Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am looking to buy a 2004 low mileage Thruxton and wondered if there has been any modifications made by Triumph since the introduction of the Thruxton apart from paint schemes. I know you guys will know??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,915 Posts
Nope. No changes.
Welcome to the club.
Steve

[ This message was edited by: rodburner on 2007-02-28 20:27 ]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,142 Posts
On 2007-02-28 19:28, roadminge wrote:
Hi

I am looking to buy a 2004 low mileage Thruxton and wondered if there has been any modifications made by Triumph since the introduction of the Thruxton apart from paint schemes. I know you guys will know??
Sweet! I'm picking up a low mileage 04 Thrux this friday. I've got a 580 mile ride home. :-D

[ This message was edited by: d2mini on 2007-02-28 20:43 ]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
On 2007-02-28 20:43, d2mini wrote:
Sweet! I'm picking up a low mileage 04 Thrux this friday. I've got a 580 mile ride home. :-D

wow, a 580 mile first ride on a new bike, hope its all on the twisties, now that will be fun. i`ve never managed more that 110 miles before hitting reserve now that she`s run in, thats five/six fuel stops.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
858 Posts
On 2007-02-28 19:28, roadminge wrote:
Hi

I am looking to buy a 2004 low mileage Thruxton and wondered if there has been any modifications made by Triumph since the introduction of the Thruxton apart from paint schemes. I know you guys will know??
the only change that i know of is the stripe...solid vs checkered. i prefer the checkered. i've got an '04 thrux and love it. my bet, is that you will too. congrats!

G
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,142 Posts
On 2007-03-01 13:30, typhoo wrote:

wow, a 580 mile first ride on a new bike, hope its all on the twisties, now that will be fun. i`ve never managed more that 110 miles before hitting reserve now that she`s run in, thats five/six fuel stops.
A lot of it is twisties! Heading South out of little rock on 30 then cutting across to Mena on 270, 70 and 88 and taking 88 and 1 (talimena trail) up into OK, then taking 259 all the way south into Texas to Houston.
Lots of fuel stops will be good though. I've giving myself 2 days (a third if needed). Bringing my Nikon and plan on taking my sweet arse time. :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok seems like no changes then :-D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
173 Posts
What about country of manufacture?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,038 Posts
I asked this question on another thread. I have noticed that the engine case on the primary side is different. This is where the breather lives. It is different on both the Bonnie and the Thruxton.
Nobody seems to know why the difference. I have asked a couple of dealers and they didn't even notice that there was a difference. Because it effects the breather I suspect it might have to do with emissions; however this is only a guess.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,701 Posts
After looking at the new Thruxtons & Bonnies this weekend I noticed the same thing..that being, that the engine case is different adjacent to the Oil Breather hose. When I asked I didn't get any good answers either other than an acknowledgment that it is different.

Also the engine case itself being black in color.

Newer 865 Engine Case Example

Pic credit to rbrian_taylor.

This is an '06 with the original silver finish, but if you look closely, you can see the casting change on the engine casing.



[ This message was edited by: kingmoham on 2007-03-12 16:15 ]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,701 Posts
Received my answer from Triumph Hinkley on the engine changes thats we've noticed. Here's what their spokesman says;

"The casing colour was change because of the requested we had had from our customers for black engine cases.

The change in the breather system was from the timed breather to a labyrinth system. This meant that there are less parts in the engine and it also reduced the oil mist going into the air box. Another benefit, is the fact that if a bike fell over with the engine running, the timed breather could starve the crank of oil leading to a failure of the bearings. The labyrinth system has greatly reduced the chance of that happening.
Apart from that, no other changes have been made the engine, and it still produces the same amount of power as yours.

I hope this has answered your question."

Best Regards
Pete Clarke
Factory Tour Guide
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
503 Posts
On 2007-03-12 08:24, kingmoham wrote:
After looking at the new Thruxtons & Bonnies this weekend I noticed the same thing..that being, that the engine case is different adjacent to the Oil Breather hose. When I asked I didn't get any good answers either other than an acknowledgment that it is different.

Also the engine case itself being black in color.

Newer 865 Engine Case Example

Pic credit to rbrian_taylor.

This is an '06 with the original silver finish, but if you look closely, you can see the casting change on the engine casing.

Differences to'05-'06 to'07 are the paint on the mudguards and the tank and seat cowl.

Engine case changed from silver to black.

Headlite brakets changed from laquered brushed alloy to powder coated satin black

Wheel rims changed from silver anodoised to polished clear anodised finish

Cheers................agro

[ This message was edited by: agro on 2007-03-16 20:25 ]
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top