Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am wondering if anyone commutes here? i am sure some do but i am looking for a bike that will do 20k per year with no problems. is the st the bike? i am hoping so because i like the whole package from the outside. i am an all weather rider in the sf bay area. so i split lane through the angry car drivers into the city every day. also what kind of mpg does this bike get? any used years to avoid?

thanks

d

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
I commute on my '04 RS, or I did when I still had a job. :p

Mileage in city traffic is awful, but that's what happens when you run your motor at stoplights. I got about 25MPG before I started playing with the TuneBoy, closer to 20 after.

I'm an all but snow & ice rider in NYC. The 2 major failures I've had were unrelated to mileage. I replaced the motor at 24k miles due to an object on the road tearing a hole in the sump, and I replace the swingarm at 32k due to the threads in the eccentric clamp stripping. I believe the original owner probably damaged those threads, as they've been an issue for me before & there was something weird about them when they stripped, almost as if they were made of JB Weld.

I can see that, on paper, a Kawasaki Versys or something like that is probably a better city bike. I don't care. I'll keep my Sprint.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
938 Posts
I do about 50,000 km per year commuting. I refuse to use public transport. I've been doing it for about 22 years. If you want to use a bike the Triumph Sprint will do it, and do it well, but expect to go through back tyres every few months. I used my wife's ZZR250 for a few months and found it much less burdonsome in traffic, but on the fast bits it was hopeless. Eventually I got sick of wearing out my bikes doing the freeway everyday so I use the cage now. If you commute for long enough I think you will come to do the same. Save yourself a lifetime of pain - get accomodation close to work.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I commute every day, but I only live two miles to work. I try to find the most creative routes that I can. :D After work
I pick up my kid and take him to aikido three days a week and that's a 45 mile trek.

Ive had no problems with my 05 ST.

Tim :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I used my 00 ST to commute when I lived in the Seattle area, not a great place to ride but better than driving. I did 70-120 miles every day, most of them very cold and soaking wet. No trouble but if your in tight city conditions I would suggest looking into a 17t front sprocket.

I kept the 19t, sucky in the city but every chance I got I bolted away from the city and did tons of hiway and open roads for sanity reasons so a payoff I accepted. Its reliable and pretty torquey, reasonably light and very comfortable. I would fully reccomend this as a good choice to commute and do whatever else you might need it to do.

Tony

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
I commute almost every day on the bike about 15 miles. Even living in Maine, I think the longest I've gone without riding is two weeks.
Fuel mileage in traffic does suck, but it's still twice what the car gets! :D

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I used to commute to my office when it was about 5 miles from home. I now have a very nice home office, and I'm having a hell of a time getting the ST back up the stairs.....

denoose

·
Registered
151 Posts
I commute about 60 miles r/t, probably 2 or 3 days a week on average. I use the tank bag most of the time for laptop, etc. and go without hard bags unless I need the space.

With 42K miles, it has never stranded me or even pretended like it wanted to. I've replaced one chain/sprocket at 36K. One new battery about a year ago. It just required a seal up at one of the spark plugs but the replacement charge was fairly trivial. The leak was so small I had not even noticed but they saw it on the 42K inspection. It does eat rear tires but the dual compounds last a little longer. For this type of bike, it's been pretty cheap to keep.

I get about 45 mpg average but most of my commute is highway.

I've started wondering what to replace it with and I'm having a hard time thinking of a bike that makes more sense for me than just getting another Sprint.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have been commuting for the past two+ years (33,000kms) in traffic on my '00 Sprint. Never ever had starting problems, breakdowns or any other issues apart from normal servicing wear and tear. It's a bit like driving an F-18 through the traffic but I love it. I should be cycling now because I am close enough to work but find it hard to get motivated enough to leave the Sprint at home.

I reckon its a great all round bike.

Oh and I don't to carry a screwdriver in my pocket like I did with my old Beamer just to keep the carbs set.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I just started commuting with the bike, mainly interstate, about 30mi per day round trip. I just put on a pair of Pirelli Diablo Strada's so maybe I will not be going through tires excessively. So far I am seeing high gas millage in the high 40's. Droning along at 70 or so is functional (in that it gets me to work), but IMHO the bike is much better in the twisties.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
FYI- I have Givi bags I leave on all the time and an 18 tooth front sprocket. The 18 gives it plenty of pickup for the stop & go, but doesn't keep it from tearing into the triple digits with a quickness.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
264 Posts
Use it every day to get to work...around a 20km round trip. Free parking in the city.

I get around 7ltrs per 100km (according to the display) in the city runs and around 5.5 to 6 per 100km in country runs.

Zips through traffic easy, great take-off and with a top box it has good storage...I don't use the panniers for daily runs, only on hikes out of town.

Another option would be the BMW F800 series (for around the same price second hand or new)...not as much power or torque, but an excellent all round bike IMHO.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts