to the DMV, but because it doesnt have any US Federal DOT stickers or labels, they wouldnt accept it and now I have to bring it to the CHP for an inspection. :mad:

Now before I do so, does anyone know if there are any differences between Canadian, US and California Sprints? Emissions wise, like catalytic converters and other crap?

I'm thinking before I go, maybe I should get these parts from ebay or something.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I no longer have a Sprint manual to check but on other Triumphs the manual shows additional "plumbing" relating to the emmision control for Californian bikes but all other markets are the same. There may also be a different tune foe California. Should not be too difficult to do the neccessary mods but as for inspection?

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I'd check with your local California Triumph dealer. They should have a handle on what you need to do.
My guess is there all the same.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, I see online theres a california spec charcoal canister assembly. Hmm....

Isnt my bike exempt because its over 7500 miles? This stuff is so confusing. I thought Quebec was bad! :lol:

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
I think you will find the California Highway Patrol a lot more accommodating than the DMV.
Why don't you just go to your inspection and see exactly what is needed to bring the bike into compliance????? The missing DOT stickers(this is a federal problem, not a CA. problem) might screw things!!
Or maybe the damn thing might be fine just the way it is. Again, only one way to find out and that's from first hand information.

And yes, there is a milage limit that a used vehicle must have on it to be eligible to be registered in CA. This was done to protect the dealers!
Importing a vehicle from out of the country, might be another whole ball of wax!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts