Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
May be getting a second bike soon that will be chain driven, but i remember the days before mt Tbird when i HATED chain maintenance and cleaning the wheel ever 2 seconds. Has anything better come along since then? I remember using so called no sling products that didn't live up to their name back then, wondering about these days.

·
Registered
2022 T120
117 Posts
I haven't had a chain drive motorcycle in over 50 years. My Bonneville was really the only bike that interested me, but chain maintenance is a big pain in the butt. If Moto Guzzi made a comparable model it would be in my garage.
kk

·
Registered
2017 T100
47 Posts
I loath shaft drive bikes, I find them heavy and inefficient. (I’ve owned plenty of them)
modern o-ring chains are pretty trouble free, I have over 32k miles on my Suzuki DL650‘s OEM chain. I only adjust the chain when changing the rear tire and I only lube the chain when I change the oil or have ridden for a while in the rain or got the bike really muddy.

for chain lube, I use DuPont chain saver, pro Honda chain lube with moly, or whatever else I have laying around thats oring safe.
I clean the chain using WD40 and a soft tooth brush, and wipe it all dry before adding the chain lube. I am careful to clean the exterior of the chain and the sprockets but not to use too much solvent to clear out the factory lube in the rings on the chain.
This same procedure has been with me and my chain driven bikes for years and works great for me.

I should add that I only have a few thousand miles on the T100 but with chrome rims and spokes I am more concerned about fling on the that bike than the DL650, so I have been leaning more towards the less flingy lubes I have.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yep, quite easy nowadays.

There are plenty of lubricant products that don't splash around like chain oil used to.
The latest I've used is by Castrol.

Modern O-rings seem to last better too. I clean the chain only once in a season, otherwise I'll just add lube. This riding mostly on paved roads, a bit of gravel and no mud-fun.

Chain seem to work and resist wear as well as the old ones with much more effort.

I'll have to add I'm not personally too fuzzy about the rear rim - I'll just keep it clean enough to avoid non-balance, but mine is definitely never spotless.

Attachments

·
Registered
Thruxton R 2019, Rocket Roadster 2012
290 Posts
Yep, quite easy nowadays.

There are plenty of lubricant products that don't splash around like chain oil used to.
The latest I've used is by Castrol.

Modern O-rings seem to last better too. I clean the chain only once in a season, otherwise I'll just add lube. This riding mostly on paved roads, a bit of gravel and no mud-fun.

Chain seem to work and resist wear as well as the old ones with much more effort.

I'll have to add I'm not personally too fuzzy about the rear rim - I'll just keep it clean enough to avoid non-balance, but mine is definitely never spotless.
If anyone in the uk is considering this Castrol stuff (which normally retails at £11 per tin), there's a seller on ebay uk offering 12 cans for £55 inc postage.
Mike

·
Registered
2005 T100
2,712 Posts
May be getting a second bike soon that will be chain driven, but i remember the days before mt Tbird when i HATED chain maintenance and cleaning the wheel ever 2 seconds. Has anything better come along since then? I remember using so called no sling products that didn't live up to their name back then, wondering about these days.
No, there has been no improvement or enlightenment. I'm about to clean my chain with WD-40 and then lubricate with silicone lube, but I am sure its all wrong.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
When I do anything to my chains, which is very rare, I use WD40 followed by Chain Wax product shown in the video. Seems to work out OK. I think most modern chains are pretty resilient. I don't usually log all that many miles per year, but still, I've rarely had to replace a chain. Maybe if I kept the bikes longer...?

·
Premium Member
'08 Bonneville, '17 Thruxton R, '22 Tiger Sport 660, '99 R1100S, '65 Ducati 350
23,305 Posts
I tried the Motul chain paste. It did a good job of lubing the chain… and the wheel and the turn signal and the seat and my back.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've used Bel-Ray chain lubes for years, seems to fling on the first ride, then minimally after that. I clean my rims after every other ride, and not much lube on the rag. They have 2 different kinds, both work very good and stay on the chain.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
How long have u used it? So u no longer clean your chain?
Bought my 016 T120 new. I cleaned the gray factory gunk off of the chain, applied chain saver and have used it ever since. I just don't get the urge to attack the chain and sprockets with kerosene and a tooth brush anymore.

·
Registered
2019 Street Twin
124 Posts
I use Maxima Chain Wax, and like the DuPont and other waxy products it works without flinging off excessively. It's important to let it sit after application so it can "thicken" and stick. I clean the chain with a spray bottle of kerosine (the main ingredient of WD-40, but much cheaper) and a brush, let dry, then spray this on. It's slightly yellow in color which helps ensure even and complete coverage. In my opinion, this small amount of maintenance is an easy price to pay for the advantages of chain drive.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I've used the dupont , works good huge can for cheap. Some nice very long lasting waxes have been created, kinda messy though. Guess you can make a mess with about any lube if you can't find a good technique to get it applied. I like the wax but you can really blast out grime with the dupont can with a angled hose and rag.

·
Premium Member
'08 Bonneville, '17 Thruxton R, '22 Tiger Sport 660, '99 R1100S, '65 Ducati 350
23,305 Posts
The Dupont stuff smells great, too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've used the DuPont stuff for the last 2 years, mostly riding in dirt with my Scrambler 1200 and a Honda 450. Dupont also makes a companion chain cleaner. With modern O-ring chains you're really just trying to keep the o-rings and rollers clean since the lube is inside on the rollers. I don't care how nasty the outside plates get since it doesn't really matter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I thought after 30 years of shaft drive motorcycles I would not like a chain drive. Engine response to the rear wheel is much quicker and far less expensive to maintain. Ever had to purchase a final drive unit for a BWW or dismantle the driveshaft to lubricate the splines?

I asked my Triumph dealer how often my chain and sprockets will last. His response was if you maintain it regularly, about 20,000 miles. If you neglect it, about 20,000 miles. I clean my chain about every 2-3000 miles and use a wax based lubricant maybe every 1500 miles. The trick to wax is to put it on after your long ride and let it "cure" overnight before riding again.

The current chain technology is nothing like those of the 60's and 70"s.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts