Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just a little something to keep me busy this winter. Alas,this is just the start,a new tunnel. But I plan to keep it not much bigger than this. :D

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Guess you're not planning on packing up the camping gear and going for that cross-the-continent ride any time soon. :p

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya got me there,TB.:D My wifes medical issues have me playing pretty close to home these days.Short,little rides of an hour or two is all I managed all summer long. I`m not a big traveler anyway,so a gallon or 2 is plenty.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Hope she gets well again soon.

BTW: I didn't think you were the ADV-rider type anyway.

·
Registered
249 Posts
do you have ideas of how its going to look? i havesome floating in my head... time to hit up the photoshop! i wish i had the skills you have.:D

·
Registered
486 Posts
Nice!

That's probably what I have in my reserve. ;)

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Progress is pretty slow,since I`m welding both the inside and outside of every seam I can get to..

But it is starting to take on a tank like appearance.

Both sides of the tank collect at the back,so no reserve.I`m going to make a matching removable tail piece/cowl/fender/reserve tank that will utilize the frame tubing as a slide in mounting point.I`ll tap it for a fuel line,but probably just use it as a "dump" tank,like filling a lawn mower, to start with.
As for the wife,she completed her brain surgery treatments last week.She was the first to get worked on at our favorite hospital,with their new Trilogy linear accelerator.It was awesome.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hey Rodburner,
When you cut the back of your frame off did you find the need to reinforce it at all or was it OK the way it is?

P.S. You and your wife are definately in my prayers...

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The rear of the frame is pretty well stable without the end,seat mounting section,but I`m paranoid,so I boxed it all in and cross braced it.Nothing fancy,just sheet metal.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
4 day weekends are sure nice.Plenty of time for welding and swearing..but the tank is done except for some grinding and POR-15 treatment.[It doesn`t leak,but why not overkill it?]

And spent a few hours today,making the tail tank.

Just need to make another gas cap,a couple brackets and an outlet bung/valve.
Then onto the seat:D I`m glad we`ve had mostly dry weather this weekend.I`ll be off work for knee surgery the week after next,and I doubt I`d be able to stand and weld for 5 or 6 hours straight,like this weekend.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was hoping for 3,but it will probably end up at 2-1/2.But thats plenty. My "sport" Bonnie tank is 2-1/2 and was plenty for all the rides I took this summer.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Get some Ace bars on and it would look F..ing awsome!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oz,I have a set of drag bars that I`m hoping to throw a custom bend into.:D

·
Registered
258 Posts
It's amazing how much less it looks like a Bonnie without the curvy tank, but I dig. Very flat-tracker-esque, but with fatter tires. Methinks it would look good going around dirt curves sideways at 100 mph.

... but of course, what wouldn't?

Best wishes regarding your wife. Sounds like no fun. Hope all goes well.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts