Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having just recently bought a new helmet..Bell Star Hess...I was wondering about the claims of anti fog all these top helmet companies claim. My bell fogs up within 30 seconds of sitting at a light, and everytime it rains. Same happened with my scorpion exo1000 before that. Has anyone actually experienced true no fog on there helmets straight from factory, its seems like such a marketing gimmick to me.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don't ride in conditions that would require fog prevention very often but from my skiing experiences where no optics that claim anti-fog actually work...

Buy some stuff to rub on the inside of the shield like cat crap or something (I'm sure some people around here know of better brands). Whatever the shield comes treated with to make it remotely anti-fog would probably wear off eventually anyway...even though it sounds like your problems start right out of the box.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks little joe will try that, my shield even fogs on clear 70 degree days, lol at marketing. Does that distort vision? Can you tell its there?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Some folks tend to breath through their mouth rather than their nose and that can make a difference in a full face helmet. Might want to be concious of that.

Ms B also has to crack her Shoei sheild up on the first click sometimes at lights as well. For anti-fog, she just uses scuba stuff out of her dive bag.

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
Easy anti-fog:
Take liquid dish detergent, and apply to inside of face shield. Buff until you can see through the shield with no streaks. Cheap anti-fog. Takes a little bit of elbow grease to get the streaks out.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Thanks little joe will try that, my shield even fogs on clear 70 degree days, lol at marketing. Does that distort vision? Can you tell its there?
If you put it on good and take your time putting it on with the minimal of air getting trapped, no, you can't tell it is there.
On cold days it will still fog a little while you're sitting still but it doesn't take anything to clear.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
I have had a few Scorpions. I haven't fogged the flip shield but the inside, tinted one will fog. I also find that removing the nose cover "breath guard" helps. Fog City shields fit on any helmet but you will see stars. Rainbow colored, multi-pointed stars when you ride at night.

You may be a special case. Have you considered a snowmobile helmet?

I just noticed you are in Florida. Maybe you have pneumonia?

·
Premium Member
7,462 Posts
Hold your breath.
Ever since I followed TheKurgan's advice and rubbed cat crap on my visor I always do.

Not only does it still fog up I keep getting chased by dogs.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I found that cat crap works as well as it's name...

I'm normally a Shoei guy and went with the pinlock inserts, absolutely works. I also recently picked up a Bell Star (Flying Tigers) and it seems to work well for me with both the stock shield and the transition shield (which is THE BOMB!!!).

·
Registered
10,267 Posts
I use a pinlock insert and it still fogs on the worst days: Chilly, very damp, early in the morning. It's better than no insert, though.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Surprised to hear about someone having fog issues with Scorpion. All mine have been great. But yes, the drop down visor does fog.

I don't like inserts or applications because of the added glare at night.

Just incase someone here still hasn't heard of the Foggy Respro: http://www.respro.com/products/racing/road-racing/foggy_mask/

Good luck and have fun, Mark H.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I bought a new Arai Signet Q with the pinlock shield and it works great. Never had any fog issues at all even on very cold mornings. My retired HJC was terrible about fogging. I had to ride with the visor cracked open.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
My Scorpion EXO 700 will fog sitting at a light, but is fine once riding. I removed the nose cover as well. RainX is supposed to work for anti fogging as well.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
My Scorpion EXO 700 will fog sitting at a light, but is fine once riding. I removed the nose cover as well. RainX is supposed to work for anti fogging as well.
Rain X will degrade your polycarbonate shield. After a few applications there will be microscratches on your lense which makes the lights at night do weird things...

·
Registered
528 Posts
I use a fogcity photosensitive(auto darkening) insert in my arai, works excellent in cold and rain, my only complaint is on sunny days riding into a shaded corner , can lead to momentary blindness it doesn`t lighten fast enough. I `ve over come this by having the visor just a crack open in these conditions.
I wouldn`t hesitate to buy another one.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts