Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
2. Good point about the attitude...I find myself caught up in it at times...can't help myself. Tbird absolutely the best motorcycle I have owned in my 40 or so years of riding..but I do try and respect everyones choice of ride...After all, we all ride for different reasons and that is what is important....If I didn't ride I am sure I would be in some therapist's office trying to figure out why my dog hates me!!
Len
It is easy to get caught up in and does not stop with motorcycles. There is also the "My Triumph website is better than your Triumph website" attitude. When does it stop? Sure there will always be the schmuck in the group, but that does not mean all riders of that brand are snobs. I ride with about 40 different veterans that ride about 8 types of bikes. It does not matter what they ride, but that they ride.

Keep the rubber side down and if you are not scared, you are not going fast enough.

~Mick

·
Registered
6 Posts
Picked up a used 2010 with 1,800 miles yesterday and don't know why I waited so long. I've got a 2001 Sprint ST that I love and can't seem to part with. I've got a 2006 Tiger that I love and can't seem part with and now this Thunderbird. Haven't told the wife yet, but I'm sure she'll love it too (after a brief lecture on "you can't own them all").

This beauty is a base T-bird, blue with the white stripe, big bore kit and most of the chrome add ons. The previous owner removed the cats and had the exhaust "reworked" (not sure exactly what was done) and it sounds fantastic. Not too loud, not too quiet, just right. When I was loading the bike, he tells me that he has a few parts that he had not quite gotten around to installing. He starts bringing out box after box after box. From what I can tell, there are only two or three accessories that he had failed to order from the Triumph catalog. From chrome wheels to saddle bags, long haul seats, windscreen and mounts, painted cowl, etc. etc. etc. The only things I could not find in the box were the chrome switch covers and master cylinder cover. So I ordered them today. I am old school when it comes to chrome. Never really understood the all black murdered look.

All in all, no regrets what-so-ever!

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
I have to say there are two things I have issues with...

1. The blinding chrome of the front end. It reeks havoc during the midday sun.
2. The snobbishness of some Triumph owners. Yes, it is a great bike but there are many other great bikes out there and our being Triumph owners does not make us a better breed.

Just my humble opinion.
Yes, that and the distressing amount of torque in all gears; it's very disconcerting to constantly be first pulling out from a light, and frankly it's embarrassing; I find myself slowing down to let other bikes catch up. I don't want them to somehow feel inferior and or think I'm a snob. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
706 Posts
It is easy to get caught up in and does not stop with motorcycles. There is also the "My Triumph website is better than your Triumph website" attitude. When does it stop? Sure there will always be the schmuck in the group, but that does not mean all riders of that brand are snobs. I ride with about 40 different veterans that ride about 8 types of bikes. It does not matter what they ride, but that they ride.

Keep the rubber side down and if you are not scared, you are not going fast enough.

~Mick
Let it go, seriously your the one who keeps bringing it up, LET IT GO!

·
Registered
19 Posts
My 2010 Thunderbird SE 1700

Great bike. I wanted a cruiser and that's just exactly what it is. At the age of 72, I was exhausted after a 350 mile day on lighter bikes, quicker-handling bikes. While it doesn't have the lean angle of a Street Triple, Daytona or Thruxton, I don't even care since I have stopped leaning that far anyhow :)) It goes through the twisties exactly where I want it to go and cruises effortlessly at 70-75 mph.

Considering that I had both a T100 and T120 "back in the old days" (mid-late 50's and early 60's) and then an 2006 America, along with some other bikes in the middle, this is by far the best overall. And, The Motor Company doesn't make anything even close :))

My really big wish is that they had made the clutch and brake levers adjustable. I have relatively small hands and arthritis in the left wrist right under the thumb and the "reach" for the clutch is substantial. I also had the dealer-installed big bore kit added to my 2010 SE and that changes the clutch springs to a stiffer version. When riding in colder weather with the thicker insulated gloves, the "reach" becomes even more difficult. Thankfully, with this much torque, up in the N. Georgia mountain twisties, I pretty much just stick it in 3rd and leave it there.

This bike has about 10k miles on it now, my having taken delivery at the end of October, 2010 (I traded the '06 America). Of that, I put about 8250 on it last summer and wore out a set of tires. Several different multiple-night overnight trips.

My only other wish is that tire mileage was better than the approx 6k on the rear and 8k on the front that I have experienced so far. And it appears that both Avon and Bridgestone now have tooled up with these tires sizes so Metzeler no longer has an exclusive.

Love it bike. Will ride it until I hang up my spurs for good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thought I regretted the colour choice, i bought mine in phantom black but thought that either the blue or silver would look better. However when Tiko presented her to me in their new showroom she was just perfect!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
well if no one else will say it I will........as of now I regret it!!! should have seen it coming the day I picked it up. the common anti-freeze leak started at the dealer before i got it started for the very first time. two hours later took it home to find it still leaking. and any and all other t-bird related failures for the next 2500 miles. it is currently in the shop waiting for a part, one month and counting. see the thread "should have bought a harley" and think long and hard before buying. some say its the dealer but there are very few options in that department. I am going to give this bike another chance to see if it is worthy, if it fails its for sale!!! just my 2 cents

·
Registered
459 Posts
well if no one else will say it I will........as of now I regret it!!! should have seen it coming the day I picked it up. the common anti-freeze leak started at the dealer before i got it started for the very first time. two hours later took it home to find it still leaking. and any and all other t-bird related failures for the next 2500 miles. it is currently in the shop waiting for a part, one month and counting. see the thread "should have bought a harley" and think long and hard before buying. some say its the dealer but there are very few options in that department. I am going to give this bike another chance to see if it is worthy, if it fails its for sale!!! just my 2 cents
I commented on the other thread and in most cases with cars, bikes or anything else the dealer can make the difference. I will give you one thing, I've been trying to get a front brake hose for my SE for over a month now and still nothing from Triumph USA or UK. The local HD/Triumph dealer is trying to get the hose and they sat on the phone with Triumph USA for nearly two hours one day while I was there trying to figure out the hose issue when risers are installed. My regret is putting the Rivco risers on with out first finding or custom make the correct front brake hose for an ABS Bird. The biggest issue I can see with Triumph or many other non-mainstream foreign brands is parts availability, OEM or Aftermarket. The best thing about the Asian bikes and even HD is you can practically get parts at Walmart for them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Owned my 2011 Storm now for about 6 weeks (bought it new end of Feb 2012). I have 1,500 miles on it and love it more and more every time I ride it. No lie... I really do. Outside of the "normal for TB" engine noises, I have a rattle that's appeared that's driving me nuts cause I can't seem to track it down (I think it's the blinkers on the front forks). And that is honestly my only complaint with the bike; not really "a big deal." I love everything about the bike and couldn't be happier. With that said, be they on a Honda, Yamaha, HD, Triumph... doesn't everyone with a motorcycle say the same thing?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I love everything about the bike and couldn't be happier. With that said, be they on a Honda, Yamaha, HD, Triumph... doesn't everyone with a motorcycle say the same thing?
Mmmmmm..... Yeah, you speak the truth, BUT, I've owned 1 Suzuki, 2 Yamahas, Ridden Victories, Honda's and HD's, and I can tell you, I smile everytime I ride the T-bird, little intricacies, thats called Unique :)

Al'
P.S . Sell the America, buy the storm, YOU'LL NEVER BUY ANOTHER BIKE hhehehehehehe

·
Registered
701 Posts
Mmmmmm..... Yeah, you speak the truth, BUT, I've owned 1 Suzuki, 2 Yamahas, Ridden Victories, Honda's and HD's, and I can tell you, I smile everytime I ride the T-bird, little intricacies, thats called Unique :)

Al'
P.S . Sell the America, buy the storm, YOU'LL NEVER BUY ANOTHER BIKE hhehehehehehe
+1 on sell the America and buy the Storm.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
684 Posts
Well I see this thread is still going, so I'll throw in an update. I have now had my bird for over a year, and have roughly a bit over 3600 miles. She is now fully broken in, and the few minor kinks that presented themselves after purchase have all been taken care of. This bike is a dream to ride, and my only regret is that I don't currently have money to throw at more accessories. I am still in love with this bike as much as the day I first rode her home.

·
Registered
3 Posts
H-E-(double hockey sticks) No!!

Amazing bike. Picked up the storm last year as my second bike, triumph had a upgrade promo going last year. First bike was an America and after a thousand klicks i traded up. I bought this bike as a tourer/ around town bomber. It kills. Put 11,000 km on it last year in British Columbia. On some of the best roads and worst. Going way over the posted limit at times. It corners like a dream, only scrapped the pegs once. Deals well in wet conditions so long as your cautious of course.
Only real beef is its really hard to do any extras on it. Ive been doing lots of research and finally some options are coming available. Other beef id say is the levers are non adjustable and i have small hands size nine gloves. or medium.
Moral of the story is get it. Its a cruiser that you don't commonly see out there, i never saw one in those 11,000 km. An army of Harley awaits you, but don't worry you can pass every one of em.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
My only regret is not living down South where I can ride all year. :(

(40*F rain)
Seattle's been the same way, though the sun is *finally* starting to peek through the clouds and things are starting to dry up a bit.

'Course, soon as I say that and then check the Weather Channel site, showers are predicted for the next 9 out of 10 days. :mad:

41 - 60 of 65 Posts