Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!
I'm a newbie from Milwaukee WI and I have a 99 Adventurer. I'd wanted a bike for about the past 10 years or so, and I finally got one- and a Triumph, no less! I was able to put on about 2000 miles before the first snow, and now it's sitting in my garage. Instead of riding, I am relegated to sitting here and thinking about what can be done for next season.
I've been reading many posts about the bike I have, and I'm becoming a bit more aware of it's strengths and weaknesses. I lack experience on other bikes, and I'm wondering, can my bike be used for touring? (I'm talking about trips of 1500 miles or less). This may be a terribly naive question, but I figure that this is the best place to find someone else who has cabin fever and wants to talk about this...

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Engine guards with footpegs so you can stretch out those legs. I have a set of Engine Guards from Ma's Cycles with some cheapo clamp on footpegs.

A windshield. I was never one for the look, but keeping the wind off you lets you ride alot longer without getting beat up. You can also handle colder weather. At Toller's recommendation I bought a National Cycle Plexistar 2.

Maybe Toller with chime in here, I believe he rigged up an Auxilliary Tank.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Sure, the bike will go touring, but will you go with it? I ride all over on my Bonneville and take a break when I feel the need.
Get on it and GO - whoosh!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Wind shields suck-at night or in the rain. Can't seem through them if they're high and if they're set up right (top of screen level with mouth) you get a nasty bit of turbulence on your head at higher speeds. Pootling along at 60 is fine, though. Unless it rains or the Sun goes in.

Get the luggage bars for the Legend-quite common on Ebay and pretty cheap. Then fit soft luggage if there's no risk of theft or hard if there is. Uprate your headlight. Service the bike. Take essential tools etc and off you go.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
another windshield opinion

I had a Triumph tombstone style screen on my 99 Legend, and while it was fine around town, it made the front end very unstable on the interstates. Also concentrated the air dams around semis when they passed, and wow, that was not cool. I ride it naked (the bike) now, and feel much more stable on the interstates, etc.. Yes, there is more air hitting me, but it is predictable, and the front end stays planted where it belongs. As for luggage, the Triumph hardware is expensive and hard to find, but someone mentioned using a bungee cord in a clever set up, and that might be perfect. Do a search and you'll find plenty on this. Personally, I consider my Legend a minimalist touring machine, meaning the journey is the focus and not the destination. Using back roads and taking a break to stretch the legs when necessary, as well as stopping to investigate any place or shop I find interesting is all very much a part of the experience. If you find yourself wanting to get from point A to point B on the slabs as comfortably as possible, or do lots and lots of miles per day, get a real touring bike, and save the Triumph for when you want to ride for the pleasure of the riding itself.

·
Registered
188 Posts
You can tour on damn near any machine that will go 90 mph. you must get crash bars or a single left side parking lot crash with gear on board and you'll loose your shifter. I like a windshield, others find it ruins the lines. Have a look at highly modified thunderbirds for my less then pristine but highly modified machine. I also prefer hard saddlebags. I have a friend who put Jesse saddle bags on; bike looks great thought hose bags cost a fortune You can keep all the lines on the bike clean by using a big duffle for your gear.

Carrying a lot of gear does effect handling and gas mileage; so who's surprised at that? It won't make you crash. If wind or big trucks bother you, ride more, you'll get used to it, or stick with 2 lane blacktop roads. (ride your own ride and all that)

My biggest gripe with the the legend TT is the smallish gas tank. When you ride with BMW guys who go 150 miles between stops, 4.2 gallons just won't do, so I added an extra tank. but the stock setup is just fine. Start with fresh tires; fresh oil change and a credit card and you're good to go.

A cool place to go in mid july is the superbike or vintage days at mid ohio, less than 400 miles for you. And in your own back yard, Elkhart Lake is a great track that also has superbike races.

Get a can-do attitude and hit the road.

·
Registered
188 Posts
At Toller's recommendation I bought a National Cycle Plexistar 2.

Maybe Toller with chime in here, I believe he rigged up an Auxilliary Tank.
How do you like the windshield?

You can set that puppy high or low, angle it or have it near straight up and down. I always look over the thing except in the rain, at which time I go faster which enlarges the air envelope and keeps me dryer. Someone else mentioned being unstable in the wind; maybe so, though I have always found the legend to happily run dead straight with no wiggle when I take my hands off the bars. Other bikes wiggle much more. I haven't gone much over 100 mph with the windshield, but it hasn't caused harm other than maybe a little less gas mileage in exchange for keeping my neck from getting sore.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot for all the responses! Sage advice to be sure. My bike already has forward riding pegs that straddle the engine, and I have the (tombstone style) windscreen that Toller mentioned.

A couple of other questions- I've heard of Aeroflow windscreens, but I haven't been able to find them for my bike. It's louder than hell at freeway speeds(Are earplugs legal?), but I'm still physically comfortable at 75. I've also heard the classic triples referred to as "tank slappers' - I don't have much riding experience on other bikes to compare it to, but the Adventurer seems remarkably stable at freeway speeds even with the stock screen- so I'm not certain that I even want to mess with it.

Having read your responses along with other posts, I will admit that a 6th gear would be a nice option. Would it be worth my time to change out the rear sprocket (not to necessarily increase top speed, but to lower my r.p.m. at cruising speeds)?

Finally, I would love to hear about that auxiliary fuel tank setup. Toller, if you wouldn't mind sharing some knowledge, I'm all ears...

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
You can change your sprockets to cruise at lower RPM. There are alot of threads about that in here.

Toller, I love the Plexistar 2. Sure it screws up the lines of the bike visually, but it is clear so it looks better than most. It also comes off in seconds. It went on very easily. I put some MacGuires polish on it. The rain rolls right off of it. The shape of it covers my hands and is very stable at high speed. Deifinitely the right choice for my Legend.

·
Premium Member
3,435 Posts
It's a good ride for touring - enjoy. Capable of an Iron Butt is you like. I don't mind the frequent fuel stops - ready for a break by 130 miles anyway.

The Adventurer has factory mount points that can easily accomodate hard bags - much simpler than on Legends and T-Birds. Givi bags are good. Champion makes a few bags that look the part for these bikes very well!

I carry a spare ignition coil and a throttle cable with me, and always a good compliment of fuses. Keep your batery topped off. Some folks may recommend that for touring, you replace the spoked, tube type wheels with cast wheels, that can run tubeless tires. They are much easier for a roadside repair. I have run 100s of 1000s of miles on tube tires though, and only had 1 flat.... I would recommend getting roadside assistance coverage. Progressive Insurance adds that to your policy for $8 per year.

·
Registered
188 Posts
(snip)
Finally, I would love to hear about that auxiliary fuel tank setup. Toller, if you wouldn't mind sharing some knowledge, I'm all ears...
You need to be a capable tinkerer to go my route. The iron butt people use much more expensive rigs; mine was less than 200.00. On Adventure Rider you'll see an assortment of creative fuel cell mounting methods.

This was my original setup:

then I went with this

Fuel cell new was 105.00 delivered from Summit Racing; fuel pump was about 50 from ebay.

·
Registered
277 Posts
j-
If you've got the Triumph roadster screen which is the tombstone that is nearly vertical, my suggestion is that you take it off and try a test ride on the highway. Mine created so much turbulence that my vision blurred. Totally different bike without it. So much better. I made some brackets to change the angle, but have just been riding it naked. Now htat it's too cold to ride I'll finish up the mod and keep you posted on any changes.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Anyone found any hard saddlebags that will fit the Adventurer? Givi has told me they do not have anything for my bike. I am trying to do something similar so the info on this thread has been great.

I did find a great trunk from Coocase that will fit and has brake lights built in. Can hold two helmets but needs hard cases to keep with the look.

Does someone make bag guards for softbags that fit? I would prefer to have hard bags but might have to go this way. I believe I might be able to use the cobra verson that fits a VTX 1300C

Didn't know they made engine guards for the Adventurer. I like the looks of those at Ma's Cycles. This thread has been a great help.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Butt Comfort

I think the main item on this bike that needs to be upgraded for touring is the seat. The stock one sux. Agree with ssevy about the screen. I had a Roadster screen and it was scary on the super slab. Ride naked now....I also want a bike to tour two up on so I will be getting an additional bike. The Triumph will never go away, and it is the best for local/ short hauls, but I want something else to do those long rides on. Maybe a new Thunderbird?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks to all!

:goodpost:

Thanks again to everyone who responded. I am looking forward to experimenting with the bike come spring. I already have some really nice leather saddlebags, but the sheepskin seat cover seems like a solid idea.
Removing the windscreen is a fantastic idea- I wondered how anyone could ride without one (it never occurred to me that the one I have was creating all the massive turbulence that was hitting my face.

I was looking on one of the other threads, and someone mentioned replacing the rear sprocket with one from a tractor supply co. Is this advisable? I would imagine that anything made by Triumph will cost a mint, but if others have done this safely please let me know.

I was also wondering about luggage racks- How much weight can my rear fender handle? I have a sissy bar and I thought about using bungee cords to strap a dry bag on the back, with the bottom of the bag resting on the fender. Has anyone out there done this before?

I originally wrote this post to try and deal with cabin fever- it's currently 17 degrees here, and it's supposed to snow again tonight... Cabin fever has become much worse, but I guess that's how it goes!

Happy New Year! ~

·
Registered
277 Posts
I had Spencer modify the seat on my bike. Recontoured a bit and added some super foam. You can spend from about $50 to $100 depending on what you want. It was an improvement and didn't change the looks. He's at GreatDayToRide.com.

·
Registered
84 Posts
altered gearing

Thanks a lot for all the responses! Sage advice to be sure. My bike already has forward riding pegs that straddle the engine, and I have the (tombstone style) windscreen that Toller mentioned.

A couple of other questions- I've heard of Aeroflow windscreens, but I haven't been able to find them for my bike. It's louder than hell at freeway speeds(Are earplugs legal?), but I'm still physically comfortable at 75. I've also heard the classic triples referred to as "tank slappers' - I don't have much riding experience on other bikes to compare it to, but the Adventurer seems remarkably stable at freeway speeds even with the stock screen- so I'm not certain that I even want to mess with it.

Having read your responses along with other posts, I will admit that a 6th gear would be a nice option. Would it be worth my time to change out the rear sprocket (not to necessarily increase top speed, but to lower my r.p.m. at cruising speeds)?

Personally, I wouldn't mess with the gearing. If you gear it for highway speeds, you will curse it every time you want to tackle a mountain pass. Gear it for the twisties, and it wil rev its nuts off on an open road. Life is a compromise.

·
Registered
84 Posts
tank slappers?

I always thought tank slappers were the fat girls one picks up at a bar at the end of a hard day's riding.......

1 - 20 of 38 Posts