Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, people- I'm new here, just registered to see if you fine people can give me a little help? :confused:

I'm eying-up a 1996 Tiger 885 that's been sat in a local used bike dealer for a while... I've had a sit on it, and the height is perfect for me, and I've had a chat with the salesman, and he's obviously ready to haggle a bit, just to move it on...:) Problem is, I've herd a lot about mid-90's Triumphs, and it's not all good- and this is a fairly high-milage bike (near 40,000)... :suspicious:

If anyone has, or has had a Tiger of this age, I'd be greatful for any advice on common faults, anything that's likely to need checking/replacing either due to the milage, or the fact she's been stood there (Indoors, thankfully!!) for over 2 years, at least. Anything in particular to listen for, or look at when it's running? any weak spots in the finish, or anything likely to corrode? what might have siezed in the time it's been stood? (Obviously, they're going to check the brakes, and clean the carbs before it can go anywhere!) any help much appreciated!! :3dcool:

Also, I'm un the UK, so being caught-out in sudden downpours is fairly likely, even though I intend to keep this as a summer bike- so if there's any weak electrics or such that I might need to be careful of, I'd appreciate any info!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Metal Boff!

There is plenty of knowledge out there so I'll give you what I know for starters;

Firstly, I had a 1993 model. The 1996 model should have had some of the inherant faults ironed out however there are others more knowledgable on this subject who can confirm exactly which years had which mods. It's generally a sound bike. At that mileage, if the bike has been looked after well, I would expect it to have lots of life left.

Problems affecting the 'Steamer' models include (do a search);
Sprag clutch
D.A.R.- dreaded alternator rattle
Ignition pick-up coil failure - this one had me foxed for ages because it was temperature-dependant.
Fairing-tank fixings turning instead of undoing
Dirt in carbs/poor air filtration (replacing the air cleaner is such a pain in the bum that I suspect some owners leave it too long). Make sure the dealer actually does take the carbs off and cleans them if the bike has been stood for so long.
Blocked breather to tank (starves the carbs as the air pressure drops asnd does not allow the gravity feed to work)

Useful enhancements;
Upgraded brakes, especually the front. Braided hoses & EBC HH pads
Stiffer fork springs or spacers to reduce dive
Later style Keihin carbs (96 might already have these) to improve economy

Good luck - but wait for more replies because I know I have not covered everything.

Cheers,
Jon

PS it won't stay as a summer-only bike, you'll see.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, Kohnny 955, thanks for the info- just a couple of hings that might sound obvious to you, but I've only been riding a couple of years, so don't laugh too much! :eek:

I'm suffering with the sprag clutch on my old CB, now (That's my winter bike- it's one of the rarer 'F2-C' models, with the full fairing still intact!) so I'm guessing that causes lazy starting?

What kind of rattle would the alternator give?- I'm not used to the sound of a tripple, buut I'm told they are fairly mechanically noisy, so I'm not sure what to listen for?! :confused:

You said the pick-up coil was temperature dependant- did it fail when it was hot, or cold- and what did it cause?

How would I check the tank breather? -I'd guess the bike would have to be running for a while before it caused any problems...?

Is anything you mentioned especially expensive to fix? :eek:

·
Registered
724 Posts
Hi MB, The original Tiger was always on my wish list, then the Girly happened by:) If its a good price and looks in good nick for the year then go for it, probably going to be a future classic?? Anyways you could always haggle some warrenty?

·
Registered
113 Posts
96 Tiger questions

I have had a 96 Tiger for three years now. It has around 40,000 miles and still runs like a charm. Living in washington, it gets to run in lots of rain, including downpours and has never had any electrical issues at all. I love the bike and am putting more money in to new chain and sprocket as well as lowering the beast a bit so I can keep using it a couple more years until the mythical "Tiger Cub - 675 " either appears or my bike dies.

Take it for a ride and be sure the height doesn't bother you, but otherwise they are great bikes and do seem to run forever.

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, when I sat on it in the shop, it felt about the same as (or maybe even a little lower than?!) my '82 CB750, and I've been riding that all winter with no problems...

What do you think of putting spacers in the forks to help stop it diving so much under braking?
And does the '96 model have the Keihein carbs?

And thanks for the welcomes, people!! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts