Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
before I take her in again?

6months, about 5k on her

starting issues, after being warmed up wont start even with full throttle

took gas cap off, put on reserve just in case only 70mi on the oddo, checked the kill switch and stand, battery was OK but I wore it down trying

just pushed her home about 2 miles, filled with gas, charged the battery and she winds up like a top

just took her in a month ago would not start and was told bad gas, battery has since been erratic

it seems like a gas problem, maybe a screwy petcock or choke?

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
That's easy.

Igniter has gone bad.

Let me guess, the bike will start up when cold...but once it gets warmed up...it sputters and dies and won't start for at least 30 minutes. You can't even get a spark...the bike just turns but won't catch.

Igniter, coil, or pick-up. All are covered under warranty.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks man, ya it wont start when warmed up sometimes, last time i took it in they said bad gas (not covered under warranty) (but he still started it in full throttle) and charged me $200 for spark plugs and filter and 2.5 hrs work

im gonna get my money back :knkknk: and make them fix it

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Yup, what Mark described is what happened to me. The pick up went bad. Or was bad straight from the factory, actually. Happened to me the first time i rode for more than 25 minutes.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
On 2007-02-26 22:26, sweatmachine wrote:
sounds like a man that's been there before!
Oh yeah....been there and done that. I've spent 2 hours going 5 miles more that once. Ride it....it dies....push for twenty minutes...hop on and ride it for another 4 minutes before it dies again....push it some more...

It sucked... :(

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Jbay,

IMHO, you need to have a heart-to-heart talk with the owner or GM at your Triumph dealers...if it had bad gas in it, they probably put it in if it only has 70 miles on the odo. Get them to fix the electrical problems with the bike and REFUND your money they charged you for NOT even trying to find and fix the problem.

Keep cool but be firm and don't accept any bull***** answers or reasons for it not starting. New bikes that won't start with Japanese carbs have electrical problems--not fuel problems.

If there is another dealer within 75 miles, take it there for service in the future...the dealer you bought the bike from should be selling only used cars. I can't imagine a dealer in the ******* states getting by with that kind of BS for very long...he!! some old ******* would whup his a$$ over that kind of attitude and non service on a new bike with problems. Triumph has a long way to go if they are going to whip their dealers in line--some seem to be hopeless.

Larry

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Geez, Larry why hold back? Why don't you say what you really think?

:-D :gpst:

Monte

Oh, yeah. I agree. What Larry said.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts