Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am only 5' 5" about 130 lbs, and cannot for the life of me get my Sprint up on the center stand. This is the first bike I have owned with center stand, so definitely not up on technique. Do I just need to get someone with a little more muscle to help or is it more of just learning the "technique"?:confused:

·
Registered
218 Posts
It's the technique, but the technique requires a bit of brute force - the bike's size/weight makes it intimidating if you're not practiced at it - I always felt like I was going to lean the bike too far away from me and tip it over, or mis-step and pull it down on top of me. Here's what works well for me consistently:
Put your right foot on the stand and push down so it presses against the ground. With your handlebars unlocked, put your left hand on your left grip and your right hand on the black metal protrusion near the left side passenger footpeg. Use your body to rock the bike back (not so much "up") and keep your foot on the centerstand for leverage, and you should be able to rock the bike backwards and up onto the stand. Practice this on a smooth, level surface with good traction / grip for whatever footwear you're wearing, to get the hang of it. You may want to have a friend help stabilize the bike on the other side the first couple times you try it. Once you get used to it, it's a piece of cake, but yeah - when I first tried doing it I was very nervous. :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well, I am way beyond your 130lbs...but, at 6ft and 240lbs, I still found getting my Sprint 1050 on the centerstand intimidating at first. Now that I have done it enough, it is like second nature and does NOT require a huge amount of brute force...you just need strong legs cause that is what you are going to use.

Do what I did, go to YOU TUBE and google 'centerstand'. There was a guy who had a video up and he did a good job of explaining and demonstrating how to get a bike up on the centerstand.

Good Luck...motorcycles are not about strength, they are about technique.

·
Registered
218 Posts
technique

I found using the centerstand for my Trophy was a impossible. I had one rider stop and show me the technique. 70% skill and 30% strength. Sq the bike on the stand. Put your right foot pointing towards the front of the bike. Stand with heel down and toes slightly up. Rock it up on the stand. Good Luck, Joe

·
Premium Member
24,342 Posts
Good advice about technique.

A tip is if you are busting your foo foo valve you are doing it all wrong.

I am 5'10" and a solid 220lbs and have ridden all my life for me it is a cinch but I was "shown" by my biker mates when I was a lad how it was done.

Strength has very little to do with it at all.

Good luck scbulldog .:)

DaveM

·
Registered
896 Posts
Getting it on the stand the 1st few times can be difficult, but not impossible.
Just don`t grap the plastics with your right hand by mistake, or you risk damages :eek:
I can now do it by rolling/rocking the bike slowly back about 1ft, while at the same time putting my right foot on the stand, pushing it down, and as the bike rolls, the momentum, literally puts the bike on the stand by itself.

However putting the bike on the stand whist your on the other side, (as I have to do sometimes to get it located in the garage) can have you thinking the veins in your neck are about to burst due to the lack of leverage

·
Registered
444 Posts
One nice thing about being "lightness challenged", I suppose.

I just hold the left handlebar, the rear grab rail/luggage rack, push the stand down to make firm contact with the ground with my right foot as I push to the right to "center" the bike on the stand (taking it off the kickstand), and once it's centered I push down firmly and smoothly with the right foot, and viola, it lifts right up.

I'd say 90% of my force is directed into the stand itself, with a little being directed pushing the grab rail to the rear, and almost none being applied to the left bar, that's strictly for balance.

I've tried using the designated lifting area, but find the angle awkward going that low. At 5"11 and 270, it's far easier to balance up using the grab-rail/luggage rack.

·
Registered
322 Posts
My chiropractor yells at me everytime i try to get my bike on the center stand without the techneque I use. I rarely use the centerstand when Im riding/traveling. Most of the time when i use it, its when Im parking it at my shop for the day.

I have a 1/4 to 1/2" thin, 6" long piece of wood I leave laying on the floor. I roll the bike over it untill the rear wheel is up-on it, and 'POP', goes right up on the centerstand very very easy with hardly any effort at all. If im on the road and need to put it up on the centerstand, I just look around. Block of wood, a branch...anything i can find to get the rear end up. Makes it a snap to get it up!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I was scared silly when I tried it the first couple of times the bike would topple... it wont.

The trick I was taught when I on a school bike was you push it down a little lean on it and you feel the bike stand up straight and feel the feet of the stand steady it on the ground. Then I hold on where the read foot rest is bolted to the frame and put all my weight on my foot, this is what does most of the lifting, with all your weight there then you lean to the back and lift a little and it slowly moves up onto the stand. Once you've done it a few times it's not that bad. Remember, the pushing down with your foot is doing most the lifting.

I was also nervous getting it off the stand, most to to be honest. I put the side stand down before I push it off the center stand so that if I do get the balance wrong it'll land on the side stand, though the first time or two I did this I had my wife stand on the other side just in case.

This is my 2nd bike, first is a light 125 with no center stand, so tis was, and still is, very intimidating. Get someone to stand on the other side the first time just to help you feel better.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Pretty much as sincity has done it.

As a side not, I've found my '08 Sprint ST practically jumps up on the center stand compared to my '02, and '99 Sprint STs, Sprint Executive, and multiple airhead BMWs, that preceded it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally got it up!

Set up for "that's what she said" joke.:D Thanks for all of the advice, Pierre, your trick is what really helped in my situation. Had my neighbor "spot" me a few times, and then it was a piece of cake. This site is awesome and Ihave gained a lot in a short time here. I was a weekend warrior for years on my harley, got the Sprint a little over two months ago and I am riding just about everyday. Seems to get more fun as I go!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Glad to hear your now able to get your bike on the center stand.

I'm surprised that no one here gave advise strait from a Triumph's owners manual on the proper technique of using the center stand.

I don't know what year your bike is, mine is an 05 and on page 37 of the owners Manuel shows the proper way to use the center stand.

I have owned a lot of bikes over the years 4 of those bikes including the sprint had center stands and I have used the same technique over the years that is described in the Manuel.

From the book

"To set the motorcycle up on the center stand step down firmly on the foot finder part of the stand, then lift the motorcycle up and to the rear using the lifting handle as a handhold"

The hand hold is on the left side of the bike it is the upper edge of the pillion footrest hanger.

Some folks said to use your right foot on the center stand this is not safe and please don't lift your bike standing on the right side this could result in dropping your bike and getting hurt.

Lift from the left side of the bike that way if you lose control of your bike it will come to rest on it's side stand. Worst case scenario if the bike were to fall over to the right side at a 130 Lbs. I'm not sure how well you would be able to prevent the bike from doing some physical damage to yourself.

The owners manual is a little vague in every thing that needs to take place as you execute the procedure. Here's a quick step by step on how I get my bike on the center stand.

I should also mention I just had Carpal tunnel surgery with in the last week and can't really use my right hand, but was able to just now go out and put the bike on it's center stand with the paniers on.

1. balance the bike on it's wheels I used the left handle bar and the grab rail behind the seat.

2. Once the bike is balanced I kept it balanced with the hand that just had surgery using the grab rail.

3. Grab the the lifting handle with your left hand positioning your body slightly to the right of were your 2 hands are positioned.

4. Press the center stand to the ground and apply pressure to it with your left foot as you pull up and back with your left arm and hand, your right hand is there mainly to keep the bike balanced you can also use your right hand to help in the pulling if needed.

Hope this adds to the othe r good advise given to this thread.

Cheers
Sticks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts